HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Osaka Kyoto Nara Dec 19

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Osaka Kyoto Nara Dec 19

Hi, bringing my family of 5 to Osaka/Kyoto in Dec. For the first time. Including one elderly and one 10 yr old child. Please help to advise and recommend any improvement and fine tuning. Thanks much!!!!

Day 1
Land at Kansai International Airport T1 in the evening
Buy ICOCA Card
Buy Limousine Bus Ticket to OCAT
Check-in Hotel at Namba
Dinner at Dotonbori

Day 2
Breakfast
Lunch
Shinsaibashi Shopping Street
Dinner at Dotonbori

Day 3
Take Train to Kyoto
Kyoto Imperial Palace
Lunch at Nishiki Market
Nijo Castle
Check-in Miyako Hotel Kyoto Hachijo
Dinner at Aeon Mall

Day 4
Breakfast
Fushimi Inari Shrine (Red Torii Gates)
Lunch
Kiyomizudera Temple
Yasaka Shrine
Gion Neigbourhood
Dinner

Day 5
Breakfast
Golden Pavilion Kinkakuji Temple
Sagano Romantic Train
Hozugawa Boat Ride
Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
Lunch
Kimono Forest
Dinner

Day 6
Breakfast
Kyoto Railway Museum
Lunch
Take train to Nara Park
Take train back to Osaka
Dinner

Day 7
Breakfast at Hotel
Osaka Amazing Pass Day 1
Osaka Castle
Osaka-jo Gozabune Boat ride
Osaka Castle Nishinomaru Garden
Osaka Museum of History
Lunch
Osaka Suijyo Bus (Aqua Liner)
Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden Observatory
HEP FIVE Ferris Wheel
Umeda Joypolis Wild River Arcade
Osaka Wonder Cruise (Temmabashi-Dotonbori, online reservation)
Dinner at Dotonbori (exchange ticket for Tombori River Cruise)
Tombori River Cruise

Day 8
Breakfast at Hotel
Osaka Amazing Pass Day 2
Shitennoji Temple
Osaka Tennoji Zoo/Tennoji Park
Lunch at Shinsekai
Tsutenkaku Tower
Santa Maria Cruise Ship
Tempozan Giant Ferris Wheel
Dinner at Tempozan Market
Captain Line
Osaka Prefecture Govt Sakishima Building Observatory (Cosmo Tower)

Day 9
Breakfast at Hotel
Lunch at Kuromon Ichiba Market
Owl Family Cafe
Dinner

Day 10
Breakfast at Hotel
Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan
Lunch
Dinner at Tempozan Market

Day 11
Breakfast at Hotel
Lunch
Take Limousine Bus from OCAT to Airport
Kansai International Airport T1
hocksteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

Looks ok but your Day 2/9/10 seems abit too relax?

Between Sagano Romantic Train & Hozugawa Boat Ride, i think you might only have enough time to do 1 of it.

Are you moving back to Osaka hotel on Day 6? If yes then i think Day 2 u can push it to Day 9. Do Nara day trip on Day 2 instead, so anything miss out in Kyoto u still can cover in the afternoon on Day 6.
Delardino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

Looks ok but your Day 2/9/10 seems abit too relax?

Between Sagano Romantic Train & Hozugawa Boat Ride, i think you might only have enough time to do 1 of it.

Are you moving back to Osaka hotel on Day 6? If yes then i think Day 2 u can push it to Day 9. Do Nara day trip on Day 2 instead, so anything miss out in Kyoto u still can cover in the afternoon on Day 6.
Yes Day 6 back to Osaka.Thanks for the suggestion to do Nara on Day 2 and push Day 2 itinerary to Day 9!

Last edited by hocksteo; 02-10-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #4

Early or late Dec? Thereís no boat service from 10 December onwards. Take note of the last daily boat service in winter as well.
https://www.hozugawakudari.jp/en/tickets-en

Day 7 & 8. Iím not so sure about some of the places, didnít get the pass when I was there years ago. But you have an elderly tagging along, it sure looked like you were trying to pack as many spots as possible in order to utilize the pass fully. And that doesnít sound relaxing.

Donít forget about the illumination events in Kansai. Kobe Illuminarie 2019 is on 6-15 Dec, thatís if your dates coincide.
thwysg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Thanks. 14 to 24 Dec.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

Early or late Dec? Thereís no boat service from 10 December onwards. Take note of the last daily boat service in winter as well.
https://www.hozugawakudari.jp/en/tickets-en

Day 7 & 8. Iím not so sure about some of the places, didnít get the pass when I was there years ago. But you have an elderly tagging along, it sure looked like you were trying to pack as many spots as possible in order to utilize the pass fully. And that doesnít sound relaxing.

Donít forget about the illumination events in Kansai. Kobe Illuminarie 2019 is on 6-15 Dec, thatís if your dates coincide.
Thanks. 14 to 24 Dec. Yes Day 7 and 8 might forgo some activities.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

If you're into views from tall buildings/towers, you might consider Harukas 300 when you're at Shinsekai/Tennoji area. Its the tallest building in Japan (that isn't a tower like Skytree). Nice views and spacious 2 level observatory thats chill and isn't as jammed as Tokyo Skytree. Can prob try late afternoon for day/sunset/night views at one go.

Nice big mall downstairs too.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Master Member

Although Kobe Illuminarie is nice but it's super crowded. Just be mentally prepared. Kobe is a nice town overall so you can explore other areas a bit more such as the harbor area. There's also a mini Chinatown if you're curious.

The problem with passes is that it becomes an amazing race and can be quite stressful for everyone. If you dont intend to rush, perhaps not getting the pass might be better. Leave some room for on-the-spot decisions. A bit more fun that way.

If you want to explore Nara, do so in the morning. Sun slowly sets at 4:30pm onwards and the weather will gradually get much colder.

BTW, one of the first few itinerary with no USJ lol
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

>>>Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

You sure want to explore this forest during winter?? Nice scenes though but question can tahan??
NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

Can revisit Arashiyama in the evening if youíre keen.
http://www.hanatouro.jp/e/arashiyama/index.html
thwysg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

You sure want to explore this forest during winter?? Nice scenes though but question can tahan??
Tahan simi? It has clear paths, the lightup was gorgeous in the evening during hanatouro event, yes it's cold but you should be wearing warm / windproof clothes anyway in winter.
Ruriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
Master Member

If you're in Kyoto definitely a must visit. It's not that cold during winter as the tall bamboo helps to shield you from wind.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you're in Kyoto definitely a must visit. It's not that cold during winter as the tall bamboo helps to shield you from wind.
If visit in the evening, it's definitely much colder. I had the wrong pair of gloves (just wool, not wind proof) and my friend and I had to huddle at the yard of a shop where they had a huge heater there to warm our hands, after we went through the bamboo forest during the hanatouro lightup. It was around 6.30pm I think. It was definitely cold, colder than shirakawago (even though shirakawago was snowing while I was there, and Kyoto wasn't).

I still remember the shop was run by an old couple and the wife was tending the shop while the husband was at the yard. We went over to buy some hot canned drinks from the vending machine in their yard to warm our body and hands, and the old man saw us kept holding the hot cans in our hands so he gestured for us to sit near his heater to warm ourselves up. It was so nice of him.
Ruriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Master Member

If visit in the evening, it's definitely much colder. I had the wrong pair of gloves (just wool, not wind proof) and my friend and I had to huddle at the yard of a shop where they had a huge heater there to warm our hands, after we went through the bamboo forest during the hanatouro lightup. It was around 6.30pm I think. It was definitely cold, colder than shirakawago (even though shirakawago was snowing while I was there, and Kyoto wasn't).

I still remember the shop was run by an old couple and the wife was tending the shop while the husband was at the yard. We went over to buy some hot canned drinks from the vending machine in their yard to warm our body and hands, and the old man saw us kept holding the hot cans in our hands so he gestured for us to sit near his heater to warm ourselves up. It was so nice of him.
Perhaps during my visit, the wind wasn't as strong. The bridge area was much stronger and colder. Glad to know that the hospitality is still strong there despite the tourist horde.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #15

Thank you all for your precious insights!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.