HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #8956
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks mate, read the nohi bus need to book in advance, would it be non Japanese speaking friendly to do so?

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT
I booked nohi bus online. I don't know any Japanese either. They got English website ma.
Old 16-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #8957

Hi All,

Have some questions on the Takayama-Hokuriku as well. Will be visiting Japan in December, flying in and out via Nagoya Airport.

Will be travelling with Family.

Here's the current plan I have.

1st Day: Nagoya
2nd Day: Nagoya (Planning to visit Nabana no Sato)
3rd Day: Takayama (Activate Takayama-Hokuriku Pass)
4th Day: Shirkawago
5th Day: Kanazawa
6th Day: Toyama? (Kurobe Gorge?) <-- Is it covered by the pass?
7th Day: Shinkansen to Osaka (Covered by pass) End of Takayama - Hokuriku Pass
8th Day: Osaka
9th Day: Kyoto
10th Day: Osaka
11th Day: Osaka
12th Day: Nagoya

1) Planning to base at Takayama from Day 3 to Day 6 and make day trip to above mentioned areas. Is the travelling time to long? If so, where will be a better area to base at?

2) On Day 6, is there any other recommendation of where to go that is included in the pass other than Toyama? Is Nagano worth a day trip to see the Snow Monkey?

4) Will be going in Early Dec but would love to experience snow. Any places I should go to boost my chance of experiencing snow?

4) Itinerary is still in the very initial planning and research stage as such most of the things could still be change.
Anyone who traveled on this route or used Takayama-Hokuriku Pass do share any tips or experience! Appreciate all the assistance.

Thanks all!
Old 16-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #8958

Hi All,

Have some questions on the Takayama-Hokuriku as well. Will be visiting Japan in December, flying in and out via Nagoya Airport.

Will be travelling with Family.

Here's the current plan I have.

1st Day: Nagoya
2nd Day: Nagoya (Planning to visit Nabana no Sato)
3rd Day: Takayama (Activate Takayama-Hokuriku Pass)
4th Day: Shirkawago
5th Day: Kanazawa
6th Day: Toyama? (Kurobe Gorge?) <-- Is it covered by the pass?
7th Day: Shinkansen to Osaka (Covered by pass) End of Takayama - Hokuriku Pass
8th Day: Osaka
9th Day: Kyoto
10th Day: Osaka
11th Day: Osaka
12th Day: Nagoya

1) Planning to base at Takayama from Day 3 to Day 6 and make day trip to above mentioned areas. Is the travelling time to long? If so, where will be a better area to base at?

2) On Day 6, is there any other recommendation of where to go that is included in the pass other than Toyama? Is Nagano worth a day trip to see the Snow Monkey?

4) Will be going in Early Dec but would love to experience snow. Any places I should go to boost my chance of experiencing snow?

4) Itinerary is still in the very initial planning and research stage as such most of the things could still be change.
Anyone who traveled on this route or used Takayama-Hokuriku Pass do share any tips or experience! Appreciate all the assistance.

Thanks all!
Kurobe Alpine Route is closed by mid November.

Assuming you're using the pass from this - http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/
It doesn't cover Nagano side at all. Don't forget winter means shorter day hours. Places close earlier too. I would choose to stay in Kanazawa, not as a day trip. Too far from Takayama. Shirakawago can be a day trip or an overnight trip from Takayama.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #8959
Honorary Member

Anyone has lobangs for Sushi Saito?
Old 18-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #8960

Hi guys,

Anyone been to the Arakuyama Sengen Park? Other then climbing the 397 steps to the top of the park, the map I found on the internet show another alternate path to the park where you can see Mt Fuji next to the Chureito Pagoda.

I plan to go there with my folks. Can anybody confirm an alternate path to go up to the viewing point without climbing the steps or steep slope? My folks legs are not good.

TIA.
Old 18-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #8961
Supremacy Member

hi folks

intending to get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area, but wanna ask if its sufficient to explore Takayama and Kanazawa mainly. Any interesting place to go?

Also which area to stay overnight as the base to explore?

thinking to follow this person itinerary, but open to suggestions
http://kampungboycitygal.com/2017/12...nce-itinerary/

thanks in advance
you can see see as reference. extract from my Feb 2018 itinery:

Day 5 - (Takayama-Hokuriku 5 day pass start)Leave Kyoto for Kanazawa > wander around town

Day 6 - Kanazawa > Omicho market, Kanazawa Castle, Kenroku-en, Higashiyama, back to Kanazawa Castle at night for the light up event

Day 7 - Leave Kanazawa for Takayama > wander around Takayama old town

Day 8 - Take the 1st bus to Shirakawa-go, afternoon went to Hida Furukawa

Day 9 - Leave Takayama for Nogoya> Osu Kannon district (Takayama-Hokuriku 5 day pass end)
Illusionist_85 likes this.
Old 18-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #8962
VD
Supremacy Member

why didnt u go straight to Shirakawa from Kanazawa?
Old 18-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #8963

Hi,
If want to visit Biei and Furano, can use asahikawa as a base? Possible to do day trip? Planning for end of Jan.
TIA
Old 19-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #8964

Hi, we are going to Japan on the last week of December, but when we check the hotel/Ryokan that we are interested in, most were not available. Why is this so, is it the date not release for reservation or really being snap up fast?
Old 19-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #8965
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys,

Anyone been to the Arakuyama Sengen Park? Other then climbing the 397 steps to the top of the park, the map I found on the internet show another alternate path to the park where you can see Mt Fuji next to the Chureito Pagoda.

I plan to go there with my folks. Can anybody confirm an alternate path to go up to the viewing point without climbing the steps or steep slope? My folks legs are not good.

TIA.
the alternative path u are referring to could be the vehicle road. but that road is closed to public and only meant for emergency vehicle i think
Old 19-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #8966
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, we are going to Japan on the last week of December, but when we check the hotel/Ryokan that we are interested in, most were not available. Why is this so, is it the date not release for reservation or really being snap up fast?
most accom in japan only opens 3-6mths in advance for booking. so i could be that u are too early.
u may want to try those 3rd party booking websites like agoda or booking.com to see if the ryokans are listed there.
Old 19-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #8967

Thank for your advise, at least now i know i still have chance to book Ryokan and i’m not late...
Old 19-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #8968
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank for your advise, at least now i know i still have chance to book Ryokan and iím not late...
since u going end dec, it is time to keep a lookout for those that opens 6mths in advance for booking
0limshs likes this.
Old 20-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #8969

Hi folks, planning on going NGO - Takayama in nov. 3.5 days in Nagoya and 3.5days in Takayama. Is it too rush or should i put more days towards Takayama? First time there. Not too sure the traveling distance. Traveling alone!

Tentative:
Day 1: Arrive Nagoya, Nagoya castle, Sakae district (Or port area?)
Day 2: Day trip to Inuyama
Day 3: Day trip to Kiso Valley
Day 4: Moving from Nagoya to Takayama - Hida no Sato in the afternoon OR explore old town, Yatai Kaikan area
Day 5: Day trip to Shiragawa-go
Day 6: Higashiyama walkway, takayama jinya area, Travel back to NGO
Day 7: Morning flight
Old 20-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #8970
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi folks

intending to get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area, but wanna ask if its sufficient to explore Takayama and Kanazawa mainly. Any interesting place to go?

Also which area to stay overnight as the base to explore?

thinking to follow this person itinerary, but open to suggestions
http://kampungboycitygal.com/2017/12...nce-itinerary/

thanks in advance
I am planning takayama and shirokawa-go for Dec. Not going to stay in Kanazawa. 2N in takayama, half a day in shirokawa, and then bus to kanazawa and train to osaka.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.