Sim card or wifi router?

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
been using Starhub happyroam for few japan trips.
IMO still the best.
3GB valid 30days for $18
enough for my 15 days trip

Yup, cheaper than M1. Used that on my last trip also. Very good and stable.

happy_bear

Reaction score
Yup, cheaper than M1. Used that on my last trip also. Very good and stable.

Sorry to up an old thread, is the connection at japan a hassle?

I have been using m1 datapassport and has been very seamless for me. So wondering if it is an hassle to operate a second sim card in the hp

GetaBlue

Master Member
Reaction score
i have friends who feedback changi wifi sometimes quite laggy in certain areas when they travel out. anyone encounter the same?

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have friends who feedback changi wifi sometimes quite laggy in certain areas when they travel out. anyone encounter the same?

nope. been pretty good e 4 times I used it in Japan.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been using m1 datapassport and has been very seamless for me. So wondering if it is an hassle to operate a second sim card in the hp
If you have dual sim phone then no hassle at all. Or even single sim phone, I mean how hard is it to switch sim cards?

The main consideration for single sim phones is whether you need to receive sms and calls from your regular SG phone number I guess. My wife and I both use dual sim phones so no need worry bout such things.

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to up an old thread, is the connection at japan a hassle?

used happyroam and ais sim2fly sim card in japan. happy roam need to manually set apn. was a hassle when i set it up the first time but ok after that. ais was pretty painless when i set it up while connected to internet. Android btw.....

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The starhub happyroam is very value for money but my nov 2017 trip, couldn't connect to the network in osaka on my first day, then mysterious managed to in the evening. From nagasaki to hakata, also same issue.

Then feb 2018, reached tokyo first few hours also couldn't and suddenly could. And i didn't do anything special before it could suddenly connect. Just stop trying and checked my phone again and it was ok. July 2018 on off in hokkaido also lost network.

happy_bear

Reaction score
The starhub happyroam is very value for money but my nov 2017 trip, couldn't connect to the network in osaka on my first day, then mysterious managed to in the evening. From nagasaki to hakata, also same issue.

Then feb 2018, reached tokyo first few hours also couldn't and suddenly could. And i didn't do anything special before it could suddenly connect. Just stop trying and checked my phone again and it was ok. July 2018 on off in hokkaido also lost network.

Seems like happyroam has mixed reviews

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've used happyroam for my last 2 JP trips and no complaints. But then again I didn't go to very far or ulu places, just Tokyo + Nagano/Niigata/Yamagata area.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

plus i used to mostly travel to asian destinations where the happyroam data plan can be used but last year went to vietnam and europe, can't use but still have to top up every 120 days to keep the card alive, so i tend to have 10-20 in my main wallet till i can utilize in one of the available countries.

Casio2010

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I'm using it for my company japan trip. Will keep all in review here once I touch down in tokyo.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be there for 10 days. Do you recommend starting happy roam or something else? I think I will use 5gb

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

kenne79

Reaction score
I use the Starhub happyroam Prepaid SIM $32 Internet on my mifi.
And also subscribe to Singtel oversea roaming 1GB for $20. Cos there times when me and wife will split up and we need to be contactable. And there are times when the happyroam do not work but my singtel work.

yamenaidepure

Reaction score
I will be there for 10 days. Do you recommend starting happy roam or something else? I think I will use 5gb

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

Recommends sim card especially if you have dual sim phone.
Bought mine from Qoo10 (Joy Telecom SG) for last year trip and have no issue at all at osaka and tokyo. THink now they sell around $35 for 8 days 4G unlimited.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sim card no such thing as unlimited 4g.. After certain GB of 4g speed is back to 3g or worse 2g speed.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try qoo10 ICC, allow u to choose 4-30 days options, with 300mb/500mb/1gb daily limit.

I got my 9D, 1gb daily limit at $22.90 nia. Can go lower with qpts and coupons.

Takagi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sim card no such thing as unlimited 4g.. After certain GB of 4g speed is back to 3g or worse 2g speed.
If u had visited taiwan before, can get sim card with unlimited 4G at the airport when u arrived

And it is only less than S$20 for 5 days, use until song

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If u had visited taiwan before, can get sim card with unlimited 4G at the airport when u arrived

And it is only less than S$20 for 5 days, use until song

I think he meant there's no unlimited 4g sim card for Japan.

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any recommendation for wifi egg?

changi one seems to be the cheapest at $4/day...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.