HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Offpeak Season in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #1

Offpeak Season in Japan

Oh ok...I know I may be flamed for this but I just can't seem to define my search criteria good enuf to dig out whether this was asked b4 already... but here goes...

Can someone advise when are the offpeak seasons to visit Japan?

I've enquired with a few hotels in Tokyo and told that Oct-Nov is the peak season so rooms are tight and prices are high. Dec - Feb doesn't seem to be a good time as I perceive the days to be very short as dusk will set by 4pm+.

Am trying to find a not so peak season with fine weather for visiting Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto.

Any advice pls?

Tks!
akiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Upz...

Any advice?
Old 18-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #3

it is quite hard to define off peak because it differs across states too...

generally, avoid the golden week, obon, school holidays and weeks with festivals (which are state-specific). Mt Fuji doesn't have off-peak, the minute climbing season starts, it's peak period until the season ends (altho i've been told the last few days are less insane). Then there is the hanami, sakura season, where nice places are naturally going to be packed, as well as koyo season.

as a rule of thumb, the dead of winter, which is mid jan is very off-peak, esp for the top half of japan (but this would be opposite for the bottom half).

if you don't fancy the chilling cold, late november (just before SG holidays) is also a good time to go. Hotel rates are probably off-peak, there are transport and food promos, weather is pleasant but not freezing.

If you are thinking off peak, common sense would be a good guide - i.e. go where people don't want to go, and/or when they would not want to go.
But in rest from pain.[/SIZE]
feryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Master Member

it is quite hard to define off peak because it differs across states too...

generally, avoid the golden week, obon, school holidays and weeks with festivals (which are state-specific). Mt Fuji doesn't have off-peak, the minute climbing season starts, it's peak period until the season ends (altho i've been told the last few days are less insane). Then there is the hanami, sakura season, where nice places are naturally going to be packed, as well as koyo season.

as a rule of thumb, the dead of winter, which is mid jan is very off-peak, esp for the top half of japan (but this would be opposite for the bottom half).
fascinating. can elaborate more about the koyo season bro ? never heard of it.

hmm, i m still thinking of going to okinawa during late dec/early jan. is the emperor's birthday a very big event there as well ?
stars87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

hmm, i m still thinking of going to okinawa during late dec/early jan. is the emperor's birthday a very big event there as well ?
紅葉 red leaves - autumn, when leaves turn red
Old 18-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #6

koyo is just their autumn 'red-leaf viewing' season. It's something like sakura viewing but less rambunctious (in fact, it's downright meditative) and mostly appeals to japanese only; maybe coz there isn't all that madcap drinking, dancing and singing associated with it.

Koyo occurs mostly in Kanto/Kansai region, and is most prominent on particular hillside forests and specially planted boulevards from mid-Oct to late-Nov. It is rather underwhelming and I don't really know the full cultural significance of it. What i do know is that regions famous for koyo can get rather crowded during the season and travel can get expensive due to price increases.

As for the emperor's bday... as far as i know it's not a very big deal, it's not like our national day where the country will hold explosive celebrations everywhere, splashing government propaganda and dubious looking posters over every lamp-post and pillar. I think most of the regional festivals generate more buzz... that said, it's still a holiday so shinkansen will be crowded if you didn't get seat reservations.
Old 27-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info =)

Still havn't decided when is the best time to go yet. Quite budget la...tat's the factor.

Does anyone know how's the weather lik in May, Jun & Jul. Read that Jun & Jul are the rainy season and seems to rain quite a LOT... sounds kinda dampening le..hahah
Old 29-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info =)

Still havn't decided when is the best time to go yet. Quite budget la...tat's the factor.

Does anyone know how's the weather lik in May, Jun & Jul. Read that Jun & Jul are the rainy season and seems to rain quite a LOT... sounds kinda dampening le..hahah
Again depends on where you are going

For Jun Jul, Tokyo is very hot and wet.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.