HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help! Japan trip in July

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Help! Japan trip in July

Hi, I'm planning to bring my family to Japan this October*. We have not been on many trips because we are not well to do.

This will be the first time that we are traveling by ourselves and I'm more intimidated than excited by it.

My parents are in their 50s. Which city will you recommend that is easily accessible? They like sceneries; preferably not too much walking. Please point me to any good itineraries that I can follow to a T. Thank you!

Decided to go in October* for better weather. Cheers.

Thinking of tokyo(4)-kyoto(4)-osaka(2)

Sent from Ilovennp using GAGT
havealaughclown likes this.

Last edited by Wishdom; 24-03-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Wishdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #2

Hey bro! Yes, it will be good but a lot of walking. Take note, it will be summer. It will be hot that SG - higher humidity and the heat will tire you guys immediately.
Old 21-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

Tons of questions.

Are you visiting first half or later half of July? And which part of Japan are you looking at? Kanto? Kansai or Hokkaido? If you wished to have cool and good weather, then Hokkaido. How many of you and how many days do you intend to go? Is driving an option?

If itís a short trip about 5D-7D, stick to one city.
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tons of questions.

Are you visiting first half or later half of July? And which part of Japan are you looking at? Kanto? Kansai or Hokkaido? If you wished to have cool and good weather, then Hokkaido. How many of you and how many days do you intend to go? Is driving an option?

If it’s a short trip about 5D-7D, stick to one city.
First half.

We've been to hokkaido once with a tour group, so any other part that is not so hot?

4 people in total, we are open to driving.

10-14 days trip?

Last edited by Wishdom; 21-03-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Old 21-03-2019, 11:25 PM   #5

First half.

We've been to hokkaido once with a tour group, so any other part that is not so hot?

4 people in total, we are open to driving.
10-14 days trip?

Itís not just going to be hot in Honshu, itíll be wet with short bouts of showers. Went to Tokyo for a week in late June once, it ended up raining everyday. Hokkaido on the other hand, had great weather (been there in late June too). So itíll be a hit-and-miss for the showers. But good timing to catch hydrangeas and fireflies. Thereís tanabata as well. Also the season of new green. Scenery - just head to places for good treks e.g. Kamikochi.

Nothing wrong with heading back to Hokkaido, thereís different things to do and see in different months. The same goes for Tokyo and other parts of Honshu. Come to think of it, Iíve not been to Tokyo in March and December only.
Old 23-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Actually if unsure and don't like too much walking, plus parents are older, why not consider tour group?
kosongice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually if unsure and don't like too much walking, plus parents are older, why not consider tour group?
I've been on tour group to hokkaido with family before. Its expensive... 20k for 4?

My estimated cost for free and easy for a 10 day trip(tokyo-kyoto-osaka) is 10k for 4. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 23-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

I've been on tour group to hokkaido with family before. Its expensive... 20k for 4?

My estimated cost for free and easy for a 10 day trip(tokyo-kyoto-osaka) is 10k for 4. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
$5k per person for how many days? And the season you went? How many onsen hotels did you stay? Were the meals included, kaiseki or buffet? All these would make lots of difference.
Old 23-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

$5k per person for how many days? And the season you went? How many onsen hotels did you stay? Were the meals included, kaiseki or buffet? All these would make lots of difference.
Will you also recommend tour group?
Are you suggesting that tour groups can be worth their price?

Old 23-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #10

Will you also recommend tour group?
Are you suggesting that tour groups can be worth their price?

Iíve never join tours to Japan (minus day tours within Japan) so I canít advise much. Iím only asking because you have to consider factors that contribute to that cost. If your folks could do the walks especially in Kyoto, go ahead and DIY.

And hey, youíve not answered my questions too.

$10k for 4 pax in 10D? Might be tight, depending on your choice of travel period and destinations, airfare, transportation, food and lodging. Early July would still be off-shoulder season. Local festivals and weekends would mean higher hotel expenses as well.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I’ve never join tours to Japan (minus day tours within Japan) so I can’t advise much. I’m only asking because you have to consider factors that contribute to that cost. If your folks could do the walks especially in Kyoto, go ahead and DIY.

And hey, you’ve not answered my questions too.

$10k for 4 pax in 10D? Might be tight, depending on your choice of travel period and destinations, airfare, transportation, food and lodging. Early July would still be off-shoulder season. Local festivals and weekends would mean higher hotel expenses as well.
I've decided to go in early October for better weather. Probably up budget to 15k?

The hokkaido trip was in September/October? Can't remember really. 2 onsen hotels, some meals included, breakfast buffet.

14 days trip in hokkaido*

Last edited by Wishdom; 24-03-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Old 24-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

$5k per pax is very expensive. Btt of coz depends on number of days and the itinerary
Typically tour packages to Hokkaido is ard $2.5-3k for 8-10days trip
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

$5k per pax is very expensive. Btt of coz depends on number of days and the itinerary
Typically tour packages to Hokkaido is ard $2.5-3k for 8-10days trip
Forgot to mention, it was a 14 days trip.

Old 24-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #14

I've decided to go in early October for better weather. Probably up budget to 15k?

The hokkaido trip was in September/October? Can't remember really. 2 onsen hotels, some meals included, breakfast buffet.

14 days trip in hokkaido*

Ah.. You went during the peak season for autumn colors! Which might explain why it was slightly more expensive. $5k pp for two weeks is still alright if the tour brought you all to places very far. Hokkaido is very big.

Since youíre heading to the cities, perhaps you might want to consider taking the Shinkansen instead of driving. Are you flying into Tokyo and out from Osaka? If yes, you might not need to get JR Pass.
Old 24-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ah.. You went during the peak season for autumn colors! Which might explain why it was slightly more expensive. $5k pp for two weeks is still alright if the tour brought you all to places very far. Hokkaido is very big.

Since you’re heading to the cities, perhaps you might want to consider taking the Shinkansen instead of driving. Are you flying into Tokyo and out from Osaka? If yes, you might not need to get JR Pass.
Yeah, will most likely not be driving. Flying into tokyo and out from osaka seems like a great idea! That's something that we can look into!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.