HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #916

Sorry wasn't specific in my question, was wondering if there was a snow resort near tokyo for a short day ski trip?
Old 19-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #917

any ski school to recommend for niseko?
Old 19-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #918

Sorry wasn't specific in my question, was wondering if there was a snow resort near tokyo for a short day ski trip?
The nearest and most accessible i think should be Yuzawa (Yuzawa Travel Guide) bout 2 hrs from Japan. The next nearest but no so directly accessible i should think would be Snow Town Yeti at the base of Mt Fuji.

But do check if they are already open though.
Old 19-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #919

any ski school to recommend for niseko?
I just came back from there! Stayed at the Hilton so i used the classes run by the Niseko Village Ski School. Very friendly and accommodating instructors. There were some Canadians, Australians and American instructors so language won't be a problem.
Old 19-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #920

The nearest and most accessible i think should be Yuzawa (Yuzawa Travel Guide) bout 2 hrs from Japan. The next nearest but no so directly accessible i should think would be Snow Town Yeti at the base of Mt Fuji.

But do check if they are already open though.
Thanks for the info, will check the guide out! Much appreciated.
Old 19-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #921

I just came back from there! Stayed at the Hilton so i used the classes run by the Niseko Village Ski School. Very friendly and accommodating instructors. There were some Canadians, Australians and American instructors so language won't be a problem.

I staying at the hilton but the ski school no more booking for private group lesson already
Old 20-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #922
Supremacy Member

I saw this in Kyoto, what does it mean?

してもらったことは忘れない。してやったことは忘れよう

Do not forget what makes you what you are?
Old 20-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #923
Master Member

I saw this in Kyoto, what does it mean?

してもらったことは忘れない。してやったことは忘れよう

Do not forget what makes you what you are?
I think it means forget not what you have received, but please forget what you gave out. Giving is better than receiving.

Dimitri sensei can correct me, domo arigatou.

P.S. oops slight error - して貰う - what others have done for you & してやる - what you have done for others
dimitri_can likes this.

Last edited by kifo; 20-12-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Old 20-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #924
Supremacy Member

I think it means forget not what you have received, but please forget what you gave out. Giving is better than receiving.

Dimitri sensei can correct me, domo arigatou.

P.S. oops slight error - して貰う - what others have done for you & してやる - what you have done for others
Thanks for the help. I saw it outside the ghibli merchandise shop in Kyoto.

So the meaning is like 'Do not forget what others have done for you but forget what you did for others?'

Last edited by Sephirot; 20-12-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 22-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #925
Master Member

Btw, Jr pass can use in Tokyo rail only or can use on other cities like Osaka n Kyoto? I confusing how the pass work n izzit can use in Tokyo metro too? Currently planning to go Osaka, Kyoto n Tokyo. Need some guidance on their railway system as is my virgin trip.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #926
Supremacy Member

Btw, Jr pass can use in Tokyo rail only or can use on other cities like Osaka n Kyoto? I confusing how the pass work n izzit can use in Tokyo metro too? Currently planning to go Osaka, Kyoto n Tokyo. Need some guidance on their railway system as is my virgin trip.
Can use for any JR lines in the whole of Japan. Nex and shinkasen included. However there are some exception e.g. JR trains using non-JR tracks/Nozomi Shinkasen

Tokyo Metro cannot as its not under JR.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #927

8th March may not have blossomed at Tokyo since it does not warm up over there so soon... Sakura bloom in a particular temperature range.

How many people? You can consider Palace Japan as well. It is a short walk from Minami Senju stn. Accommodations in Shinjuku would mostly be expensive. As you are looking at a Khaosan hostel, I reckon you looking for under 4k a night places.

All 3 Shinjuku/Harajuku/Shibuya?? Might be a little tough, depends on how much you like the stuff the shops have in each area.

Tsujiki Auctions, you would probably save more by spending the nite at a Mangacafe nearby (not to mention it is an "experience").

EAT!! There is lots of good food (sushi especially) at Tsujiki market area. My personal advice would be to buy whatever you really fancy as long as you are within your weight limits for luggage and budget. Not everything can be bought somewhere else. Most and I stress MOST okashi can be found at Ameyoko's niki no kashi cheaply.

There is a temple nearby Tokyo Tower.

I recall is from convi store....

One Piece stuff I last know of not in Tokyo city limits

They give plastic bags if it is needed, depends on the department store they might charge. Bring a couple of your own bags wun hurt.

Not as many trash bins as here. Note that trash needs to separated in Japan.

March is good! No problems.... maybe slight concern of rain

Where is your planned accommodations are in Kyoto? Do they have pickup service?
Ryokans serve dinner as a set but I do not think it is kaiseki for most ryokans. It is a normal washouku set.

I would say DON'T eat Kobe beef for it's sake. Just look for "和牛" (wagyu) places within your budget. I know of a place in Shinjuku where a foodcourt (but extremely gaijin unfrenly) has good wagyu burger steaks.

Tokyo banana, available at Tokyo station to cover the different flavours. I do not fancy it but it is pretty nice.
There are few places to do sight seeing in Osaka besides Osaka Castle.
wow thanks for Palace Japan recommendation! My fren is under a tight budget so I have to follow along for cheaper accommodation.

My ryokan in kyoto does not provide pick up services. Planning to stay at one day at ohanabo to experience the breakfast and dinner and one day at ryokan shimizu. both seems walkable distance from the station. I don't even know there is a difference between washoku and kaiseki

okay more research needed for osaka and kobe. and i guess i will skip the tokyo banana unless it magically appear in front of me at the airport XD

Last edited by agony2; 22-12-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Old 22-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #928

Sake 2 litres max + 1 litre of beer
woohoo thanks!

I've stayed at Khaosan Kabuki and wouldn't recommend it for 2 persons. The room rate for a double or twin room online needs to be multiplied by the number of persons staying there. For example, if you see twin room USD $50. That is the rate for a single person. The rate for 2 persons is USD $50 x 2.

I would go for this only if I'm traveling alone and don't mind backpacker's accommodation. You're looking at really thin, stained mattresses, putting on bedsheets yourself, poor sound insulation, and erm, the works. I don't want to get into details here but tatami flooring in toilets is a big no-no for me.

To each his own. For me, it makes a great hostel but a lousy hotel. Location is wonderful though. Very close to the train station and less than 2 minutes walk to Karimon Gate. Bring good directions because it is very, very hard to find the first time. Its location marked on google maps is wrong when I searched for it about a month ago.
tatami flooring wow...... Well we have really low expectation for accommodation. just want cheap lodging. at this stage even dorms will do
Old 22-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #929
Master Member

Can use for any JR lines in the whole of Japan. Nex and shinkasen included. However there are some exception e.g. JR trains using non-JR tracks/Nozomi Shinkasen

Tokyo Metro cannot as its not under JR.
Ok. If the trip is 10days, I should get Jr pass for 7days. Or normally how u all do it?
Old 22-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #930
Supremacy Member

Ok. If the trip is 10days, I should get Jr pass for 7days. Or normally how u all do it?
Depends if u need to get out of Tokyo.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.