Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that time i stayed a night up at murodo so that i have enuf time for hiking to summit and to waterfall. i dunno whether there is enuf time to do waterfall and alpine route all in a day.

also, if u plan to do hiking in kamikochi, it will be better to cater a whole day. coz travel time from matsumoto to kamikochi is about an hour by bus. and the bus terminal at kamikochi is quite crowded, so u may not be able to get the bus timing u want.

I do intend to stay at one of the hotels on the mountain but it's not solo friendly.. Need at least 2 in a room :sad: and also most are reserved already, for late may. Worst case scenario find one at matsumoto.

As for kamikochi I will go early on day 2

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fastest way to get conned in Japan is to go look for fun in Kabuki cho while not speaking japanese I guess :D the only shop that will accept you are probably the Nigerian tout ones and you know how that normally ends up :s8: 99% of the time is probably PRC with conversational/fluent japanese ability...

simple japanese can get past kabuki cho.

just dont try english

patgoh28

Reaction score
1st time going to Japan with hubby in Dec'14. Wondering should we join tour group or go F&E. We prefer F&E trip but both of us can't speak a single word of Japanese language. Wondering will it be a problem if we can't speak Japanese?

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most hotel staff will be able to speak some english.

most Japanese on the street are also able to speak english. A few simple sentences of Japanese would be nice. Like "sorry, I can't speak japanese but I need your help" would calm their nerves a bit.

The train stations, airport do have english signage as well. You should be able to get by.

Shopping wise should be no problem. Especially if you can speak mandarin. There are quite a lot of chinese speaking staff in departos...

patgoh28

Reaction score
Thanks cancer81 for your advise. Will go F&E.

most hotel staff will be able to speak some english.

most Japanese on the street are also able to speak english. A few simple sentences of Japanese would be nice. Like "sorry, I can't speak japanese but I need your help" would calm their nerves a bit.

The train stations, airport do have english signage as well. You should be able to get by.

Shopping wise should be no problem. Especially if you can speak mandarin. There are quite a lot of chinese speaking staff in departos...

Adenovirus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving for Japan next Sunday so I've got some questions to ask here.
Firstly, can I use suica card on any train stations in kansai?(I'm travelling around Osaka and Kyoto).
Secondly, can I just buy my shinkansen tix at any JR ticketing machine and how many days in advance can I book my tix?
Lastly.. Does anyone have any experience of travelling via budget airline to Japan? I'm taking jetstar to KIX, but I'm transmitting in Taoyuan, so what's the sop I have to follow when I alight at Taoyuan? Thank you in advance!

slipperss

Reaction score
Sorry but I have previously asked this question but I can't find the reply.

I am taking a scoot flight to narita which arrives at 1045, and am intending to take a domestic flight which departs at 1310. Is there enough time? I have checked that both flights are in the same terminal.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving for Japan next Sunday so I've got some questions to ask here.
Firstly, can I use suica card on any train stations in kansai?(I'm travelling around Osaka and Kyoto).
Secondly, can I just buy my shinkansen tix at any JR ticketing machine and how many days in advance can I book my tix?
Lastly.. Does anyone have any experience of travelling via budget airline to Japan? I'm taking jetstar to KIX, but I'm transmitting in Taoyuan, so what's the sop I have to follow when I alight at Taoyuan? Thank you in advance!

suica can be used in kansai.

shinkasen tickets must get from JR tickets office. Not sure max is how many days in advance. One to 2 weeks should be Ok. My experience is that the tix are aplenty if you book one or 2 days in advance during off peak. Unless you are going in a contingent, small travelling group is not an issue. The worst is only you guys wont get to sit together. If really worried, just book it whenever you see an JR ticket office lo.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I have previously asked this question but I can't find the reply.

I am taking a scoot flight to narita which arrives at 1045, and am intending to take a domestic flight which departs at 1310. Is there enough time? I have checked that both flights are in the same terminal.

More than enough time. Don't worry! You even have time for lunch!

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do intend to stay at one of the hotels on the mountain but it's not solo friendly.. Need at least 2 in a room :sad: and also most are reserved already, for late may. Worst case scenario find one at matsumoto.

As for kamikochi I will go early on day 2

I just went to check. Lots of hotels with rooms available. Or are you only looking at top end hotels?

宿泊施設 | 上高地公式ウェブサイト

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
suica can be used in kansai.

shinkasen tickets must get from JR tickets office. Not sure max is how many days in advance. One to 2 weeks should be Ok. My experience is that the tix are aplenty if you book one or 2 days in advance during off peak. Unless you are going in a contingent, small travelling group is not an issue. The worst is only you guys wont get to sit together. If really worried, just book it whenever you see an JR ticket office lo.

suica can use in kansai?

i thought kansai need icoca?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sweet, thanks! so i suppose that i could use the suica card within osaka, but if i were to take the train from osaka to kyoto i have to use the icoca?

It can be used among JR trains. But non JR can be patchy. Worst case just get an ICOCA or buy the individual tix, no choice one.:)

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I kept my ICOCA from my Osaka trip, still have some money left. 10 year expiry if no usage if I read correctly.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks cancer81 for your advise. Will go F&E.
stick to major city and since you are first timer in Japan, the major cities should do just fine.

do your homework and note the addresses of places you want to visit and how to get there.

good luck have fun!!

Adenovirus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It can be used among JR trains. But non JR can be patchy. Worst case just get an ICOCA or buy the individual tix, no choice one.:)

i guess i have to buy an icoca to prevent any inconveniences ba, thanks a lot!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i guess i have to buy an icoca to prevent any inconveniences ba, thanks a lot!

yup, just get one lah, or spend slightly more time on the ticketing machines. I find tickets have an advantage. As many times when I used SUICA, i got confused with whether I have exit the paid area or still within it. This happened when I was walking up and down to find exits or directions. Very confused. If you use tickets, its easier, the tickets got retained means you are out liao. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.