Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #976
PC
Supremacy Member

I'm having my first visit to Japan in late March, will be flying to Osaka. Need help on where to visit, I've 13 nights. So far only plan Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Takayama.

Any other nice places to visit in that area?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #977
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll be staying in Osaka for 6 nights alone . I may or may not visit Kobe or Kyoto.

In regards to transportation around the city, is the ICOCA IC card enough? Or should I buy a JR Pass instead? Or both? I'm flying in to KIX and staying nearby Osaka station.

I understand that JR Pass is more for long distance travel to other far away cities.

Sorry first time going to Japan and I don't speak Japanese.
if you just want to hang out in Osaka, you can get ICOCA or one of these passes, if you plan your itinerary well the passes will save you money.
Discount tickets for traveling around Osaka : OSAKA-INFO - Osaka Visitor's Guide
Old 14-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #978

Dear Guys, a noob question. Let say if I buy the 7 day JR pass, can i use it on the narita express from narita airport to Tokyo? Also for return trip, if I intend to go back sg via Haneda Airport, what will be the best way to travel to Haneda Airport? Does any metro pass cover it? Thanks alot guys!!! Cheers!!!
Old 14-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #979
Supremacy Member

Wanglai: yes. U can use it on Narita express. For return trip, it really depends where u are going there from? From Shinjuku or..?

check it out on hyperdia...
Old 14-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #980
Supremacy Member

I'm having my first visit to Japan in late March, will be flying to Osaka. Need help on where to visit, I've 13 nights. So far only plan Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Takayama.

Any other nice places to visit in that area?
hmmm, try searching on japan-guide.com
Old 14-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #981
Supremacy Member

im still planning a trip for autumn/winter 2014.

which is the cheapest to pull off?

1) fly from sg to tokyo---> tokyo to osaka(via shinkansen) ----> osaka to singapore

2) fly from sg to osaka---> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen) ----> tokyo to singapore

3) fly from sg to tokyo ---> tokyo to osaka(via shinkansen)----> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen---> tokyo to singapore

4) fly from sg to osaka ---> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen)---> tokyo to osaka (via shinkansen ---> osaka to singapore
Old 14-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #982
Supremacy Member

1) fly from sg to tokyo---> tokyo to osaka(via shinkansen) ----> osaka to singapore

2) fly from sg to osaka---> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen) ----> tokyo to singapore

3) fly from sg to tokyo ---> tokyo to osaka(via shinkansen)----> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen---> tokyo to singapore

4) fly from sg to osaka ---> osaka to tokyo(via shinkansen)---> tokyo to osaka (via shinkansen ---> osaka to singapore
Should be 2. From Osaka to Tokyo, u can take Peach airlines (Peach). Cheaper than Shinkansen.
Old 14-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #983
Arch-Supremacy Member

1 and 2 will probably cost the same.

between 3 and 4, it will depend on airline promotion. usually flight to osaka is slightly cheaper.

and between 1/2 and 3 or 4, it depends whether u can get cheap open jaw tickets. coz most of the time, airfare promotion doesnt allow open jaw. the extra amount u pay for open jaw tickets may be more than the amount u save on having 1 less shinkansen trip.

or go with dimitri's suggestion and go with domestic airline instead of shinkansen between osaka and tokyo. 1 way or 2 way depend again on whether u can get cheap open jaw ticket
Old 14-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #984

Wanglai: yes. U can use it on Narita express. For return trip, it really depends where u are going there from? From Shinjuku or..?

check it out on hyperdia...
Thanks alot bro for the reply. I try using the hyperdia and below is a sample of the journey from Shinjuku(JR) to Haneda Airport.

10:37begin SHINJUKU(JR)
[ Departure track No.8 ]
[13 Min] through JR Chuo Line Rapid Service

10:50
10:53 transfer TOKYO
[ Arrival track No.2 ]

[4 Min] through JR Keihin-Tohoku/Negishi Line Rapid

10:57
11:04 transfer HAMAMATSUCHO

[15 Min] through Tokyo Monorail Rapid

11:19 end HANEDA AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL BUILDING

1st question: Just to check whether the procedure is correct. Based on the schedule, I am suppose to take train at track no. 8 using JR Chuo Line Rapid Service, which take about 13 mins to reach tokyo station at track no. 2. After that I need to transfer to JR Keihin-Tohoku/Negishi Line Rapid which take 4mins to reach HAMAMATSUCHO, follow by last transfer to Haneda airport international building, through tokyo monorail rapid which take about 15min?
2nd question: Can I say if in tokyo station, the timing i had available to board the next transfer is only 3mins (10:50 to 10:53) If I cant find/reach the transfer in time, do I need to research everything again?
Sorry for so many question as this is the first time i going japan. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!!
Old 14-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #985
Supremacy Member

Thanks alot bro for the reply. I try using the hyperdia and below is a sample of the journey from Shinjuku(JR) to Haneda Airport.

[ Departure track No.8 ]

[ Arrival track No.2 ]

1st question: Just to check whether the procedure is correct. Based on the schedule, I am suppose to take train at track no. 8 using JR Chuo Line Rapid Service, which take about 13 mins to reach tokyo station at track no. 2. After that I need to transfer to JR Keihin-Tohoku/Negishi Line Rapid which take 4mins to reach HAMAMATSUCHO, follow by last transfer to Haneda airport international building, through tokyo monorail rapid which take about 15min?
2nd question: Can I say if in tokyo station, the timing i had available to board the next transfer is only 3mins (10:50 to 10:53) If I cant find/reach the transfer in time, do I need to research everything again?
Sorry for so many question as this is the first time i going japan. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!!
Answer to 1st question: Correct.
Answer to 2nd question: if unsure, just check hyperdia again or ask the station staff. =)

_______(Place that you wanna go) ma-de dou-yatte i-ki-ma-su ka
E.g

Shinjuku made douyatte ikimasu ka (How do i get to Shinjuku?)
Old 14-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #986
Arch-Supremacy Member

[ Departure track No.8 ]

[ Arrival track No.2 ]

The aim is to reach Hamamatsucho for the Monorail. From Hyperdia you can see many options given to you. And it changes as you change the timing. If you are late and missed the one highlighted, you can just wait for the next one. But you don't have this kind of flexibility when you have reserved seats trains where you must board a certain train that you have the seats reserved. But for your case, you don't have this problem.
Old 14-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #987
Supremacy Member

Should be 2. From Osaka to Tokyo, u can take Peach airlines (Peach). Cheaper than Shinkansen.
1 and 2 will probably cost the same.

between 3 and 4, it will depend on airline promotion. usually flight to osaka is slightly cheaper.

and between 1/2 and 3 or 4, it depends whether u can get cheap open jaw tickets. coz most of the time, airfare promotion doesnt allow open jaw. the extra amount u pay for open jaw tickets may be more than the amount u save on having 1 less shinkansen trip.

or go with dimitri's suggestion and go with domestic airline instead of shinkansen between osaka and tokyo. 1 way or 2 way depend again on whether u can get cheap open jaw ticket
cheaper by how much? its 12k yen for peach.

so fly from sg to osaka, then change to peach?

i dont plan to spend too long in tokyo this time. just wanna go hakone/fuji kyu highland, etc.

this trip is mostly osaka
Old 14-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #988
Supremacy Member

Single trip savings bout 2000-3000 yen
Old 15-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #989

Thanks alot bros dimitri_can and cpuer for the information. Does anyone try booking the JR pass through this website: Japan Rail Pass - Order Online Today from Japan Experience!
Does it mean the 7day JR all area pass cost S$333 excluding delivery charges? Thanks
Old 15-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #990
Supremacy Member

Buy via follow me agency. Can buy using japan yen
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.