HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #8386

hi hi im gg on a 1 week sch trip in late May to this uni (IUHW) in Otawara, Tochigi. we only have lessons from around 9am and our itinerary is till latest 4pm everyday and we're free after that.

i did a search online & theres nothing of my interest. maybe will head to 1 park or something.

anyone has visited this prefecture/area before care to share what else to do? tbh, i kinda want to head to Tokyo to get something!!! but an eastern tohoku JR pass is so $$$$ and idk if its worth the pass/travel.

am also wondering, the nearest station to my apartment is Nishinasuno. but im kinda unsure about the trains/passes/subway. is nishinasuno a regular subway station where i can use my suica card (does it expire? i bought it during my Osaka trip in '15).

appreciate all the help i can get. thanks!!
Your station is a JR station. Suica Card doesn’t expire so long as you use it at least once every 10 years. You probably need to head to Nasu-Shiobara station to catch the Shinkansen back to Tokyo or go up north to Aomori.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #8387
Master Member

Osaka got many Uniqlo - can go there first see how*********s the weather then first thing head there buy
I reach Osaka at night 9pm liao. Airport got Uniqlo?

Uniqlo there selling cheaper than sg? what if no more selling winter wear?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #8388
Master Member

hi hi im gg on a 1 week sch trip in late May to this uni (IUHW) in Otawara, Tochigi. we only have lessons from around 9am and our itinerary is till latest 4pm everyday and we're free after that.

i did a search online & theres nothing of my interest. maybe will head to 1 park or something.

anyone has visited this prefecture/area before care to share what else to do? tbh, i kinda want to head to Tokyo to get something!!! but an eastern tohoku JR pass is so $$$$ and idk if its worth the pass/travel.

am also wondering, the nearest station to my apartment is Nishinasuno. but im kinda unsure about the trains/passes/subway. is nishinasuno a regular subway station where i can use my suica card (does it expire? i bought it during my Osaka trip in '15).

appreciate all the help i can get. thanks!!
nishi-nasuno is one stop away from nasu-shiobara and 1hr train ride form nikko... nikko everyone knows and nasu-shiobara have her own page on japan guide.... so you should have stuff to do...

you can use your suica, but just remember you cannot use the suica to take the train directly to tokyo on limited express trains or shinkansen, you have to buy a pass or get your tickets from the train ticket counter for these kind of long distance travel
Old 12-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #8389
Arch-Supremacy Member

Going Osaka, Kyoto n Nara end of this month. I saw the temperature will be like 15 to 0 degrees

I dun travel often to cold countries n no winter jackets.

Now not much winter jackets to buy but I saw Uniqlo still selling ultra light down. I will wear t-shirt n thermal wear inside if is too cold. Is it good enough to protect me from the cold especially at night?
Good enough for me. Was below 10c in dec when i was there. can consider to buy a cap when in japan to cover head and ears. can get for less than 500yen.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #8390
Master Member

Good enough for me. Was below 10c in dec when i was there. can consider to buy a cap when in japan to cover head and ears. can get for less than 500yen.
Wow, I guess u stronger than me

I was in Korea during Nov 2016. Temp fell to -5 but with 2 layers inside, a thick down jacket (borrowed from ex-colleague), scarf n gloves, I still feel pretty cold

That is why I m worried now although forecast is not as bad as Korea trip
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #8391

Wow, I guess u stronger than me

I was in Korea during Nov 2016. Temp fell to -5 but with 2 layers inside, a thick down jacket (borrowed from ex-colleague), scarf n gloves, I still feel pretty cold

That is why I m worried now although forecast is not as bad as Korea trip
Bring hand warmers. They do help. But since you’re heading to the cities, it won’t be as cold as in Hokkaido. And I’ve been there in early April, the coldest it gets in Tokyo was just below 5°C.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #8392
High Supremacy Member

Going Osaka, Kyoto n Nara end of this month. I saw the temperature will be like 15 to 0 degrees

I dun travel often to cold countries n no winter jackets.

Now not much winter jackets to buy but I saw Uniqlo still selling ultra light down. I will wear t-shirt n thermal wear inside if is too cold. Is it good enough to protect me from the cold especially at night?
Not that cold. Shirt and jacket can already. Once reach April will be even warmer, sometimes need to take off jacket when walking
Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #8393
Master Member

Not that cold. Shirt and jacket can already. Once reach April will be even warmer, sometimes need to take off jacket when walking
But my jacket is not those down coat/jacket/parka. Mine is those sweater kind of jacket material. Good enough mah?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #8394

But my jacket is not those down coat/jacket/parka. Mine is those sweater kind of jacket material. Good enough mah?
i went to the same places (osaka, kyoto, nara) as you from late feb to early march

during my stay there, there were some days the temperate in osaka went up to 19/20 degrees, so don't need thermal wear also can

but there are some days the max only 11/12 degrees with wind, those days can be quite cold

maybe check this website for the 1 week forecast before you depart (http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/331.html), right now the temperature is not as cold le so actually 2 layers should be alright
Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #8395

Qns for Expressway Bus from shinjuku to Kawaguchiko Station .

Do these bus allow storage of trolley luggage like below the bus ?
or do we need to store them in lockers or storage service counters?

I only know taiwan bus got this service. Never took a jap one before.
Old 13-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #8396
Greater Supremacy Member

Qns for Expressway Bus from shinjuku to Kawaguchiko Station .

Do these bus allow storage of trolley luggage like below the bus ?
or do we need to store them in lockers or storage service counters?

I only know taiwan bus got this service. Never took a jap one before.
You will need to take your luggage away after you reached your destination - not sure if I understood your question correctly ?
Old 13-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #8397
Master Member

i went to the same places (osaka, kyoto, nara) as you from late feb to early march

during my stay there, there were some days the temperate in osaka went up to 19/20 degrees, so don't need thermal wear also can

but there are some days the max only 11/12 degrees with wind, those days can be quite cold

maybe check this website for the 1 week forecast before you depart (http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/331.html
Funny cos I checked AccuWeather n is like 3 degrees now. But the website u shared do not have any days with that temp
Old 13-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #8398
Arch-Supremacy Member

everyone's cold tolerance is different. have u been to cold places? eg. I know my fingers n ears always kena so I make sure to bring hand warmers, gloves, ear muffs/neck warmer.
Old 13-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #8399
Arch-Supremacy Member

Uniqlo here has promo on heat tech stuff. You may want to get a piece or 2 before your get there?
Old 13-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #8400

Funny cos I checked AccuWeather n is like 3 degrees now. But the website u shared do not have any days with that temp
Doesn’t seem that bad for Osaka.
https://tenki.jp/lite/forecast/6/30/6200/27100/10days.html
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.