Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

M1 Data Passport

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

M1 Data Passport

Hi,

Just to share that M1 has launched a new service call Data Passport. For $10/mth and a $2 activation fee, you can use your M1 monthly data in Japan. They are using SoftBank in Japan as the service provider.

This definitely helps me. I only have to spend $12 instead of paying a lot to rent mifi devices.

More information here: https://www.m1.com.sg/datapassport

Last edited by twosix; 28-07-2015 at 04:05 PM..
twosix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Master Member

I saw the ad as well. Has anyone experienced it in terms of speed and reliability? Not sure if there are additional costs to cancel the subscription once you're back to SG.
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

I saw the ad as well. Has anyone experienced it in terms of speed and reliability? Not sure if there are additional costs to cancel the subscription once you're back to SG.
You can check the FAQ here: https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/FAQ/R...g#Datapassport

Seems like no costs to cancel the service.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Master Member

It might seem like I'm talking **** about m1 but the truth is SoftBank has horrible data networks.

I lived in Hokkaido from 2010 to 2011. Had a iPhone with flat rate data plan. In residential areas usually no problems but in crowded urban areas you can pretty much forget about making a call over data.

Whatsapp is fine and basic surfing is OK. But loading videos and streaming music is next to impossible usually.

Even with LTE and all the mass migration of users to Docomo and AU now that iphones are available carrier free, doubt the situation has improved much.

Happy to be proven wrong though. Can start a m1 Miffy service if anyone wants.
Old 28-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

It might seem like I'm talking **** about m1 but the truth is SoftBank has horrible data networks.

I lived in Hokkaido from 2010 to 2011. Had a iPhone with flat rate data plan. In residential areas usually no problems but in crowded urban areas you can pretty much forget about making a call over data.

Whatsapp is fine and basic surfing is OK. But loading videos and streaming music is next to impossible usually.

Even with LTE and all the mass migration of users to Docomo and AU now that iphones are available carrier free, doubt the situation has improved much.

Happy to be proven wrong though. Can start a m1 Miffy service if anyone wants.
Thanks for the inputs. I think as visitors, we need data to get locations and the internet for information and to message with family and friends. If I can do these stuff, I'm happy. For videos and music, I'll do that back in the hotel using the hotel's wifi.

I have a 3GB monthly plan. So spending $12 for 3GB plan in Japan is a good deal to me.
Old 29-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Master Member

Thanks for the inputs. I think as visitors, we need data to get locations and the internet for information and to message with family and friends. If I can do these stuff, I'm happy. For videos and music, I'll do that back in the hotel using the hotel's wifi.

I have a 3GB monthly plan. So spending $12 for 3GB plan in Japan is a good deal to me.
makes sense. dont doubt that. Guess mifi would make sense for those on group travels.

e.g 3-4 people on m1 data passport would be about 30-40 for a week and they would still have to consume their own data allowance from singapore.
Old 30-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just check with my jap friend. And he say the softbank data network is good in Tokyo

Last edited by angcsbenny; 30-07-2015 at 10:08 AM..
angcsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Master Member

No harm trying. If it's very bad can always pop by BIC for their data card.
Old 30-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

the new service makes sense for frequent travelers (at least > 3 or more overseas trip per annual) as these trips help to even out the monthly fee which adds up to SGD122 pa.

otherwise for people who travels only once or twice a year, you'll be better off getting a local data sim. alternatively, apply and cancel the data passport service on a per trip basis.
dlrowehtleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

I tried in JB, it works for few minutes and then gone...
To me it is a c**p, CS also refuse to cancel the charge.
Think about what can happen before use the service
iwirawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Using in Tokyo and saitama since first Oct. Works well. Faster and better signal than sg

Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Using in Tokyo and saitama since first Oct. Works well. Faster and better signal than sg
Used ard sapporo region, no issues here. Remember to cancel after trip.......
Old 10-10-2015, 04:24 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Used ard sapporo region, no issues here. Remember to cancel after trip.......
Thanks for the reminder. Already added to my calendar

Old 10-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Master Member

Are you able to tether with it? How's the performance for checking emails and sending photos?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Are you able to tether with it? How's the performance for checking emails and sending photos?
for me not bad, at least sg speed...........
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.