Sim card or wifi router?

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone can advice?
Is it better to buy a prepaid sim card in Japan or rent a wifi router instead?
Length of trip is 12 days and will be travelling solo.
And also considering that I'll be outside and on the move most of the time (more than 10 hours).

My previous experience when using wifi router in other countries is that it needs constant charging and the battery ran out quite fast.

If sim card. Any particular ones to recommend? I will require minimum 12 days of usage.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have good experience with starhub happyroam, 2.4GB for 30days at $15

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the Starhub prepaid SIM better than the Yokoso SIM?

It's comparable I would say but then again, I dont do lots of heavy browsing while on holiday. If you intend to stay in a hotel, there's a free-to-use handy phone that some hotels are offering with free data and calls.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong. Lets say I buy a Happy Travel SIM – $32 that comes with FREE 10-day 2GB data. If I want to extend the days or data, I can use the $32 credit to buy a data plan right?

And if I buy a data plan, will it add on to the free 10-day 2GB data or override it?

kitkat2

Reaction score
many places offer discounts for topups. better to get the cheapest $8 happy card and then topup till you have sufficient credit to purchase the right amount of data.

e.g. a new $8 happy card + $10 topup can buy you 3.6gb of data.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong. Lets say I buy a Happy Travel SIM – $32 that comes with FREE 10-day 2GB data. If I want to extend the days or data, I can use the $32 credit to buy a data plan right?

And if I buy a data plan, will it add on to the free 10-day 2GB data or override it?

the free 10-day 2GB is local data if didn't recall wrongly. so says you travelling from 25 Jan, buy the card at least 10 days earlier and activate it so that you can use the 2GB for 10 days in SG.

separately, the $32 credits are used to buy roaming data. 30-Day 3.6GB costs $20, so you have $12 remaining to buy more data if you need e.g. another 1 GB for either 3 or 7 days (for $5 or $7 respectively).

remaining credits is valid for 6 mths from date of activation to use on future trips by topping up sufficient amount.

some ppl feel the $15 one is slightly more worthwhile as you get $18 credit. i think you can top up a few dollars more to get the 30-Day3.6GB, as some ppl mentioned the remaining value can't be $0, so can't top up exactly $2. i'm not too sure on this.

haha hope i'm correct. i bought the $15 card and the 2.4GB was sufficient for my 12 days trip.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
the free 10-day 2GB is local data if didn't recall wrongly. so says you travelling from 25 Jan, buy the card at least 10 days earlier and activate it so that you can use the 2GB for 10 days in SG.

separately, the $32 credits are used to buy roaming data. 30-Day 3.6GB costs $20, so you have $12 remaining to buy more data if you need e.g. another 1 GB for either 3 or 7 days (for $5 or $7 respectively).

remaining credits is valid for 6 mths from date of activation to use on future trips by topping up sufficient amount.

some ppl feel the $15 one is slightly more worthwhile as you get $18 credit. i think you can top up a few dollars more to get the 30-Day3.6GB, as some ppl mentioned the remaining value can't be $0, so can't top up exactly $2. i'm not too sure on this.

haha hope i'm correct. i bought the $15 card and the 2.4GB was sufficient for my 12 days trip.

The free 10 days 2gb is Roaming data. Yeah the $15 card can save more money I think. I'm also going on 12 days trip.

kitkat2

Reaction score

starhub happy with zero balance worked for me in japan and hk.

$8 card + $10 topup with 40% discount costs $14 in total and still gives you 3.6gb.

Last edited:

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
There is also the Datatravel plan for existing starhub postpaid users.
2GB for $15 over 30 days and 3GB for $20 over 30 days
But data is less than their prepaid happy roam plan

Kiddream

Master Member
Reaction score
Do I need to activate the SIM card in Singapore first? Or can do it overseas?

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Activate here - 1 month validity unless you planning to go more than 1 month. I activate Datatravel SH for use in Malaysia trip and Jap trip during the same month. More reliable since I need it for my google map and planning the trip as we go.

OT - Of cos, I got the changi wifi router for family to use.

Parmesean

Reaction score
For a solo traveler, a Sim card is definitely a better option, if you aren't a heavy user, you can get away with using your service provider's overseas plan.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Most likely I'll rely heavily on navigation apps like google maps, navitime, translation apps and also HyperDia as this is my first time to Japan.

Hopefully they don't use up too much data.

daranic

Reaction score
Activate here - 1 month validity unless you planning to go more than 1 month. I activate Datatravel SH for use in Malaysia trip and Jap trip during the same month. More reliable since I need it for my google map and planning the trip as we go.

OT - Of cos, I got the changi wifi router for family to use.

If you activate here before u leave, it will begin the day 1 immediately? Or day 1 only start when you start to surf overseas? The number of days go by calendar day or the time of activation?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.