HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #8821
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi guys, its my first trip to japan coming this june and i'm a little confused with the train planner hyperdia.

I am travelling from Tokyo Shinjuku -> (via ltd narita express) Shinagawa -> (via shinkansen nozomi) Kyoto -> SagaArashiyama station where my airbnb is located. According to hyperdia, the sagaarashiyama train is a local train, i heard from my friends that booking for shinkansen and local trains are diff counters. Howevever, hyperdia shows that the journey with or without the last leg, from kyoto-sagaarashiyama is the same price. Does this mean that i can make a booking for the entire journey at shinjuku station at the start for one price? or do i have to book several separate tickets for this journey? TIA
Actually since it's your first time, just print out the hyperdia timetable of your route, highlight the timing that you want, and pass to the JR ticket office counter. They will know what you require and they will explain to you how to use the tickets. There will be 2 types of tickets that they will pass you, one is a base fare ticket and one is a shinkansen ticket.

The last time I went, my route was to take from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. On hyperdia it showed I have to take a normal train to Tokyo, then transfer to shinkansen. I was worried about the transfer, wondering if I should tap in with suica at Shinjuku and tap out at Tokyo then go in Tokyo station again with the shinkansen ticket or something like that (I didn't know how the tickets or fare gates work in Japan). I printed the hyperdia timetable (many bros here suggested to do this) and show it to the Shinjuku JR ticket office person, and I was confused when he passed me 4 tickets for 2 pax. He explained that one is a base fare ticket, and I can use that for the trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo, and the shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I remembered having to insert both tickets into the fare gates but can't remember if I did it at Shinjuku or Tokyo. In any case you can just clarify with the ticket office on how to use the tickets. They can speak decent English.

Last edited by Ruriel; 18-05-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Old 18-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #8822
Master Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

what input search input parameters you entered? don't understand how you could get ltd narita express (NEX) from shinjuku to shinagawa? if you not using JR rail pass, you want to use local line as NEX costs much more

as NEX, shinkansen are separate train network, as far as i know, you will have to book separately. so you will have 2 tickets bookings
1. NEX (Shinjuku - Shinagawa)
2. Shinkansen (Shinagawa - kyoto)

for local train (kyoto - SagaArashiyama), no reservation needed, just buy ticket or flash your JR rail pass when you enter/exit the local train gate
Please see the route as advised by hyperdia:

Should i always avoid the NEX trains and take the local train from shinjuku to tokyo then the shinkansen as per this route?:

TIA!

Actually since it's your first time, just print out the hyperdia timetable of your route, highlight the timing that you want, and pass to the JR ticket office counter. They will know what you require and they will explain to you how to use the tickets. There will be 2 types of tickets that they will pass you, one is a base fare ticket and one is a shinkansen ticket.

The last time I went, my route was to take from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. On hyperdia it showed I have to take a normal train to Tokyo, then transfer to shinkansen. I was worried about the transfer, wondering if I should tap in with suica at Shinjuku and tap out at Tokyo then go in Tokyo station again with the shinkansen ticket or something like that (I didn't know how the tickets or fare gates work in Japan). I printed the hyperdia timetable (many bros here suggested to do this) and show it to the Shinjuku JR ticket office person, and I was confused when he passed me 4 tickets for 2 pax. He explained that one is a base fare ticket, and I can use that for the trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo, and the shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I remembered having to insert both tickets into the fare gates but can't remember if I did it at Shinjuku or Tokyo. In any case you can just clarify with the ticket office on how to use the tickets. They can speak decent English.
Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I will be keeping a copy of the route information on my phone just in case.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #8823
Master Member

check total 14780yen (NEX) vs 13710yen (JR Yamanote)
diff 1070yen because NEX need to pay seat fee

also, NEX train interval is hourly where as local train can be as short as 5mins

for longer trip like tokyo > narita airport NEX is more comfortable & time saver. local trains are better for short trips

Should i always avoid the NEX trains and take the local train from shinjuku to tokyo then the shinkansen as per this route?:

Last edited by rrr2015; 18-05-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Old 18-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #8824
Master Member

what the ? is there a recommended one ??
i really tot only 1 toyota museum
Toyota Kaikan Museum
Toyota Techno Museum
Toyota Automobile Museum

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3308.html
Old 18-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #8825
Master Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

TIA!

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I will be keeping a copy of the route information on my phone just in case.
I also prefer you take Yamanote Line as the frequency is higher, so timing can be more flexible. But Shinkansen departure time is accurate, so don't be late.

IIRC, Yamanote Line will arrive at platform around 1-4 and Shinkansen platform is about 20+. So there is a bit of walking. N'EX's platform is nearer to Shinkansen platform, so lesser walking.

Having said that, try to avoid morning rush hour on weekdays in this case. You + luggage probably can't board the train as it will be overcrowded.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #8826
Master Member

Anyone knows where I can find the best beaches near Tokyo?

Last edited by Beefsteak; 19-05-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Old 19-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #8827

the closest one are the Kamakura ones unless you want to go to the chiba ones
Old 19-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #8828
VD
Supremacy Member

Okinawa.....
Old 20-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #8829
Master Member

where can i buy shiba inu tote bags?

eg:

https://www.superdelivery.com/en/do/...n=sugoi_170201

i realised alot of japanese have this kind of bags
Old 21-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #8830

where can i buy shiba inu tote bags?

eg:

https://www.superdelivery.com/en/do/...n=sugoi_170201

i realised alot of japanese have this kind of bags
I saw some stores at Asakusa Nakamise selling these bags. I think it should be common in other areas as well.
princessreiko likes this.
Old 21-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #8831
Master Member

I saw some stores at Asakusa Nakamise selling these bags. I think it should be common in other areas as well.
U mean Nakamise shopping street?
I can only go next year cause just came back, will it be available next year? Since this yr is Dog year, so I'm not sure if next yr still have anot.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Old 21-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #8832
VD
Supremacy Member

saw a shiba cafe at the entrance of Taka$hita Dori. Maybe they have?
Old 21-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #8833
Master Member

saw a shiba cafe at the entrance of Taka$hita Dori. Maybe they have?
im more worried that next yr when i go no more liao
Old 21-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #8834

So impt to have then try Airfrov lor.
Old 21-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #8835
Supremacy Member

im more worried that next yr when i go no more liao
Hi, you can buy online !

https://www.etsy.com/market/shiba_inu_tote_bag
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.