Basic Japanese for Travel

ShinigamiX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do u say, "this is my first time in japan"?

and is "watashi wa nihongo sukoshi o shitte iru" correct? i can speak a little japanese??

thks! :)

Pitahaya

Reaction score
I honestly think you really only need two words!

Sumimasen and Arigato... :s22:

I survived 8 days Kansai with those 2 words... :s13:

Agreed. The more you speak Japanese, the more they'll think you'll understand and reply to you in pure Japanese :p Most Japanese do understand English and some of the younger ones are keen to practice it on you :D

Just start off with a "Sumimasen". Then speak in English clearly & simply, so they can understand and won't get too flustered the first time. Lastly, close off with a "Arigatou gozaimasu" or "Sankyuu" and a small bow :)

You can also use "[Place] doko desu ka?" (Where is this [place]?). So you can ask "Toire doko desu ka?" (Where is the toilet?), or point to a spot on a map or your phone "Doko desu ka?" - and you're all set to go!

I've encountered a Shinjuku Kinokuniya cashier who couldn't speak English (the only one so far), was terrified (yet insisted to serve me, despite an offer from her colleague to take over), and yet managed to do exactly what I needed her to (I gave her a big smile and thumbs up) ;)

huiling25

Reaction score
Thanks! I still get my particles mixed up but most of the time they can still understand me :p

は (wa) is topic particle, used for pointing to a subject/topic of a sentence.

を (wo) is used when using an action to take something.

が (ga) is usually used for expressing feelings, it can also mean "but"

へ (e) is used to state the direction.

These 4 particles are frequently used in basic Japanese.

Hope it helps!! ^_^

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.