Japan Autumn 2019

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Should I do Niigata as a day trip or stay in Niigata?

Am planning Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko Park, Takada Park and Yuzawa-Kogen.

Likely to go to Yuzawa-Kogen from Nagano.

Have plans to stay in Nagano with day trips to the Jigokudani Monkey Park, Karuizawa and Iiyama.

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
on the contrary i think eating hotel breakfast is a waste of money (+calories) and time.

isnt it killing two birds with one stone if you have breakfast at the places you're intending to go? eg i think you'd have better and fresher options in kuromon market then any hotel AND can cross off visiting kuromon.

Besides the Kuromon market, there's some good choices at the various convenience marts too! Can't imagine 7 mornings eat the same s̶h̶!̶t̶ at the hotel.

Last edited:

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Onigiri or bread also fine. I did that when I stayed in hostel in my last trip. Even brought my own Milo satchets. :s13:

In Japan and South Korea, I always choose a hotel where they have a coffee machine at the lobby. Saves my parents the hassle to pack their instant coffee and to boil water!

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah but go holiday leh...

Not everyone willing to budget until this extent isnt it? Should enjoy urself mah

Actually their cup noodles are very tasty. It's not the ones that you can find locally here. Some popular ramen chains like Afuri also have cup noodles that you can buy off the shelf. You can try sandwiches also which are much better than here.

GetaBlue

Master Member
Reaction score
i actually had almost all by breakfast at convenience shops in the morning, never get bored of egg sandwich and a coffee flav milk before i start my trip

japan combi is always my first and last stop of the day... :)

thwysg

Reaction score
Should I do Niigata as a day trip or stay in Niigata?

Am planning Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko Park, Takada Park and Yuzawa-Kogen.

Likely to go to Yuzawa-Kogen from Nagano.

Have plans to stay in Nagano with day trips to the Jigokudani Monkey Park, Karuizawa and Iiyama.

For me, I choose to stay. No need to rush. Plus with elderly, take it nice and slow.

thwysg

Reaction score
In Japan and South Korea, I always choose a hotel where they have a coffee machine at the lobby. Saves my parents the hassle to pack their instant coffee and to boil water!

Oh. We usually would try hotel breakfast at least once and the rest of the days outside. If on my own, it depends. Sometimes I eat out, sometimes I would buy bread from bakeries to eat for the next morning. The onigiri and sandwiches from the convenience stores are quite yummy.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i actually had almost all by breakfast at convenience shops in the morning, never get bored of egg sandwich and a coffee flav milk before i start my trip

Same! Love their combini food and coffee to bits. Their 7-11 freshly brewed latte is just as nice as SG starbucks' latte (no kidding). These combinis are also nice warm pitstops after walking in extremely cold and windy weather.

apeape

Reaction score
oh ya forgot about their konbinis! I almost always had the egg onigiri or the NewDays prawn sandwiches. Awesome! came back 5kg heavier HAHA

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah but go holiday leh...

Not everyone willing to budget until this extent isnt it? Should enjoy urself mah
The convenience store sandwiches and other stuff are quite yummy. Not lousy at all. You should definitely check out the variety they offer and much cheaper than adding breakfast rate to your hotel. I super love the oden too.

If don't want waste time in the morning or wanna wake up a bit later, buy the night before, keep in hotel fridge and next morning eat on the train.

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually their cup noodles are very tasty. It's not the ones that you can find locally here. Some popular ramen chains like Afuri also have cup noodles that you can buy off the shelf. You can try sandwiches also which are much better than here.

Same! Love their combini food and coffee to bits. Their 7-11 freshly brewed latte is just as nice as SG starbucks' latte (no kidding). These combinis are also nice warm pitstops after walking in extremely cold and windy weather.

The convenience store sandwiches and other stuff are quite yummy. Not lousy at all. You should definitely check out the variety they offer and much cheaper than adding breakfast rate to your hotel. I super love the oden too.

If don't want waste time in the morning or wanna wake up a bit later, buy the night before, keep in hotel fridge and next morning eat on the train.

Thank you for all the recommendations! Will skip the hotel breakfast then and look for other breakfast

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.