Require JR Pass? 15 Days Trip (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hokkaido)

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Need help for my Japan trip.

I am traveling from SG > Tokyo > Osaka > Kyoto (if time allows) > Hokkaido.
Tokyo - 7 days
Osaka - 3 days (Kyoto 1 day trip)
Hokkaido - 5 days

Have bought my flights from SG > Tokyo and Hokkaido > SG.

Now, I am stuck and can't decide if I should buy JR pass or domestic flight ticket.

Plan A
Buy a 7 days JR pass to be used on 2nd to 7th day of Japan. Will be using it to travel in Tokyo, then to Osaka and Kyoto.
Then get a domestic flight ticket from Osaka to Hokkaido. At Hokkaido, will just buy the standard train ticket for travelling.

Plan B
Not getting JR pass. Will be getting domestic flight tickets from Tokyo > Osaka and Osaka > Hokkaido.
Will be buying the standard train ticket for travelling.

Please help or provide more options! TIA!

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to fly from osaka to hokkaido (stopover may be likely), just buy tokaido shinkansen ticket at early purchase discount. dun need jr pass.

otherwise, use JR pass to go osaka and then to hokkaido.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to fly from osaka to hokkaido (stopover may be likely), just buy tokaido shinkansen ticket at early purchase discount. dun need jr pass.

otherwise, use JR pass to go osaka and then to hokkaido.

Was thinking I shld jus get domestic flight from Tokyo > Osaka and Osaka > Hokkaido.
Since the 2 flight tic price is abt 250 per pax.

Then will get standard train ticket at Japan.
Should be cheaper this way ba.

Is it expensive for train ticket to go 1 day trip to Kyoto or Nara Park from Osaka?

thwysg

Reaction score
Was thinking I shld jus get domestic flight from Tokyo > Osaka and Osaka > Hokkaido.

Is it expensive for train ticket to go 1 day trip to Kyoto or Nara Park from Osaka?

Use Hyperdia to check your train fares.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You forgot to consider the cost of train tickets from New Chitose Airport to Sapporo by limited express train and from your hotel to Itami or KIX.

for your trip to kyoto or nara
It depends on which station and train company. you can always take normal train/subway to reach there. it is not expensive as JR Shinkansen.

If you station your stay at Namba, kintetsu rail pass is better as it bring you to Kyoto station (same spot as JR) and nara (nearer than JR Nara Station)

Jeanrc

Reaction score
you must see where you going in osaka, tokyo and hokkaido.
All those train fare can add up till a few hundred sgd.
Flying internally in japan also take time and $ to check in plus travel between airport to hotel etc
All this will effect if flying is more worth it or by shinkansen.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

After calculating, think it's quite worth to get domestic flight for Tokyo > Osaka then > Hokkaido.
As the time saved is quite a lot. Especially when travelling from Osaka to Hokkaido.

Then will be getting train tickets there. Do we need to get Suica card? Any benefits?

Jeanrc

Reaction score
suica card is a must, jr pass alone is not enough as there are so many different trains operate by others

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
suica card is a must, jr pass alone is not enough as there are so many different trains operate by others

any recommendation where to purchase this card?
This card act like ezlink card right? Can top up and use etc..
Few yrs back, I was getting single trip ticket while at Japan. Quite troublesome.

Jeanrc

Reaction score
Few yrs back, I was getting single trip ticket while at Japan. Quite troublesome.

ya act like our ezlink card, but they got a few version and some version can only be use at certain area only.
single trip ticket is a waste of time and brain power, have to check how much and Q and buy = =
Where to buy the card may effect what kind of card you get and in return may restrict the usage at which area.
Cant really remember which is the best type to buy, but i have like 3 different type from our few previous trip. So i think buying suica card should be the best instead of some other random card that you may get from smaller local line operator. Pasmo card may be fine too and i cant remember what card you can get in tokyo, so try asking in major train station like in the airport first.

Reaction score
Suica and icoca are the most common card. Usually I just put 10k yen inside can use quite long

Sent from Rem Is Best Waifu using GAGT

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

vending machine got.........

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need help for my Japan trip.

I am traveling from SG > Tokyo > Osaka > Kyoto (if time allows) > Hokkaido.
Tokyo - 7 days
Osaka - 3 days (Kyoto 1 day trip)
Hokkaido - 5 days

Have bought my flights from SG > Tokyo and Hokkaido > SG.

Now, I am stuck and can't decide if I should buy JR pass or domestic flight ticket.

Plan A
Buy a 7 days JR pass to be used on 2nd to 7th day of Japan. Will be using it to travel in Tokyo, then to Osaka and Kyoto.
Then get a domestic flight ticket from Osaka to Hokkaido. At Hokkaido, will just buy the standard train ticket for travelling.

Plan B
Not getting JR pass. Will be getting domestic flight tickets from Tokyo > Osaka and Osaka > Hokkaido.
Will be buying the standard train ticket for travelling.

Please help or provide more options! TIA!

if u can tahan, night bus tokyo-osaka.........

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, will be getting the Suica card when reaching Japan.
Jus curious, how to add this card into iPhone for express transit?

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, will be getting the Suica card when reaching Japan.
Jus curious, how to add this card into iPhone for express transit?

google. I read that you need to have a Japan apple account to download the app.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.