HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Japan Autumn 2019

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #376
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes thats the reason why i started this thread too so we can all discuss and share

How are you allocating ur days for the 3 places? If you are spending more time in kyoto and want to base in kyoto, dont bother staying 1 night in osaka. Save the money and time and head straight to kyoto.

If its osaka where to base, then just go to hotel after you reach...
Did you even bother to read and comprehend why jiongjiongjiong is thinking of spending the 1st night in Osaka?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #377
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys hi. This thread provides really a lot of info. Thank you so much. This is my first time travelling to Japan with my family. All 4 adults. 3-11 Nov 2019. Planning to go the touristy places. Kyoto/Osaka/Nara.

Initially I planning to go Kyoto then Osaka. But my first day reaching Kansai Airport is about 920pm. The Haruka last train is about 10pm so I don’t think I can catch it. What is ur suggestion? Should I stay in Osaka one night then go Kyoto on the second day?
The internet says a kot of people have managed to catch the last Haruka train when their flight arrives before 9.30pm. Not sure if you want to take the gamble.

If you go to Osaka on the first night and you and your traveling mates have the energy, there's dotonburi. It's 24 hours. Kyoto is a short train ride away from Kyoto. You have the option of making Osaka your base.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #378
Supremacy Member

If thats the case then no point to base kyoto. Just take osaka

Did you even bother to read and comprehend why jiongjiongjiong is thinking of spending the 1st night in Osaka?
flowerpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #379

Yes thats the reason why i started this thread too so we can all discuss and share

How are you allocating ur days for the 3 places? If you are spending more time in kyoto and want to base in kyoto, dont bother staying 1 night in osaka. Save the money and time and head straight to kyoto.

If its osaka where to base, then just go to hotel after you reach...
I think
Kyoto 4 days
Nara 1 day
Osaka 3 days

I am still procrastinating until now..not even booking hotel..looking at the JR passes and

Finally trying to start planning the facing the 1st problem d..where to stay for the first night LOL.
jiongjiongjiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #380

The internet says a kot of people have managed to catch the last Haruka train when their flight arrives before 9.30pm. Not sure if you want to take the gamble.

If you go to Osaka on the first night and you and your traveling mates have the energy, there's dotonburi. It's 24 hours. Kyoto is a short train ride away from Kyoto. You have the option of making Osaka your base.
Hi thanks for replying. Is that so?
So far what i found online is better dont take the risk.
Either stay one night near airport (i check the first cabin in the airport so freaking expensive T__T)

Or go Kyoto by bus, or take train (but not the Haruka)

My travelling mates = parents..so may want to do everything slowly.
I am thinking to take bus to Kyoto..
Usually which area is better to stay at Kyoto?
Will do some research while all the gurusss willing to reply.

Last edited by jiongjiongjiong; 12-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #381
Supremacy Member

Hey ur days are same as mine

4d kyoto
1d nara
3d osaka

But i base only in kyoto and will reach KIX in the morning
I can use Icoca haruka

I think
Kyoto 4 days
Nara 1 day
Osaka 3 days

I am still procrastinating until now..not even booking hotel..looking at the JR passes and

Finally trying to start planning the facing the 1st problem d..where to stay for the first night LOL.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #382

Yeah you can reverse the order with Osaka first then Kyoto. Another option is base yourself in Osaka and make day trips to Kyoto/Nara.

Regarding late arrival at KIX - besides Haruka Limited Express, Nankai trains also run until about midnight, and if needed you’ll change trains to Kyoto. Other alternatives are direct limousine buses from Airport to Osaka/Kyoto, taking about 1/1.5hours respectively.

http://www.kate.co.jp/en/timetable/detail/KY

Thank you for the link, that is very good,. apparently I key in any destinations it will suggest the route and even $$ and duration!

Do you see other people doing this? the other alternatives with Nantai trains, and buses?

I so far reading the posts never see people having this issue sia
Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #383
Great Supremacy Member

I think
Kyoto 4 days
Nara 1 day
Osaka 3 days

If your parents are okay and there is a bus, try to catch that bus to Kyoto. But reaching there spend one night just to slp. After that continue with Kyoto, later part of the trip then at Osaka until departure. You dont need one whole day for Nara..1/2 day or slightly more and you can go there easily from Osaka or even Kyoto.
Gixxerfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #384

Ah ok, if you’re travelling with your parents then don’t do too ambitious itinerary, there’s lots of walking around for temples and shrines. Leave some time for traditional experiences like tea ceremony (Uji is a nice side trip from Kyoto), kabuki/Noh, geisha/maiko performance if lucky, or craft classes if inclined. Spending about half the time each in Kyoto and Osaka is about right, consider some traditional accommodation ryokan, onsen resort or minshuku for the experience. Can consider Kinosaki, Arima for example.

If purely Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, there’s no need for JR pass, just a regular Icoca/Suica/Pasmo will do. Passes only make sense if you make a longer trip, eg Kinosaki/Arima, Himeji, etc.

No point doing airport hotel - just go straight to destination and maybe sleep in a bit longer until ready to start the next day.

Kyoto accommodation locations: https://nerdnomads.com/where-to-stay-in-kyoto

Hi thanks for replying. Is that so?
So far what i found online is better dont take the risk.
Either stay one night near airport (i check the first cabin in the airport so freaking expensive T__T)

Or go Kyoto by bus, or take train (but not the Haruka)

My travelling mates = parents..so may want to do everything slowly.
I am thinking to take bus to Kyoto..
Usually which area is better to stay at Kyoto?
Will do some research while all the gurusss willing to reply.

Last edited by cqwrish; 12-09-2019 at 10:58 PM..
cqwrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #385

Yeah JR and Nankai are competing for the same route, Nankai is cheaper and more convenient for Osaka/Namba unless you already have JR pass or Haruka discount tickets. JR has the advantage of easy connection to JR network, Shinkansen of course, but within the city, private lines dominate.

Thank you for the link, that is very good,. apparently I key in any destinations it will suggest the route and even $$ and duration!

Do you see other people doing this? the other alternatives with Nantai trains, and buses?

I so far reading the posts never see people having this issue sia
cqwrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #386
Master Member

Hi, I will be heading to Tokyo from end Oct to early nov, any chance of catching autumn leaves? How's the weather like?
twinklingstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 12:50 AM   #387
Master Member

recently on my trip back to kansai, I took the dreaded 9.30pm SQ flight. I actually got out of custom by 10.05pm and there was actually sufficient time to rush for the 10.16pm Haruka. I have a checked-in luggage and this was a weekday evening flight. I cleared custom very fast since I live here but the most time wasting part is actually waiting for the luggage.

however for people who needs go change JR Pass and whatnot, you might not make it.

Last edited by kifo; 13-09-2019 at 12:53 AM..
kifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #388
Supremacy Member

Way too risky and there might be unexpected delays / unforseen corcumstances

For sure i wouldnt want to worry abt something like tt when i am on holiday

recently on my trip back to kansai, I took the dreaded 9.30pm SQ flight. I actually got out of custom by 10.05pm and there was actually sufficient time to rush for the 10.16pm Haruka. I have a checked-in luggage and this was a weekday evening flight. I cleared custom very fast since I live here but the most time wasting part is actually waiting for the luggage.

however for people who needs go change JR Pass and whatnot, you might not make it.
Old 13-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #389
Supremacy Member

According to the 1st forecast here, seems ur dates still early for koyo...

Hi, I will be heading to Tokyo from end Oct to early nov, any chance of catching autumn leaves? How's the weather like?
Old 13-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #390
Supremacy Member

We can wait for 2nd forecast to be announce but imo the dates wont differ much from the 1st forecast
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.