HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #1111

I guess keeping the youngest one at home is not an option for you? Some times they will piss you off by say rather than going to "gaigai" they would rather stay in the hotel room for their anime or whatever that catches their fancy
I can't leave the youngest one at home as there is no one I can trust to take care of him.

I have problems booking a hotel room in Tokyo on 21 Mar as it is a public holiday. Anyone can recommend a good hotel away from the touristy area eg Shinjuku and Shibuya that is in a area that not too rowdy or seedy? Must be near to a metro station. Thanks
Old 15-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #1112
Arch-Supremacy Member

I can't leave the youngest one at home as there is no one I can trust to take care of him.

I have problems booking a hotel room in Tokyo on 21 Mar as it is a public holiday. Anyone can recommend a good hotel away from the touristy area eg Shinjuku and Shibuya that is in a area that not too rowdy or seedy? Must be near to a metro station. Thanks
Found one near Nippori,good for Narita and on Yamanote line.
Ueno, Asakusa, Ryogoku Accommodation - Search Result | Jalan : Hotel Booking Site
Old 15-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #1113

The lane from the main road (Okubo dori) to the hotel is a small lane. its not well lit. But we never once felt its unsafe to walk along it at night. My wife went out alone in the middle of the night to do cosmetic shopping by herself, she didn't freak out or anything too.

They have a a few drinking places along the lane, but no problem with them too. They have a little Koban(Police post) nearby, so it's as safe as it can be.

Don't let the stairs frighten you. If you are alone and struggling to hoist the luggage up, there will be someone that pops up to give you a hand. If you travel in group, then just use team work to solve it. No sweat.
Thank you for the info, cpuer! I'm travelling alone so kinda worried about safety.. Think I'll prob book this hotel!
Old 15-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #1114
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank you for the info, cpuer! I'm travelling alone so kinda worried about safety.. Think I'll prob book this hotel!
BTW, the lane could be dark at certain part but it always have someone walking along it. I gathered it connects all the way to Shinjuku, so it's not a deserted lane. 安啦。

Some photos to entice you

The front of the Hotel

A tiny shrine and a Koban(at the extreme left of the pic) guarding the lane

The busy Shin-Okubo JR station
Unspeakable likes this.

Last edited by cpuer; 15-02-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Old 16-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #1115

thank you, cpuer! the place definitely looks safe

Btw, it seems like there're no non-smoking rooms.. Was the smell ok?
Old 16-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #1116
Arch-Supremacy Member

thank you, cpuer! the place definitely looks safe

Btw, it seems like there're no non-smoking rooms.. Was the smell ok?
The 2 rooms we checked into were without any smoke smell. I don't know if they purposely chose those 2 rooms for us as I indicated in my booking form that I want non-smoking rooms.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #1117

Qn on travelling on trains

Hi there, am going to explore Tokyo region for abt 7 days with a trip to prob Disney. Do I need to buy the J Rail pass? Or good enuff buying single trip tix? Planning to stay at Ueno area but def want to go to the main Tokyo spots and sights. TIA
Old 17-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #1118
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi there, am going to explore Tokyo region for abt 7 days with a trip to prob Disney. Do I need to buy the J Rail pass? Or good enuff buying single trip tix? Planning to stay at Ueno area but def want to go to the main Tokyo spots and sights. TIA
u wouldnt need the 7-day JR pass since u are travelling within tokyo. the pass is expensive and is only worth it if u are taking long trips on their bullet train.

there are other passes/discount tickets u can consider, such as 1 or 2-days metro pass for unlimited rides on metro lines; or NEX+Suica pacakage if u are taking NEX from narita airport

which pass to get will depend on ur itinerary. within tokyo, i usually just go with single trip tickets or Suica (their store value card, similar to our ezlink card), coz i dun want to be tied down to any particular train line, and i am free to change my itinerary as and when i want
grunt likes this.
Old 17-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #1119

What is the allowance for? Food and transport only?

Yup,The $150 daily allowance is mainly for food and transports.

However, transport if claimable if required to travel to clients office ( I will be working from 'home' as staying at SOHO apartment) and food is claimable under entertainment when applicable.

So is $150 daily gd?

Any1 know 'market' rate?
Old 17-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #1120
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yup,The $150 daily allowance is mainly for food and transports.

However, transport if claimable if required to travel to clients office ( I will be working from 'home' as staying at SOHO apartment) and food is claimable under entertainment when applicable.

So is $150 daily gd?

Any1 know 'market' rate?
Dont know about market rate, but the allowance is good enough. Can have nice meals most of the time
Old 18-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #1121

Realised that none of my devices are in the list on Bmobile site. Any idea what SIM card I should get? Only require data for 8 days. I have the following: Ipad 2(os7), iphone 4(os7), HTC One, LG G. Be there in a few days. TIA!

edit: it worked on my ipad 2(OS6) last year but on the site it says OS7 can't(?)

Last edited by Espedine; 18-02-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Old 24-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #1122
Master Member

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Heading to Osaka soon, will my Samsung Galaxy S4 (I-9505) be able to get a signal there?
Old 25-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #1123

Hmmm.... not sure shld ask here. Me & friend(who been there only once) go "bang bang" girls in Tokyo.

Friends was telling us Osaka area would be good, some says Shinjuku. All i heard was Nagoyo or yokohama. One of friends had "hell of a fun" in Tobi-something....

Where do i go ?? before we resume our tour in the last 6 days.....
Old 25-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #1124
Supremacy Member

Hmmm.... not sure shld ask here. Me & friend(who been there only once) go "bang bang" girls in Tokyo.

Friends was telling us Osaka area would be good, some says Shinjuku. All i heard was Nagoyo or yokohama. One of friends had "hell of a fun" in Tobi-something....

Where do i go ?? before we resume our tour in the last 6 days.....
kabuki cho in shinjuku
Old 26-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #1125

any recommended apartment/inn for 5 people to stay for 1 month in tokyo?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.