Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #9121
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the tip!
I looked at Google maps and it said 3 h 52 min!
I guess Google maps tend to over estimate the travel time, factoring in the waiting time as well.
google map could be showing a route that is using local trains and require multiple transfers. not too sure if google map results are comprehensive, coz i usually use hyperdia to search for train routes.
princessreiko likes this.
Old 25-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #9122
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the tip!
I guess Google maps tend to over estimate the travel time, factoring in the waiting time as well.
it's correct that google maps tend to be more conservative on the travel time, but the train time schedule is quite accurate. i always use google maps to plot out travel routes and time needed, in singapore, taiwan and japan.
Old 25-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #9123
Master Member

i think you need to play around the depart time & date
aounrd 9:25am, there is a direct train from kyoto to amanohashidate
Thanks for the tip!
Old 26-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #9124

I received this in my email yesterday from MFA. Japan is really suffering a lot lately.
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Singaporeans,

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Typhoon 12 “Jongdari” is expected to approach and hit Japan Main Island (Honshu region) over this weekend, from Friday 27 Jul 2018 onwards.

Singaporeans are reminded to be prepared for the typhoon and take the necessary precautions when travelling in the affected areas. As travel plans could be affected due to inclement weather, do prepare alternate plans for possible flight delays or cancellations, including purchasing comprehensive travel insurance, preparing adequate medication, food and other necessities. Do monitor the local weather conditions closely and refer to JMA’s website at http://www.jma.go.jp/en/warn/index.html for the latest updates and weather warnings/advisories.

Separately, JMA has also forecasted that the temperature is likely to remain very high until early Aug in most parts of Japan. Singaporeans are therefore advised to take precautions against heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. For more information on the prevention measures, please refer to the website of the Japan Ministry of the Environment at http://www.wbgt.env.go.jp/en/doc_prevention.php

In the event of an emergency, please heed the advice of the local authorities and follow their instructions.

Stay safe.

Consular Section
Singapore Embassy in Tokyo
Tel: +81 3 3586 9111 (+81 90-3208-4122 after office hours)
Ruriel and princessreiko like this.
Old 26-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #9125
Arch-Supremacy Member

I received this in my email yesterday from MFA. Japan is really suffering a lot lately.
Dear Singaporeans,

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Typhoon 12 “Jongdari” is expected to approach and hit Japan Main Island (Honshu region) over this weekend, from Friday 27 Jul 2018 onwards.

Singaporeans are reminded to be prepared for the typhoon and take the necessary precautions when travelling in the affected areas. As travel plans could be affected due to inclement weather, do prepare alternate plans for possible flight delays or cancellations, including purchasing comprehensive travel insurance, preparing adequate medication, food and other necessities. Do monitor the local weather conditions closely and refer to JMA’s website at http://www.jma.go.jp/en/warn/index.html for the latest updates and weather warnings/advisories.

Separately, JMA has also forecasted that the temperature is likely to remain very high until early Aug in most parts of Japan. Singaporeans are therefore advised to take precautions against heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. For more information on the prevention measures, please refer to the website of the Japan Ministry of the Environment at http://www.wbgt.env.go.jp/en/doc_prevention.php

In the event of an emergency, please heed the advice of the local authorities and follow their instructions.

Stay safe.

Consular Section
Thanks for sharing.

Take care, for those who are there, and those who are heading there this weekend (due to typhoon) till August (due to heatwave) as well.
Old 26-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #9126
Supremacy Member

Dear Singaporeans,

Stay safe.

Consular Section
In general, it is not so good to visit Japan from June- August bcos of the hot and wet weather.
Old 26-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #9127
Master Member

First 1-2 weeks of June is still ok. Just short sleeve and jeans all the way. Mid-June onwards is when the weather becomes SGish.
Old 26-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #9128
Arch-Supremacy Member

imo summer is e best time to go Hokkaido.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #9129
Arch-Supremacy Member

imo summer is e best time to go Hokkaido.
Why summer??
Old 26-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #9130

Why summer??
Generally good weather during summer in Hokkaido. Depends on individual’s preference, been to Honshu a few times from June to August for festivals. I won’t mind heading back to Honshu in summer.
Old 26-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #9131
Supremacy Member

First 1-2 weeks of June is still ok. Just short sleeve and jeans all the way. Mid-June onwards is when the weather becomes SGish.
Yes, perhaps 1st 2 weeks of June still ok but need to plus minus therefore I included the whole of June as well.

I was there (in Honshu) last month - mid Jun till end Jun.
It was raining 50% of the time and the fog was bad in the mountains (Nikko and Hakone) so visibility was poor and the trip to Nikko was totally ruined.

Towards the end of my trip, the weather was like Singapore and the sun was scorching hot.
Old 26-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #9132
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why summer??
bcos summer Hokkaido is not as hot as e mainland n got all these (pics from google)

evilerniex and princessreiko like this.

Last edited by szeli; 27-07-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Old 27-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #9133
Supremacy Member

I visited Hokkaido 8 years ago.
It was a driving trip.
I was there end of May till early June but didn't get to see the lavendar .

Yes, it was chilly over there at that time and I remembered I didn't bring enough warm wear and had to buy some over there.

I would like to visit Hokkaido again someday.
Is possible to tour the place using public transport?
Old 27-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #9134
Arch-Supremacy Member

I visited Hokkaido 8 years ago.
It was a driving trip.
I was there end of May till early June but didn't get to see the lavendar .

Yes, it was chilly over there at that time and I remembered I didn't bring enough warm wear and had to buy some over there.

I would like to visit Hokkaido again someday.
Is possible to tour the place using public transport?
public transport is possible but hard n quite time consuming.
Old 27-07-2018, 01:54 AM   #9135

Summer in Hokkaido is fantastic. I work for a Eurocentric dept so mid-July onwards things slow down and I can easily take holiday without worrying about meetings or big events being scheduled during euro summer. But that time frame is too hot for a relaxing holiday almost everywhere in Asia. Hokkaido is my go to because the weather is fantastic and as long as you go before end July when local school holidays get into full swing (as with China), is a perfect period since Also a slow holiday period for SG....
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.