Okinawa 7 days

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey all need some help. Going to okinawa for 7 days during feb, would like to know if splitting my stay 3 nights in chatan and 4 nights is naha is a good choice? when in chatan i will cover the north and central attractions. will also be most likely renting a car there. any advice is appreciated thanks

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chatan seems quite near to naha. If u want to explore north, maybe stay nago instead?

Bowowmiao

Reaction score
Yes agree with evilerniex. Chatan is still near to Naha.

Besides Nago (north), can consider Onna (central).

Depends on your trip goals too. Nago will be nearer Churaumi aquarium.

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How would a typical itinerary for non-driving holiday there be like?

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh ok thanks for your advice, luckily my chatan stay is free cancellation, i didnt want to stay nago and wanted somewhere central to explore the central and northern areas. will have a look at accommodations for onna. btw would renting a car for my naha part of the trip be a wise choice?

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just came back after spending 7d6n there. stayed at yomitan for 2 nights and naha for 4 nights.

yomitan is about 30mins north of chatan. used it as a base to visit american village, cape manzamo, churaumi aquarium and kouri island.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just came back after spending 7d6n there. stayed at yomitan for 2 nights and naha for 4 nights.

yomitan is about 30mins north of chatan. used it as a base to visit american village, cape manzamo, churaumi aquarium and kouri island.
Can do free and easy if not driving?

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Strongly advise driving in Okinawa. It is extremely easy and not expensive if you rent early. I remember we paid less than $100 a day for a 1.5L axio or something with full collision waiver and GPS and child seats, etc. Mainly highway driving and some suburban. Timing also a lot more flexible.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh ok thanks for your advice, luckily my chatan stay is free cancellation, i didnt want to stay nago and wanted somewhere central to explore the central and northern areas. will have a look at accommodations for onna. btw would renting a car for my naha part of the trip be a wise choice?
Any reason for not wanting to stay in nago? If u are planning to go north to hiji waterfall and cape hedo, it will be advisable to stay nago. Coz if u stay central, it is going to be a long drive up.

For naha, dun have to drive if visiting city areas coz can just take train

Bowowmiao

Reaction score

We kept the rental car when we were based in Naha. For our side trips to Shujiro Castle and Okinawa World (with limestone cave). Also drove to Aeon Naha Mall and to an A&W, and some playground for the kids to play at.

And then on the way to airport for our flight home, we stopped by Ashibinaa outlet mall.

We stayed near Kokusai Street and Makishi public market, so we didn’t have to drive out.

Bowowmiao

Reaction score

So, depends on where u wanna visit. If you stay at Nago, you are nearer Churaumi Aqaurium so it means no need to wake early for a road trip. Nago area also has some places that evilerniex mentioned.

For us, we stayed at Onna area.
So woke earlier to make the 1hr15m drive up to Churaumi.
Then on the way back to Onna, we visited Orion Brewery (best to make booking), the irreverent Pineapple Park hahaha, table BBQ dinner.

Around Onna area (or if you are traveling Enroute past the area), there are attactions such as Cape Manzamo, Glass Bottomed Boat (Kariyushi Beach) (20min boat ride). And a nice eating place (Ryupin onna No Eki, also known as Onna no eki or Onna Station). There are a number of food stalls and Souvenir shops, a bakery/cafe, and a popular fruit ice stall.

Last edited:

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot everybody. One last question is if hotel/ apartment does not provide parking how expensive would parking be there for naha. Looking to rent from ots.

Bowowmiao

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot everybody. One last question is if hotel/ apartment does not provide parking how expensive would parking be there for naha. Looking to rent from ots.

Paiseh not sure about that. We stayed at a hotel in Naha that had parking space but chargeable at 1500yen per day. Quite intriguing cos it’s the car-lift system and we watched the car-lift mechanism “roll n wrap” our car away (got parking attendant to do this).

One more thing abt driving in Okinawa. Most of the parking at attractions as you drive away from the city is free. And I would say easy to find and spacious.
But for Shujiro castle there’s a parking fee.

General experience is that it is easy to navigate. The GPS comes in English language (ask them to help u set), and you key in location based on phone numbers. Our first time driving in Japan then. Thought the Japanese generally drive carefully and abide by traffic rules but when we were driving in Okinawa, we did come across a few instances where they beat red light, so just be aware and careful yourself. Otherwise it was very pleasant driving around and having the flexibility of time.

Last edited:

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I rent from OTS. Problem free

For parking in naha, I paid 1800yen for overnight open air parking. My car was too big for the hotel carpark which cost 1500 yen.

I used the car for 2 days in naha, the rest of the time just walking or by yu rail. Also took taxi to airport, only about 1400yen and there were 4 of us, so the cost is about the same as taking yu rail.

Last edited:

Parmesean

Reaction score
Any recommendations for renting a car if I'm under 25 in Japan? I plan to head to Osaka with friends, and one of our ideas that floated around would be to rent a car and drive, but I stated that most car rental company would not allow people under 25 to rent a car, I know in the US, Hertz will allow me to rent, but I have to pay extra for a charge, any company in Japan that does the same?

For parking in naha, I paid 1800yen for overnight open air parking. My car was too big for the hotel carpark which cost 1500 yen.

I used the car for 2 days in naha, the rest of the time just walking or by yu rail. Also took taxi to airport, only about 1400yen and there were 4 of us, so the cost is about the same as taking yu rail.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for renting a car if I'm under 25 in Japan? I plan to head to Osaka with friends, and one of our ideas that floated around would be to rent a car and drive, but I stated that most car rental company would not allow people under 25 to rent a car, I know in the US, Hertz will allow me to rent, but I have to pay extra for a charge, any company in Japan that does the same?
Where are u planning to go? If it is just osaka, u probably dun need to drive

rayban

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also doing 8 days on april , wonder is it too much days until nothing to do

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score

Woah! Where you go park? My side near kodusai dori in Naha only cost me 600-800yen per night (12hrs). Most time the 600yen one fully booked so opt to beside car park which cost me 800yen when we reach back at night ard 9pm.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.