HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #9106

Are you certain your Airbnb is legally registered and that the owner will not cancel it at the very last minute? For your sake I hope you have an alternative hotel being booked (with free cancellation).

If you do stay in a hotel in the end, as long as it's not those business hotel chains, you will be able to leave your luggage with them for a few days till you check in again.

If you did manage to stay in the Airbnb and require baggage storage, it's not too hard to Google for that info. Here's one result that I found: https://tokyocheapo.com/living/lugga...rage-in-tokyo/

Sagawa storage seems to be an option. The article says can store for 5 days but Sagawa mobile website didn't state that (didn't look at the desktop version). If in doubt, you can go email them and ask how long can they store your baggage. Price list is on the site. As they have offices in both Tokyo station and near Asakusa, you can find hotels around these areaa to book for your final part of the trip.

I will not suggest Red Planet Asakusa if you are not able to meet the limousine bus timing that will bring you to and fro from Asakusa View hotel. The alternative transport option is too troublesome. For example, if you wish to take the Keikyu/Asakusa Line (note that you will be alighting at the Tobu/Toei/Tokyo Metro subway, not the Tsukuba subway - if you check the map, the Tobu/Toei Asakusa station is much further from the hotel), you need to know which exit to go so that you don't have to deal with stairs with your luggage. On top of that, assuming you managed to find the exit with elevator, once reach surface level, you will need to navigate from the exit (which is further from the usual exit that involves stairs) to walk to Red Planet Asakusa - which is pretty daunting if you haven't been to Japan before and have kids along with you.

Hence do check the limousine bus timing first if you are considering princessreiko's suggestion. If the bus timings can't fit your schedule, then go for hotels that are nearer to the main stations.

As for day 7, are your kids familiar with Ghibli works? If yes you can opt for Ghibli museum. Will only take up about half the day, but it depends on the timing on your admission ticket. Or you can go Odaiba too. https://www.anepiceducation.com/toky...iba-with-kids/
Thanks for the storage link. . And the odaiba recommendation .. will check it out.
Old 23-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #9107

Is this your first trip to JP with the kids? At a glance, if your main intention is to play and see snow, then I suppose it might work for you but if it's your first time there, you are missing out quite a lot.

You can try Gala Yuzawa for a more convenient snow resort experience as the train stations stops by the resort itself. For this you can get the Tokyo Wide Pass which is slightly cheaper for a return trip via shinkansen.
Yea, first time.
Already book the accommodation at hakuba just next to ski resort. Wanted gala yuzawa initially. But airbnb gifted me 2000 worth of credit. So just book a very nice cottage at hakuba .

Any place u think I should squeeze in? Some days are quite relax, so can accommodate some places.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #9108
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advise. I will swop accordingly.
But need to check the hotel price first. Haha. Budget already. Whole trip cost a bomb.

Even shinkensan to Nagano and back. Without JR pass is cheaper?
Check hyperdia for actual fares. Then check the price of the rail passes to compare.
princessreiko likes this.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #9109
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advise. I will swop accordingly.
But need to check the hotel price first. Haha. Budget already. Whole trip cost a bomb.

Even shinkensan to Nagano and back. Without JR pass is cheaper?
You go to
https://www.hotelscombined.com.sg/Ho...kusa_Tokyo.htm

to compare the prices of hotels.

The limousine bus from Asakusa View hotel is not free.
I paid 930 yen the last time.
Please refer to the fare and timing here.
If the timing doesn't suit you, then as ruriel suggested, maybe look elsewhere instead of Asakusa.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/are...hicho/for/244/
Old 23-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #9110

how hot is actually summer in Japan? going there mid August. coming from Singapore, is it that much of a difference?
Old 23-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #9111
Arch-Supremacy Member

how hot is actually summer in Japan? going there mid August. coming from Singapore, is it that much of a difference?
They are experiencing a severe heatwave now, since last Monday. Not sure when it will end.

Can fry an egg on the sidewalk in Tokyo today (as demonstrated by a meteorologist based in Tokyo).

https://twitter.com/EarthUncutTV/sta...79280444071936

Western Tokyo had a high of 40.8deg today - record high for Tokyo.
Old 24-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #9112
Master Member

Yea, first time.
Already book the accommodation at hakuba just next to ski resort. Wanted gala yuzawa initially. But airbnb gifted me 2000 worth of credit. So just book a very nice cottage at hakuba .

Any place u think I should squeeze in? Some days are quite relax, so can accommodate some places.
Your plan is quite full but if you wish to add a few more, you can consider Odaiba, Yokohama, Kamakura and Hakone.

Just noticed you can also include Asakusa, Ginza, Tsukiji (street food), and Uenp.

Last edited by purpleberry; 24-07-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Old 24-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #9113
High Supremacy Member

Looks like 7 days too short.. If for 10 days I want to travel toyko, Kyoto, Osaka... Need to go Mt fuji and disneyland.. How would u plan it? Toyko to Kyoto very far I need to stay Kyoto how many days? Or stay at Osaka from there travel to Kyoto for 1 day tour? As will be travel jan where can I see snow? Only ski resort?

Last edited by Nakedtoes; 24-07-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Old 24-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #9114
Arch-Supremacy Member

Looks like 7 days too short.. If for 10 days I want to travel toyko, Kyoto, Osaka... Need to go Mt fuji and disneyland.. How would u plan it? Toyko to Kyoto very far I need to stay Kyoto how many days? Or stay at Osaka from there travel to Kyoto for 1 day tour?
I went to Japan for the first time in yr 2016 - 11 days 10 nights.

I did it with 4N Tokyo, 1N Shirakawa-Go, 5N Kyoto (with a day trip to Osaka in between). Fly in Narita, fly out KIX.

JR pass not necessary for my case coz I wasn't taking Shinkansen for both ways. So I only bought single trip tickets + IC card for subway/bus use.

Also, take note that I list the trip as no. of nights, instead of days, because day not zhun... there's at least a few days of travelling to the next destination. For example, 4th day I spent travelling from Tokyo to Kanazawa, so it's not exactly 4D in Tokyo. I can't say its a 2D1N Shirakawa-Go either coz essentially its just a 1 day 1 night, considering I reached Shirakawa-Go during mid day and left the next morning to travel to Kyoto.

However when in Tokyo, I didn't do Mt Fuji nor Disneyland. I have different itinerary because we have specific places that we wanted to visit so we skip the main touristy ones. There's always future trips to plan for those places.

If you really wish to do something like this, maybe you can go for 4D Tokyo 4D Osaka/Kyoto. Depends on your flight timings, the rest of the 2 days are taken up by the time you need to travel to/fro Kanto and Kansai region (assuming you are flying in and out of Tokyo), and your arrival/departure days (usually not full days unless you take red-eye flight for both).

I personally dislike Osaka and prefer Kyoto. But there are some who feel opposite. So it's difficult to recommend or suggest anything. It's best you stick to your own plan and then see what you like, and after the trip you will know you prefer which area and can plan the next trip to go again and explore further. Go to japan-guide.com and start there to decide which area to spend most of your days in.

Last edited by Ruriel; 24-07-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Old 24-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #9115
Supremacy Member

I personally dislike Osaka and prefer Kyoto. But there are some who feel opposite. So it's difficult to recommend or suggest anything. It's best you stick to your own plan and then see what you like, and after the trip you will know you prefer which area and can plan the next trip to go again and explore further. Go to japan-guide.com and start there to decide which area to spend most of your days in.
I haven't been to Osaka before but from what I have read, it does seem boring.
I was in Kyoto for 5 days and really love it. I have explored most of Kyoto city and I love the buses and the announcement on it.
I also spent 1 day in Nara and it was lovely too.
If not for the earthquake, I would have gone to Osaka just for the night as I wanted to try their okonomiyaki.
However the JR trains were delayed significantly and I didn't want to risk any upset in my plans.
Old 24-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #9116
Arch-Supremacy Member

I was in Kyoto for 5 days and really love it. I have explored most of Kyoto city and I love the buses and the announcement on it.
If not for the earthquake, I would have gone to Osaka just for the night as I wanted to try their okonomiyaki.
However the JR trains were delayed significantly and I didn't want to risk any upset in my plans.
5 days and you've explored most of Kyoto city already?? I spent 4 full days there and felt I barely scratched the surface. Already planning another trip there in 2020. (This year last minute short trip to Tokyo, next year abt 2 wks Hokkaido, so can only visit Kyoto again for 2 weeks in 2020...)
Old 24-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #9117
Supremacy Member

5 days and you've explored most of Kyoto city already?? I spent 4 full days there and felt I barely scratched the surface. Already planning another trip there in 2020. (This year last minute short trip to Tokyo, next year abt 2 wks Hokkaido, so can only visit Kyoto again for 2 weeks in 2020...)
Yup 5 days is good enough for me as a tourist to explore most of Kyoto city.
Of course if you really wanna explore the outskirts of Kyoto, then it's definitely not sufficient.
If I go to Kyoto again, I would like to visit Amanohashidate which is 4 hours by public transport from the city.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #9118
Arch-Supremacy Member

i not a fan of both kyoto and osaka.
kyoto too crowded. culture-wise, i prefer to visit those more ulu places with little crowd.
osaka the more interesting places are the aquarium and maybe haruka 300 (if u like observatories). other than tt, it is just another city. for me, osaka is just a stopover place for shopping at the end of a trip before flying off.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #9119
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yup 5 days is good enough for me as a tourist to explore most of Kyoto city.
Of course if you really wanna explore the outskirts of Kyoto, then it's definitely not sufficient.
If I go to Kyoto again, I would like to visit Amanohashidate which is 4 hours by public transport from the city.
amanohashidate is slightly more than 2hr if u take direct ltd express train. but the train schedule not so frequently iirc.
maybe better to combine it with a night stay at kinosaki onsen.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #9120
Supremacy Member

amanohashidate is slightly more than 2hr if u take direct ltd express train. but the train schedule not so frequently iirc.
maybe better to combine it with a night stay at kinosaki onsen.
Thanks for the tip!
I looked at Google maps and it said 3 h 52 min!
I guess Google maps tend to over estimate the travel time, factoring in the waiting time as well.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.