HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #1141
High Supremacy Member

that time i stayed a night up at murodo so that i have enuf time for hiking to summit and to waterfall. i dunno whether there is enuf time to do waterfall and alpine route all in a day.

also, if u plan to do hiking in kamikochi, it will be better to cater a whole day. coz travel time from matsumoto to kamikochi is about an hour by bus. and the bus terminal at kamikochi is quite crowded, so u may not be able to get the bus timing u want.
I do intend to stay at one of the hotels on the mountain but it's not solo friendly.. Need at least 2 in a room and also most are reserved already, for late may. Worst case scenario find one at matsumoto.

As for kamikochi I will go early on day 2
Old 27-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #1142
Supremacy Member

Fastest way to get conned in Japan is to go look for fun in Kabuki cho while not speaking japanese I guess the only shop that will accept you are probably the Nigerian tout ones and you know how that normally ends up 99% of the time is probably PRC with conversational/fluent japanese ability...
simple japanese can get past kabuki cho.

just dont try english
Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #1143

1st time going to Japan with hubby in Dec'14. Wondering should we join tour group or go F&E. We prefer F&E trip but both of us can't speak a single word of Japanese language. Wondering will it be a problem if we can't speak Japanese?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #1144
High Supremacy Member

most hotel staff will be able to speak some english.

most Japanese on the street are also able to speak english. A few simple sentences of Japanese would be nice. Like "sorry, I can't speak japanese but I need your help" would calm their nerves a bit.

The train stations, airport do have english signage as well. You should be able to get by.

Shopping wise should be no problem. Especially if you can speak mandarin. There are quite a lot of chinese speaking staff in departos...
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #1145
Master Member

simple japanese can get past kabuki cho.

just dont try english

Get past as in walk past KabukiCho or have fun in Kabukicho?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #1146

Thanks cancer81 for your advise. Will go F&E.

most hotel staff will be able to speak some english.

most Japanese on the street are also able to speak english. A few simple sentences of Japanese would be nice. Like "sorry, I can't speak japanese but I need your help" would calm their nerves a bit.

The train stations, airport do have english signage as well. You should be able to get by.

Shopping wise should be no problem. Especially if you can speak mandarin. There are quite a lot of chinese speaking staff in departos...
Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #1147
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm leaving for Japan next Sunday so I've got some questions to ask here.
Firstly, can I use suica card on any train stations in kansai?(I'm travelling around Osaka and Kyoto).
Secondly, can I just buy my shinkansen tix at any JR ticketing machine and how many days in advance can I book my tix?
Lastly.. Does anyone have any experience of travelling via budget airline to Japan? I'm taking jetstar to KIX, but I'm transmitting in Taoyuan, so what's the sop I have to follow when I alight at Taoyuan? Thank you in advance!
Old 17-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1148

Sorry but I have previously asked this question but I can't find the reply.

I am taking a scoot flight to narita which arrives at 1045, and am intending to take a domestic flight which departs at 1310. Is there enough time? I have checked that both flights are in the same terminal.
Old 17-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #1149
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm leaving for Japan next Sunday so I've got some questions to ask here.
Firstly, can I use suica card on any train stations in kansai?(I'm travelling around Osaka and Kyoto).
Secondly, can I just buy my shinkansen tix at any JR ticketing machine and how many days in advance can I book my tix?
Lastly.. Does anyone have any experience of travelling via budget airline to Japan? I'm taking jetstar to KIX, but I'm transmitting in Taoyuan, so what's the sop I have to follow when I alight at Taoyuan? Thank you in advance!
suica can be used in kansai.

shinkasen tickets must get from JR tickets office. Not sure max is how many days in advance. One to 2 weeks should be Ok. My experience is that the tix are aplenty if you book one or 2 days in advance during off peak. Unless you are going in a contingent, small travelling group is not an issue. The worst is only you guys wont get to sit together. If really worried, just book it whenever you see an JR ticket office lo.
Old 19-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #1150
Supremacy Member

Sorry but I have previously asked this question but I can't find the reply.

I am taking a scoot flight to narita which arrives at 1045, and am intending to take a domestic flight which departs at 1310. Is there enough time? I have checked that both flights are in the same terminal.
More than enough time. Don't worry! You even have time for lunch!
Old 19-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #1151
Supremacy Member

I do intend to stay at one of the hotels on the mountain but it's not solo friendly.. Need at least 2 in a room and also most are reserved already, for late may. Worst case scenario find one at matsumoto.

As for kamikochi I will go early on day 2
I just went to check. Lots of hotels with rooms available. Or are you only looking at top end hotels?

宿泊施* | 上高地公式ウェブサイト
Old 19-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #1152
Supremacy Member

suica can be used in kansai.

shinkasen tickets must get from JR tickets office. Not sure max is how many days in advance. One to 2 weeks should be Ok. My experience is that the tix are aplenty if you book one or 2 days in advance during off peak. Unless you are going in a contingent, small travelling group is not an issue. The worst is only you guys wont get to sit together. If really worried, just book it whenever you see an JR ticket office lo.
suica can use in kansai?

i thought kansai need icoca?
Old 19-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #1153
Arch-Supremacy Member

suica can use in kansai?

i thought kansai need icoca?
can use, but with some limitations
SUICA/PASMO/ICOCA prepaid cards - youinJapan.net
Old 19-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #1154
Arch-Supremacy Member

can use, but with some limitations
SUICA/PASMO/ICOCA prepaid cards - youinJapan.net
sweet, thanks! so i suppose that i could use the suica card within osaka, but if i were to take the train from osaka to kyoto i have to use the icoca?
Old 19-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #1155
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just went to check. Lots of hotels with rooms available. Or are you only looking at top end hotels?

宿泊施* | 上高地公式ウェブサイト
think he meant accommodation up at Murodo which is quite limited.
if i remember correctly, there is only 1 hotel up there, tateyama hotel, which is quite expensive. got a few ryokans also, but must walk quite a bit.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.