Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #9331
Supremacy Member

Camp in car as in drive caravans?
Dun recall seeing caravans in the area

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT
as in like literally sleep in car. budget max.
Old 30-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #9332
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not sure if that is allow. Police may come question u.
Anyway, if u stay in car, how are u going to shower? And car rental is expensive, y not just stay in a cheaper accom and take public transport?

Old 30-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #9333
High Supremacy Member

Just got confirmation my ICT is in early mar 2019.

Is it a good idea to go Toyko between 11-20 Apr 2019? Or is it under Golden Week?
Old 30-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #9334
Supremacy Member

Not sure if that is allow. Police may come question u.
Anyway, if u stay in car, how are u going to shower? And car rental is expensive, y not just stay in a cheaper accom and take public transport?

overnight in cars is quite a popular thing in japan, but you are right, police may come and check on you if they think you are suspicious or you have parked your car in a wrong area, especially if it is a private area and the owners have called the police on you.

popular and permissable areas for parking your cars overnight are in expressway service areas or in michinoeki car parks. you are perfectly allowed to park there and sleep. the only issue is that these are very busy places so I would think you must be prepared with ear plugs and eye masks and maybe find some covers for the windows. but these areas have toilets so no wonder they are popular.

but saying that, because of the popularity of shachuhaku 車中泊 among some japanese, there is an increasing number of michinoeki that have banned cars parking overnight. they will have the sign 車中泊禁止 or 宿泊禁止 displayed at the carparks.

other possible areas to park will be RV parks, but these places are quite rare
Old 30-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #9335
Master Member

use car GPS to search for nearby onsen to shower
T
unless you're seasoned, it's not comfortable to sleep in car
i suggest you stay in accommodation say every 1 ~ 2 day of sleep in car to be properly rested
Old 31-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #9336
Supremacy Member

use car GPS to search for nearby onsen to shower

unless you're seasoned, it's not comfortable to sleep in car
i suggest you stay in accommodation say every 1 ~ 2 day of sleep in car to be properly rested
That's what we are trying to plan to do. Coz accommodation there(the lake) not cheap. Plus we'll be renting a car to cover more areas. So we thought, y not just sleep in car (putting the aft row seats down for a flat surface) and use the discounted morning onsen's facilities for relaxation and bath, thereafter. (I'm quite seasoned to sleeping in cars and hard floors. but if cannot tahan, still get a 1 day accommodation, if any left).
Old 31-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #9337
Supremacy Member

overnight in cars is quite a popular thing in japan, but you are right, police may come and check on you if they think you are suspicious or you have parked your car in a wrong area, especially if it is a private area and the owners have called the police on you.

popular and permissable areas for parking your cars overnight are in expressway service areas or in michinoeki car parks. you are perfectly allowed to park there and sleep. the only issue is that these are very busy places so I would think you must be prepared with ear plugs and eye masks and maybe find some covers for the windows. but these areas have toilets so no wonder they are popular.

but saying that, because of the popularity of shachuhaku 車中泊 among some japanese, there is an increasing number of michinoeki that have banned cars parking overnight. they will have the sign 車中泊禁止 or 宿泊禁止 displayed at the carparks.

other possible areas to park will be RV parks, but these places are quite rare
Thanks, I'll take note of that. I see rvs parked in some rest stops in certain michinoeki (daytime) pictures on Google maps. Wonder where they park at night.

Also saw a few "camp sites" for pitching tents around the lakes. But mostly must pay.
Old 31-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #9338

Camping ground for RVs to park.. https://retreatcamp-mahoroba.net/

Google Map

On our upcoming trip (Dec 2018), we will be driving from Odawara Station to Kawaguchiko, and instead of sleeping inside the car, we booked a cottage (La Posada) for one night.

Last edited by august77; 31-08-2018 at 08:37 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 AM   #9339
Supremacy Member

I slept in a car before. with 4 others.. Was quite fine. Slept with the doors locked and windows open just a hair. Make sure engine is off or else you all gonna get CO poisoning lol.

Can is can. but what for lol
Old 01-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #9340

Plan to go to Nikko on 22 sept (Sat). From TOBU railways ltd express timetable, there is a train (Nikko 1) departing at 0730 from Shinjuku station . The online booking system only allow book to start from Asakusa. No dropdown list for other station.
Anyone go Nikko from Shinjuku stn before?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #9341
Supremacy Member

Plan to go to Nikko on 22 sept (Sat). From TOBU railways ltd express timetable, there is a train (Nikko 1) departing at 0730 from Shinjuku station . The online booking system only allow book to start from Asakusa. No dropdown list for other station.
Should be ok to book when you reach japan. I went in july and only booked at the jr counter when i collected my tokyo wide pass one day before my 7.30 train on a sat. Train wasn't full.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #9342
High Supremacy Member

Nikko 1 is a JR Line using Tobu rails. So i think you can only purchase using JR booking system.

Although can book online, easier to go physical buy ticket when you reach Japan. Normally Trains will not sold out unless golden week those period

Last edited by anyhowsaysay; 01-09-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #9343

Hello,
I’ve a trip to Tokyo on 1 Dec for a week. Currently I’m looking for a Ryokan stay experience with my spouse that has a private onsen. Is it common that meals are in own room if it’s not stated. Finding the perfect room can be a challenge.
Anyone with experience care to share any ideal location?

I’m looking for room
For 2
Scenic view / open air private onsen
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.
Any issue with bringing luggage along?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #9344

Hello,
Iíve a trip to Tokyo on 1 Dec for a week. Currently Iím looking for a Ryokan stay experience with my spouse that has a private onsen. Is it common that meals are in own room if itís not stated. Finding the perfect room can be a challenge.

Iím looking for room
For 2
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.
Generally for ryokans, so long as they are not near any station, they (most) would provide pick-up services. No issue with bringing your luggage along. You need to look at the locations you want to stay in - popular ones like Hakone, Kawaguchiko, Kinugawa Onsen. Or Atami or further down within Izu Peninsula. Rooms that come with private baths won't be cheap.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #9345
High Supremacy Member

Hello,
Iíve a trip to Tokyo on 1 Dec for a week. Currently Iím looking for a Ryokan stay experience with my spouse that has a private onsen. Is it common that meals are in own room if itís not stated. Finding the perfect room can be a challenge.

Iím looking for room
For 2
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.
My experience with ryokans in Japan.

Their pickup is very restrictive. certain timing near to check in at train station etc.
So i often if i arrive at the area earlier, i will take train/cab down to ryokan to offload my luggage there first.

And nowadays they don't even send you back to station after checkout. Only thing they will do is call a cab for you (Last time few years ago, van/bus back to station after checkout is fairly common).

Open air private onsen quite many ryokan have it. Need to pay quite a lot in certain areas. more than even the 5 stars high end hotel in Japan. With scenic view even higher cost, 1k-2k per night type of high.

Meals in own room. Most ryokan will have that, if your room is big enough. Last time i stayed one ryokan in noboribetsu. got dedicated dining room within my own room. impressive

No issue with bringing luggage
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.