HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #8251

want sushi better eat at jiro asap. he's 80+ alr
ASAP indeed his omakase meals are finished in under 15 mins! Not that I’ve been but I’ve heard from pp who do and they feel Jiro’s pace is ridiculously fast.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #8252
Supremacy Member

Those are mostly from tourists. -> Alarm bell!. Tourists are the one who also think Ichiran is the best ramen in Japan!
I normally avoid any places that are popular with Tourists since most can't actually differentiate the average and the good.
And they don't have much information since most food websites are written in Japanese like Tabelog.
I been to Tsukiji 7 times. Then i ate sushi there for 3 times at my first 3 visits after that i don't bother eating there since i think their quality is average and not worth the time + Money
Ahh cos i usually choose food rated 3.5 and above from tabelog. Sushi dai is 3.94 so o tot must be like dam awesome and worth the queue time

I ate at midori (3.58 i believe) during my last trip and thought the tuna was like heavenly already maybe cos im comparing to singapore’s standard
Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #8253
Master Member

want sushi better eat at jiro asap. he's 80+ alr
https://www.sushi-jiro.jp/%E6%9C%AC%...1%84%E3%81%A6/

Jiro at the moment don't accept phone reservations until further notice.
They can only accept reservations through the concierge of the overseas guests' hotel.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #8254

It all depends on what u like to eat for sushi....

All sushi is good if there r serve fresh n cuts well....
Different seasons serve different fishes from their coastline....
All fishes caught n able to serve within 24 hours.... Is always good...

As for high end sushi outlet... It all about able to eat among the top few best catch of the day. And the art of settling down the fishes and what other good ingredients to go with it.....
It hard to get seating is because most of the top chef... Their table only serve 6 or 7 person in one seating.
Usually got 2 or 3 customers per night, is consider a good taking for them....

Just like people will said a tuna is just a tuna... What so big deal about it...
Till u had a bite of a good piece of tuna.... U will understand why.....

Once u had a good chef to call and make a booking for u at other sushi shop....
U r gradually taking steps into their circle.... ( these shops r not expensive as they r not in for the commercial gains like the younger chef )
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #8255

ASAP indeed his omakase meals are finished in under 15 mins! Not that I’ve been but I’ve heard from pp who do and they feel Jiro’s pace is ridiculously fast.

Not really that fast....
Could have they order the set meal...

Usually such places the chef will look the way u eat and continue serve u until u give them the signal that u r full....

In Jiro, beer is max two glasses.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #8256
Master Member

Hey all. Im thinking of dropping off luggage at dentetsu toyama, deliver to Nagano

but staying 1 day at murodo
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/trans...w/baggage.html

is it possible to collect 1 day ltr? and can i only reclaim 4pm to 8pm? or is this timing only for same day collection?

i assume if i collect the next day, anytime should be fine?

Opening hours / 9:00AM – 8:00PM
Old 04-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #8257
Supremacy Member

in Tokyo, the top 50 or so restaurants can survive just on the support of their regulars.

Even for me, I always visit certain favourite restaurants during my trips until the owner know my face, my name, my preference etc et
This is what I like about Japan. To the non seasoned traveller to Japan it may seemed too exclusive. It is essentially the difficult barrier to gain access to many unique products and services that draws me to Japan time and time again.

Those who appreciate craftsmanship will naturally receive mutual respect from the artisan or chef. Not just because you are a good supportive customer but they know you appreciate their skill set and style. They do put in a lot of pride into their work.

Their marketing strategy is totally different from the rest of the world. X amount of quantity. Sold out means sold out. Just have to come back on another day or another launch date.

Once u had a good chef to call and make a booking for u at other sushi shop....
U r gradually taking steps into their circle.... (these shops r not expensive as they r not in for the commercial gains like the younger chef)
This is exactly what I have mentioned in my the above post. There are a lot of artisans, craftsmen, chefs in Japan who take their skill sets very seriously. It is like the samurai spirit. Practice till perfection.

Last edited by Mr.Canberra; 04-03-2018 at 11:20 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #8258
Master Member

Anyone buy this tickets for travel in Osaka, Kyoto areas?

Is it recommended to get?

I m travelling there for 9 days this end march

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html
Old 05-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #8259
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone buy this tickets for travel in Osaka, Kyoto areas?

Is it recommended to get?

I m travelling there for 9 days this end march

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html
3 days for 5200yen. you'd have to work out ur schedule whether it is worth or not.

local subways is about 230yen per trip. osaka to kyoto is about 800yen.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #8260

Hey all. Im thinking of dropping off luggage at dentetsu toyama, deliver to Nagano

is it possible to collect 1 day ltr? and can i only reclaim 4pm to 8pm? or is this timing only for same day collection?

If not same day, maybe can consider this and deliver to your next hotel.
http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/scene02.html
Old 05-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #8261
Arch-Supremacy Member

Since u dun need it the same day, y not just use normal forwarding services such ta-q-bin, and fwd it straight to ur next hotel.
Get ur current hotel to help u make the arrangements and to help u call the next hotel to inform them of the incoming luggage
Tornesoul likes this.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #8262

travelling in march end , is japan a baby friendly place?
thinking if wanna travel along with baby (10months)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #8263

Am thinking of Self drive in early december around Fuji and maybe outside of Kyoto. Anyone know the road condition in early dec. Will there be snow?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #8264
Master Member

How's the flu epidemic in Japan now?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Old 05-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #8265

my friend is gg japan, n has bought a NEX round trip ticket, he is departing from haneda.

so is it possible that his NEX round trip ticket can be used both times in the same directions? from tokyo narita to shinjuku ? meaning can i use it when i travel to jpn in may?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.