My Tokyo Nom Nom Thread

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Japan Nom Nom Thread

Since there's already tons of threads & posts on various travelling related topics, i thought i'll do up a nom nom thread

From my most recent trip to tokyo, as previous trips are all videos taken hence unable to post it here

3 of my MUST EAT snacks whenever i'm in tokyo -

This fried chicken is kinda special, as i've never had anything like it. It's skinless chicken deep fried without much batter BUT it's still crunchy!! i have no idea how they did it.

I think they have a few stores thru out tokyo, but the one i go to is near the Tokyo skytree along the road going towards the store selling Skytree Don

i2sFVIZl.jpg

this...... is the most heavenly cream bun i'll ever have in my life.... must eat .. they have few outlets. One of it at JR Shinagawa but this one i got is from JR Akihabara

80SoW1Jl.jpg

etwamnZl.jpg

Lastly... it's this meat croquette over at Asakusa (near sensoji). I have no idea why but i find it extremely tasty....
The one beside it wasn't there last year, iirc. They are selling those soft curry bun that uses kobe/black beef. But i find it too salty to my liking

M6IeJjql.jpg

7drUw1rl.jpg

If you're thinking of having Mac, i suggest trying First Kitchen..... Wa.... the BEB (bacon egg burger) is really nice. They use those soft buns (similar to mac fillets') and the sauce is not too salty. However their mentaiko isn't that fantastic though, i've tasted better.

IsKYeoal.jpg

Last edited:

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Stick & Spoons (no english menu)

Let me just say that the meat actually felt like it melted when i took my first bite. Seriously...... it really did....

They have set meal which comes with salad & drinks but i opted to have rice instead.... the sauce goes very very well with the rice...

Located at Ueno area ( a small street beside ameyokocho )

1NySJwkl.jpg

zwisIzel.jpg

FLPOa1Yl.jpg

Mentekiya which is already much talked about... same standard ( and of cuz same length of queue :s13: ) - like the ramen, do not like the queue but well, was there for another reason --- the Kitkat concept store

2wha9Xsl.jpg

Blacows, which serves burger with patties using 100% Japanese Black Wagyu.
My verdict - the bun 9/10 , sauce 8/10 and the beef 8/10 (cuz their beef can't beat the one i had at Stick & Spoon)

They also have a counter over at Tokyo Station Daimaru food hall now

4bbQjhyl.jpg

n9laoHRl.jpg

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
no melon bun ?

:s13:

:s13::s13::s13:

I've thought to myself, a lot, why oh why there's a limit to how much food i can down in a day

Oh and to satisfy any crab cravings would be @ the usual Douraku ( LUNCH IS MUCH CHEAPER)

MJoE37Tl.jpg

As i was wondering the streets at night, i came across this restaurant selling handmade udon. Not really crowded even though it's dinner time, BUT i am really glad i gave it a try.

It's self service style, where u choose the type of udon you want (between 250-480 ) then you can move along the counter to pick up various tempura they have laid down buffet style......

Wa..... really, 3 words to describe the udon - Jin Ho Chiak
The tempura - is so so but still a commendable 7/10

PLUS it's kinda cheap! The receipt you saw is for 2 bowls of udon plus that plate of tempura which includes 2 ebi
5LJXzIzl.jpg

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
I dug up some links to help others reading this:

1) Kin no tori kara

2) Hattendo

3) Asakusa Menchi

4) First Kitchen

Nice!!! you're very resourceful :s12:

Let me add some links to a few places really worth the calories, but no pics since most of mine are videos

Kurori Ramen (i give it the same rating as fuunji & Mentakiya) - nearest station is Ichigaya

Minoya restaurant which serves sakura **** (horse meat) Nearest station is Morishita Station which is just a short walk, there's a takoyaki stall just at the cross junction of the row it's situated at

http://www.tokyofoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Minoya-****.jpg
4166053549_7033ab80c7_m.jpg

Everyone do share the nom nom you've had. While i was there last week, came across 2 "pasar malam"

Y3yIJMml.jpg

This is actually streak of bacon (beef/pork) wrap around rice on a stick
uaTBKs1l.jpg

4ZvAhHil.jpg

Last edited:

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
For crab, personally I prefer Kani honke over Kani doraku.
Esp Kani Honke's crab porridge and crab croquettes.
But then for Kani Doraku, I liked their Kani Karaage.

And I agree with Crexzz, their lunch set menus are cheaper than dinner set menus.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so shiok to read all these food thread in the morning:D

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My aunt told me about some ramen in Asakusa that uses fish stock instead of traditional pork bone stock. Anybody tried it before?

Have already shortlisted a few places to try in Tokyo when I visit in March.

1) Midori sushi (highly recommended by my relatives)
2) Ichiran ramen (everybody seems to rate this very highly)
3) fresh cream bun from family mart/lawson.
4) Gyukaku (for about $40, 90 minutes buffet style compared to the rape price here)

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Midori sushi i highly recommend u go their main shop for their monday buffet unless u are small eater

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
Good theead best also link the address and cum pictures so ppls can use it for reference too

kunoichi

Reaction score
Maguro Ichiba for cheap and yummy rice bowls

306493_234279659958550_1607883_n.jpg

Crexzz, i had the same meat croquette before too... it's this shop correct?

316754_234280363291813_876467990_n.jpg

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
For crab, personally I prefer Kani honke over Kani doraku.
Esp Kani Honke's crab porridge and crab croquettes.
But then for Kani Doraku, I liked their Kani Karaage.

And I agree with Crexzz, their lunch set menus are cheaper than dinner set menus.

Is honke available in tokyo? would love to try it

Actually, for most jap restaurant, lunch would be cheaper. Hence i'll always try to plan these more expensive feeds on lunch BUT, i realised that not all these restaurant serve lunch . :(

I had wanted to try Tora Fugu, went there during lunch time and realised it's only open for dinner....... My bad on assuming it'll be serving lunch & dinner :(

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
My aunt told me about some ramen in Asakusa that uses fish stock instead of traditional pork bone stock. Anybody tried it before?

Not sure about the fish stock one, but i tried Yoroiya which is sittuated near the bakery at Asakusa. Shio base plus lots of bamboo shoots & dried prawns

imho just so so only

Ht60Rxll.jpg

6WRQCUMl.jpg

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.