HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Osaka to Tokyo and back to Osaka

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #1

Osaka to Tokyo and back to Osaka

Hello all..

I have bought tickets to Osaka in Dec and will return in Jan to Sg..

I have more or less drafted my Itinerary but have yet to fill in the blanks.
Would appreciate if you all think there are good places to go to, when driving to Tokyo from Osaka or the way around.

Have any one spent Xmas in Japan or the New year?
I have not spent those days there so would like to know if there is any events or there's nothing much happening.

Thank you very much!

My Itinerary is as follows:

15 - Depart from Sg(2pm) to Osaka(9pm), Check into hotel near Kansai
16 - Shop around Rinku Town and collect Rental vehicle, go to strawberry picking and check in AirB&B
17 - 1 Full day for kids to take Kimino Pictures
18 - Visit Osaka Castle and Dotombori
19 - Depart to Nagoya (4hrs) (stop by areas) and check into hotel
20 - Visit Legoland and head back to hotel
21 - Depart to Shizuoka (4hrs) (stop by areas) and check into hotel
22 - Drive to Gotemba and have shopping & lunch before heading to Kamakura/Yokohama , check into hotel
23 - Drive to Tokyo, visit Shinjuku/harajuku/ check into Tokyo hotel
24 - Visit Tsukiji Market , Tokyo Tower & Asakusa (temple and Owl Cafe)
25 - Xmas in Japan, eat KFC lol. check for events
26 - Visit Palette Town/ and head to Ken's Cafe for Choco cake & to Shimokitazawa for baby castella
27 - Last night in Tokyo
28 - Head over to Gotemba area
29 - Grinpa park for snow play for kids
30 - drive over to Hamamatsu and check in
31 - Back to Osaka
1 -
2 - Drive up to Tottori (maybe stay 1 night)
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 - Drive up to Nara (maybe stay one night)
7 -
8 -
9 - Drive to Kyoto (maybe stay one night)
10 -
11 -
12 - Last day in Osaka
13 - Arrive Sg (5am)
vspecll_gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

most of the places in ur itinerary dun require driving. in fact, for city areas, driving may be a bigger hassle than taking public transport. coz of traffic jams, expensive parking fee, and problem finding a place to park.

may also be tiring to drive for the entire trip, especially since the places u are visiting are far. would suggest u drive for part of your trip, and taking public transport for other part, especially in the cities.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Master Member

If you are driving, might as well drive all the way to Tohoku, Sendai area. Plenty of snow there. But once you reach the big cities might as well take public transport.

Strawberry picking is usually in May/June so not sure if they have one in December or not.

Edit: Looks like December is the starting season https://jw-webmagazine.com/5-best-st...-5b92c5faf494/
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

most of the places in ur itinerary dun require driving. in fact, for city areas, driving may be a bigger hassle than taking public transport. coz of traffic jams, expensive parking fee, and problem finding a place to park.

may also be tiring to drive for the entire trip, especially since the places u are visiting are far. would suggest u drive for part of your trip, and taking public transport for other part, especially in the cities.
yup i agree with you.. I would like to take the Shinkansen to Tokyo from Osaka as well.
To travel to towns or places of interest would translate to spending at least $20 per day per pax, where i have a family of 4, it is equivalent to $80 per day.

Where as the cost per day for renting a vehicle is $60 and $20 per day for parking/petrol would be sufficient I suppose.

Driving although is tiring, but with 2 kids in tow, they will have naps in the car and we are able to travel to places without restrictions of the public transport.

Pros and Cons for both..

Renting a vehicle in Osaka and returning it in Tokyo is also yet another killer cost.. so I decided to rent for a month and make do with what I have.

Thank you evilerniex
Old 06-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #5

If you are driving, might as well drive all the way to Tohoku, Sendai area. Plenty of snow there. But once you reach the big cities might as well take public transport.

Strawberry picking is usually in May/June so not sure if they have one in December or not.

Edit: Looks like December is the starting season https://jw-webmagazine.com/5-best-st...-5b92c5faf494/
Haha.. you edited your post.. I have checked and the December would be the starting season so yeah not all places will have strawberry picking so I need to make reservations and to travel there.

Travelling to Tohuku/Sendai would be great but maybe not during Winter.. traffic and time would be consuming.. I reckon the temperature will probably be peak in Jan and if the snow is too severe there will be disruptions to my road trip.. snow tyres are also another cost.. although I will have chains brought along the road trip =D

The furthest i have driven up to is Nagano and I went down towards Tokyo and back to Osaka.

Yeah.. reaching big cities it good that I use the public transport but this time round not possible.

Thank you purpleberry
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.