HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Going Japan this Oct-Dec?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Master Member

Going Japan this Oct-Dec?

How many of you are confident enough to travel for this koyo and winter season? Starting to book refundable hotels but haven't purchased any airtix yet. Prices are still quite high.
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

We havenít booked anything yet as well. Hoping to see how the situation is like in May.
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
VD
Supremacy Member

Book at your own risk. There is some report from Taiwan that they ain't confident that the situation might improve even when summer arrived, and I think chances of getting refund will drastically reduced as time passes, not unless MFA issues an travel advisory.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #4

Shld be ok to book refundable tix n hotels n adopt wait n see approach. Anw the prices also havenít start lelong so no hurry.
juxtaposition is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Master Member

Safe to book all refundable for now. Airtix probably go with JAL/ANA as their domestic flights from Osaka to Tokyo is cheaper than shinkansen but see how.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
VD
Supremacy Member

yeah, best to book Air tix/accommodation with free cancellation or refund
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #7

Good question, I was Googling about this. The article I was reading says the hot season here "should" hasten the virus demise, but of course nobody knows and there are conflicting views. We've cancelled all our Spring tours (never run tours in summer anyway) but planning to release our autumn leaves tour soon. However decided will open waiting list but not take any deposit yet. It's really horrible situation. Disclaimer: I'm a travel agent here.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Master Member

As this virus is similar to SARS, judging from previous episodes, there will still be remnants of the virus but they are mostly contained. No one is sure what happens next.

Fingers crossed the storm will pass, we continue to practice good hygiene, tourists start to return, omotenashi coming back, and someone burn that bloody market to the ground.
KyushuWoozy likes this.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Since I been going to for Koyo viewing annually since 2013.
This year no exception, Flight already booked (8th Koyo in a row)

Plus 20/26 nights of hotels also all secured. Just waiting for some ryokans to start accepting reservations in the next few months.

If the situation does not improve by Nov, I guess Japan will be in a big headache (Olympic Cancellation, etc)
anyhowsaysay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:11 AM   #10

I am sure if this virus continues to drag on in Japan, there will be fewer tourists and prices will drop in order to entice more visitors to come.
Nova6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
Master Member

I am sure if this virus continues to drag on in Japan, there will be fewer tourists and prices will drop in order to entice more visitors to come.
I might be wrong but after several trips and my limited knowledge of their culture, they would rather go bust than to offer huge discounts. This is referring to SMEs only like family ryokans, izakaya, restaurants, obasan shops, etc. Big hotel chains may be cheaper but not a lot.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Great Supremacy Member

this virus will be here for a long time cuz i believe it will not be like SARS and disappeared during summer

so just monitor and decide after june/july

i alrdy thinking maybe this yr not going overseas at all
Old 09-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Master Member

I have a trip in May. But so far I don't see that hotel rates have gone down at all.
Beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
Master Member

I have a trip in May. But so far I don't see that hotel rates have gone down at all.
Hotel rates during koyo seasn is still very high. Maybe higher by 10% compared to 2019. The "better" rates are non-refundable and they may not be that flexible as compared to airlines in getting refunds in case sith happens.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

Only some will have such flexible rates depending on demand one.

Some other hotels i know is fixed rate, and they do annual revision on the rates.
So the rates even with the virus also never move...

But then looking at my next trips, actually some hotels did become cheaper..
But then it is one of my super regular hotel so i will still honor my old rates pay extra is fine.
anyhowsaysay is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.