Japan food thread

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
heyyyyyyyyy !

with all the attention given to food , i seriously think food should be given a thread of its own.
afterall, eating is singapore's national pastime and japanese food is generally really good. hard to find a sub par restaurant

here's my contribution to start things off.

the best sushi in the world. well maybe not in terms of taste, maybe even texture (but i think it'd be hard to dispute that) but in freshness (unless u eat it straight away after catching it) its definitely the best.

introducing, SUSHI FROM TSUKIJI !

before you even eat. u must queue. its almost like a japanese national pastime. queuing. queue at train stations, queue at tokyo disneyland, queues everywhere. just a little reminder every now and then that japan is still the most densely populated country in the world.

queuing at tsukiji
2v3smqe.jpg

look at the menu while queuing

2akjipu.jpg

step one : getting super fresh tuna fresh from the auctions.

10crrs0.jpg

step two : cutting the super fresh tuna. i am not too sure of the name for it but i think he's cutting the maguro (fatty part of tuna)

step 3 : make sushi

step 4 : enjoy the sushi.

oh1fdg.jpg

Last edited:

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
wa.. i always cannot find this restaurant leh.. how to find this shop? Always have to eat another one.. can tell me directions . Thanks a bunch!:)

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
wa.. i always cannot find this restaurant leh.. how to find this shop? Always have to eat another one.. can tell me directions . Thanks a bunch!:)

eh ? i really really dont know.

all i know its in tsukiji and the queue isnt that long. my buddies and me wandered in via tokyo metro subway line (ginza line i think) then we wandered into tsukiji and looked around and we picked this.

DarthKool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hehe since we are on sushi, i think otaru is a fantastic place to eat sashimi. there is this small street just on the left of the otaru station filled with fish stalls. the meat is freshly caught and the scallop you see in the photo is still moving in the bowl :D you can also select the crab or any other meat outside and they will prepare for you.

otaruchirashi.jpg

takeda.jpg

panDaz

Reaction score
wow!~ makes me hungry. the sashimi and sushi looks sooo fresh and delicious!~ i wanna go try too.

anyone tried having dinner at onsen ryokans? I love how they serve the food there. This was taken at senami onsen ryokan at niigata. Really nice place, people were so friendly! I tried this special asahi beer which was made locally.

n774867937_183944_365.jpg

Onsen dinner set

DSC02814.jpg

Ice melted a bit cos i was late for dinner
n774867937_183984_884.jpg

Crab!~
n774867937_183991_2683.jpg

Loved it. I wanna go onsens again!

Last edited:

panDaz

Reaction score
Melon so sweet, every bite feels like you are having a sore throat, the sweetness burns!

n774867937_187152_9761.jpg

fox1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everything looks.. very.. e x p e n s i v e. I spend about 300yen for dinner only. Usually.

panDaz

Reaction score
ehh.. share some tips leh.. i going to Japan soon for a year, wanna save as much as possible.. how u spend only 300yen?

DarthKool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everything looks.. very.. e x p e n s i v e. I spend about 300yen for dinner only. Usually.

wah how you do it one ... i go conbini buy bento also exceed 300 liao :s22: go japan must enjoy mah.. if not the trip wasted

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
This is the most famous shop there ! Da shou shi .:s12:

eh ? i really really dont know.

all i know its in tsukiji and the queue isnt that long. my buddies and me wandered in via tokyo metro subway line (ginza line i think) then we wandered into tsukiji and looked around and we picked this.

samshio

Reaction score
The more famous sushi places in Tsukiji are Edogin and Sushi Dai, but the usually are quite crowded. However, the other restuarants are not too bad either so there really is no loss if you try other restaurants besides the 2 above.

======================

For the best tonkatsu places ...

Tonki at Meguro

or

Maison at Aoyama or various other branches (http://mai-sen.com/shop/h_shop.html)

http://mai-sen.com/

go to the maisen website, sure to make yr mouth water

There's a Maisen in
Tokyo: in Daimaru department store which is at JR Tokyo station.
Shibuya: in Tokyu Toyoko department store which is at JR Shibuya station.

fox1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah how you do it one ... i go conbini buy bento also exceed 300 liao :s22: go japan must enjoy mah.. if not the trip wasted

Ah... I wait for 30% or 1/2 price lor. I am staying in Japan. You also?

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
> 300 yen food = curry rice !

i just LOOOVE japanese curry rice. totally unlike anything else in the world. psuedo fusion food ? anyway. its just simply fabulous over there. its amazing how with variation in just curry and ingredients, u can come up with a 20 dish ++ menu of food. wonderful.

when i was there for cherry blossom season earlier this year, all the beef bowl chain shoppes were having a price slugging war.

yoshinoya big bowl was something like 350 yen. the others were like 290 yen , 200 +. their big bowl is really big.

i like the big bowl beef then u order a raw egg separately and put the raw egg on the beef bowl to cool the food down. nice too. absolutely fantastic.

eating at singapore yoshinoya and japanese yoshinoya is a TOTALLY different experience all together.

germz

Reaction score
Yeah! Yoshinoya is different from Singapore. I didnt see chicken there! MOS burger is more or less the same. I tried the curry rice in Japan, somehow I feel it taste like those curry sold in Japanese food stalls

fox1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
next time anyone in japan, try eating in one of those femiresu (family restaurant)

eg saizeriya, gusto, skylark, jonathans

mroneder

Reaction score

feryl

Reaction score

feryl

Reaction score
> 300 yen food = curry rice !

i just LOOOVE japanese curry rice. totally unlike anything else in the world. psuedo fusion food ? anyway. its just simply fabulous over there. its amazing how with variation in just curry and ingredients, u can come up with a 20 dish ++ menu of food. wonderful.

when i was there for cherry blossom season earlier this year, all the beef bowl chain shoppes were having a price slugging war.

yoshinoya big bowl was something like 350 yen. the others were like 290 yen , 200 +. their big bowl is really big.

i like the big bowl beef then u order a raw egg separately and put the raw egg on the beef bowl to cool the food down. nice too. absolutely fantastic.

eating at singapore yoshinoya and japanese yoshinoya is a TOTALLY different experience all together.

Wah, don't get me started on Japanese eggs, and milk. It is a hallmark of a healthy country that gets its basic staples done so right. Japanese eggs are simply not born of the chickens we know. There is no stench, the yolk and whites are consistent, and they actually taste sweet! One of the simplest dishes I loved in Japan was just raw egg mixed into rice - something that i will never consider doing with singaporean eggs! I remember staring strangely at the waitress the first time i was presented with a raw egg next to my rice. Once i understood what to do with it, it was love to the end. I remember staying in a hotel that served very raw looking (and VERY yellow) scrambled eggs. the first mouthful was love, the second mouthful is marriage and by the third one, we were looking at grandchildren.

sweet_vanilla

Reaction score
Wah, don't get me started on Japanese eggs, and milk. It is a hallmark of a healthy country that gets its basic staples done so right. Japanese eggs are simply not born of the chickens we know. There is no stench, the yolk and whites are consistent, and they actually taste sweet! One of the simplest dishes I loved in Japan was just raw egg mixed into rice - something that i will never consider doing with singaporean eggs! I remember staring strangely at the waitress the first time i was presented with a raw egg next to my rice. Once i understood what to do with it, it was love to the end. I remember staying in a hotel that served very raw looking (and VERY yellow) scrambled eggs. the first mouthful was love, the second mouthful is marriage and by the third one, we were looking at grandchildren.
Hm...i tried the raw egg with rice (singapore eggs), tasted okie to me. just need to add alittle light sauce will do. [sorry if this is out of topic]

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.