HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #121

I guess the iternery may have changef for the past 5yrs. but I'm not going back to them or any agencies for any tours to Hokkaido or Japan.

Or any other countries for that matter haha
yea heard about a lot of scary stories. anyway what are the must buy stuffs over there? are the stuffs like dried scallops really much cheaper?
Old 13-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #122

yea heard about a lot of scary stories. anyway what are the must buy stuffs over there? are the stuffs like dried scallops really much cheaper?
Yup and most other seafood too.

What I learnt from this trip is that Otaru may not be the cheapest place to buy fresh/dried scallops. Seaweed and 昆布 still ok.

You'd be surprised how cheap things are at Sapporo Outer Market. Google for the place location.That marketr primarily caters to their locals, so the $$ are cheaper. Its virtually impossible for any tour groups in SG to go there de. See the difference between F&E and packaged tours? F&E allows you to mingle with the locals at their levels... packaged tours forces you to see pre-determined tourist spots.

If you want fresh scallops at the source, meaning straight off the farms, you may consider touring the east coast of Hokkaido. Abashiri, Yubetsu and Mombetsu are major producers of ultra high quality scallops and other seafood. You can see some of their 'kelong' along the coastline when you drive along it.

百色恋人choc can be bought at the factory itself. The place is a must go in Sapporo.

And you gotta try the western pastries and cakes in Sapporo. You'd be surprised how the Japs can actually improve on western dishes with their Japs elements. They're not cheap but the taste is something you can't get here in SG for that kind of $$.
Old 13-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #123

Yup and most other seafood too.

What I learnt from this trip is that Otaru may not be the cheapest place to buy fresh/dried scallops. Seaweed and 昆布 still ok.

You'd be surprised how cheap things are at Sapporo Outer Market. Google for the place location.That marketr primarily caters to their locals, so the $$ are cheaper. Its virtually impossible for any tour groups in SG to go there de. See the difference between F&E and packaged tours? F&E allows you to mingle with the locals at their levels... packaged tours forces you to see pre-determined tourist spots.

If you want fresh scallops at the source, meaning straight off the farms, you may consider touring the east coast of Hokkaido. Abashiri, Yubetsu and Mombetsu are major producers of ultra high quality scallops and other seafood. You can see some of their 'kelong' along the coastline when you drive along it.

百色恋人choc can be bought at the factory itself. The place is a must go in Sapporo.

And you gotta try the western pastries and cakes in Sapporo. You'd be surprised how the Japs can actually improve on western dishes with their Japs elements. They're not cheap but the taste is something you can't get here in SG for that kind of $$.
is it the ishiya white chocolate place? is the chocolate really good cos im not really a fan of white chocolate? and how much is it roughly?
Old 13-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #124

is it the ishiya white chocolate place? is the chocolate really good cos im not really a fan of white chocolate? and how much is it roughly?
To each his own la. Its great for me. Hey this ain't white choc from Cadbury leyThe taste, quality etc are much higher

How much depends on what types/size of choc you buy. From SG$7+ onwards

Shiroi Kubito choc is famous throighout the world. Just because its not sold regularly in SG doesn't mean its not well known.

Meidiya and Isetan do bring in limited quantities to sell everytime they hold a Hokkaido food/travel fair. But the $$ here is almost 50% more than you buy in the factory directly
Old 13-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #125

To each his own la. Its great for me. Hey this ain't white choc from Cadbury leyThe taste, quality etc are much higher

How much depends on what types/size of choc you buy. From SG$7+ onwards

Shiroi Kubito choc is famous throighout the world. Just because its not sold regularly in SG doesn't mean its not well known.

Meidiya and Isetan do bring in limited quantities to sell everytime they hold a Hokkaido food/travel fair. But the $$ here is almost 50% more than you buy in the factory directly
true also. will go there and have a look. but what are the snacks/souvenirs to buy for gifts that i can buy over that are not too bulky and cost about maybe $3 each?
Old 13-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #126

true also. will go there and have a look. but what are the snacks/souvenirs to buy for gifts that i can buy over that are not too bulky and cost about maybe $3 each?
Those 100yen shops are your best bet. There are other 100 yen shops in Hokkaido in addition to Daiso.

Or you can also shop ard various gift shops located inside the attractions for best deals. You may just find something within your budget

FYI, unlike Sillypore, where we often have to pay alot for food only to find it taste awful, there's no such things as awful tasting food in Japan, particularly in Hokkaido. If you read my other postings/threads, Japs take great pride in their work and they're very particular about food quality.

Like I said, make full use of their 7-11, Lawson and Senicmart for your low priced food, beer,sake, shioju etc You have to experience it to believe it.

Do not use our local 7-11 as reference
Old 13-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #127

Those 100yen shops are your best bet. There are other 100 yen shops in Hokkaido in addition to Daiso.

Or you can also shop ard various gift shops located inside the attractions for best deals. You may just find something within your budget

FYI, unlike Sillypore, where we often have to pay alot for food only to find it taste awful, there's no such things as awful tasting food in Japan, particularly in Hokkaido. If you read my other postings/threads, Japs take great pride in their work and they're very particular about food quality.

Like I said, make full use of their 7-11, Lawson and Senicmart for your low priced food, beer,sake, shioju etc You have to experience it to believe it.

ok. is there anything to buy at the airport? chitose and narita?
Old 13-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #128

ok. is there anything to buy at the airport? chitose and narita?
Sure. Just shope around
Old 13-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #129

Sure. Just shope around
ok. looks like i need to change alot of cash to bring along.
Old 17-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #130

Hi, a question.
When connecting to domestic flight at Haneda, do I need to check out baggage first, then check in again?
Thanks
Old 17-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #131

Hi, a question.
When connecting to domestic flight at Haneda, do I need to check out baggage first, then check in again?
Thanks
Yes you will need to collect all your luggage after you cleared Jap immigration at Haneda airport and lug them to the domestic check in terminal and check in again

Do take note that you need to collect free train/monorail pass from the info counter at the international arrival terminal for your trip to the domestic terminal. Haneda airport is so big that reg train and monorail services from Tokyo downtown runs through both terminals.

See here.
International-to-Domestic Transfers | Haneda Airport International Terminal

And here
Tokyo Monorail : Haneda Airport Guide > Connecting between international and domestic flights (Transit)
Old 17-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #132
Supremacy Member

i never believe in tours..

i just took a 10 day holiday to tokyo in dec.

just did some homework before going. also managed well there
Old 23-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #133

Yes you will need to collect all your luggage after you cleared Jap immigration at Haneda airport and lug them to the domestic check in terminal and check in again

Do take note that you need to collect free train/monorail pass from the info counter at the international arrival terminal for your trip to the domestic terminal. Haneda airport is so big that reg train and monorail services from Tokyo downtown runs through both terminals.

See here.
International-to-Domestic Transfers | Haneda Airport International Terminal

And here
Tokyo Monorail : Haneda Airport Guide > Connecting between international and domestic flights (Transit)
Thanks! But my domestic flight quite early so I can only take the shuttle bus...
Old 24-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #134
Master Member

Just came back frm 7d Tokyo trip. Final night went to ueno ameyoko street to get another bag for check.in luggage. Went into this supermarket which sells alot of Japanese.sweets and tidbits, all quite low priced 100 to 300 yen. I bought an over flowing full basket for 10k yen...end up bag I bought full of these and had to buy yet another small bag at airport...lol
Old 24-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #135

Thanks! But my domestic flight quite early so I can only take the shuttle bus...
How early? The monorail starts operation at 5.15am iirc. What time does your flight from SG touch down at Haneda?

You need to factor in more transit time if u take the bus. Try the monorail if u can
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.