Touring on bicycle in 2018

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since we are stuck here, I have decided to post one of my bicycle trip done in 2018.

**Edited**
Just a brief explanation, the intention was to use our bicycle and trains for our trip, the bicycle used is the Brompton. We will pack our necessity into our front touring bags and send our luggage to the next hotel, my bag alone weights about 20kg. The ride was slow but manageable and the only obstacle was the first 2 days
**Edited**

Hiroshima > Imabari > Kyoto > Aomori > Lake Kawaguchi > Tokyo

Day 1, We landed in Hiroshima international airport in the morning, prep our bikes, there is locker rooms, bike tools and floor pump available near to the arrival hall, we then arranged for our luggage and bike bags to be delivered to Kyoto, then proceeded by limo bus to JR Hiroshima station to exchange our 7 days JR pass. From Hiroshima, we took a shinkansen to Okayama then change limited express train to Imabari, Shikoku where our first night accommodation just less than 5mins away from the station is located. We took our bikes and went hunting for our dinner, settled for ramen and gyoza.

Day 2, we started off having our breakfast at the hotel before riding off towards our first destination, Shimanami Kaido and our accommodation at Ikujima. There are road markers along to guide us to the right way, which makes navigation alot easier on us. The climb from Imabari to the first bridge, Kurushima Kaikyo was unexpected :p. We managed to reached our hotel early and had a nice onsen experience before our dinner. Then another round of onsen before we went to dreamland.

Day 3, Our plan was to complete the remaining part of the Shimanami Kaido and head to Onomichi for lunch, before another train ride to Kyoto. There was a long mountain pass after Ikuchi Bridge and the more memorable bridge has to be Innoshima bridge, where the bikes, motorcycles and pedestrain runs beneath the roadway. We took alittle longer than expected and had to change our plan to head to Nara for the evening to the next day. Dinner was at Kyoto station, followed by shopping.

Day 4, We started out on the wrong foot, with a wheel change, fortunately, it happened just before we were setting out, was mainly on the road with some section along the Katsura river towards Arashiyama and the Bamboo forest. The place was so crowded by the time we reached, had to do a chop chop stop and head back to Kyoto for Nara by train. Compared to the last time I was in Kyoto, there were alot more tourist in both Kyoto and Nara.

Day 5, made arrangement again to deliver our luggage to Lake Kawaguchi and check out to take a long train ride to Aomori (approx. 6.5hrs with a train change at Tokyo station), by the time we reached Aomori, it was already close to 4pm. Had a rest before we met up for dinner nearby.

Day 6, gloomy day as forecasted. But we were still determined to enjoy the sakura we traveled so far for and we weren't disappointed. Hirosaki castle held their 100 years anniversary Sakura Festival. It was fine until we had some photo taking fun just outside of Hirosaki park and it drizzled until we left the place in the afternoon.

Day 7, Checked out for another 3.5hrs ride back to Tokyo station, where we were supposed to catch the highway bus to Lake Kawaguchi. We cycled to our hotel from the station.

Day 8, Our plan was to cover the 5 lakes closest to kawaguchi, regretted big time, cos I under dress, berms and forgotten to bring along my leg warmer and jacket. We also made a last minute decision to visit the Fuji Shiba-Sakura festival at Fuji Motosuko Resort. The route to the place was quite scary, having to ride along the cross roads with heavy vehicle zooming past us. It was late afternoon when we finally reached the place and unfortunately, the organizers stopped us from rolling in our Bromptons, so we had to take turns to visit the festival. And because the sun was setting, temperature was also dropping fast, with only berms and no leg warmer nor jacket, I was freezing. So we did a fast one again and cycle back as fast as we could...... but the bridge between Lake Motosu and Lake Shoji was a killer for me, had to stopped a couple of times just to catch my breathe *faint*. I managed to cycle back and we did a final stop at Nagasaki park, before reaching back to our hotel. And did I mentioned the "slope" before our hotel. Crazy!!!!!

Day 9, The group part ways, me and my friend travel back to Tokyo while the other 2 stayed for another day and explore the other lake

Day 10, Departure from Haneda Airport.

Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 1 Photo Journal

HnfEH4n.jpg

First meal onboard

FJBZi1W.jpg

Red eye flight from SG to Hiroshima

isUZhH6.png

spotted the the Shimanami kaido from above, got us excited

3GVXBgl.jpg

Checking out the bike preparation area at the airport

mTjpD1u.jpg

Available facilities for cyclist (Area to assemble your bike, dispose the cupboard if you use it to bring over your bicycle)

WmwSWdk.jpg

Finally after about 4hrs later, we reach Imabari where we cycle 5mins to our hotel

k6yPWGK.jpg

We cycle around the city and took our dinner before turning in early for the start of our adventure next morning

CT3qy3Z.jpg

It took us many hours to get from the Hiroshima station to Imabari station

Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 2 Photo Journal

0dyYHIf.jpg

Check out and prepare for our ride

FpQId1B.jpg

final check and group photo before riding toward the longest suspension bridge to Oshima island

Hijc9KR.jpg

fWic739.jpg

VZZqaU1.jpg

WFZM43N.jpg

3Vpw0oD.jpg

Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
need to rectify some issue with my facebook photo that doesn't seem to load

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gave up trying, cos I have been using FB photo and suddenly that particular album just wouldn't load, the other albums works.. I think FB playing a prank on me

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Con't Day 2 (Destination toward our accommodation at Ikujima)

Kid17K9.jpg

8DfAAQh.jpg

the longest suspension bridge connected to Imabari and Oshima

YPIuXQt.jpg

v8ICj2C.jpg

eU6G0XW.jpg

BKGOy9n.jpg

OaCu8kN.jpg

bg6ltS2.jpg

The view from our room

**End of Day 2**
Took us 4 hrs (riding time) + 2 hrs (rest and meal time) to reach our ryokan, distance covered 57km with lotsa climbing due to the bridge connection from the many island, but the route was easy to follow with road marking showing us the way on the Shimanami Kaido, using the Brompton with a heavy front load makes it a challenge for all of us

Last edited:

kumokumo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice blog.

I was thinking of doing a solo cycling trip for Shimanami kaido, do you think easily do-able? I'm considered a beginner leisure cyclist, those that go east coast park rent a bike and cycle around.

At a leisurely pace how long will it take to complete the route?

Which hotel did you stay in shikoku?

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Imabari Urban hotel, a mere 5 mins from the station.
It is possible to complete the whole Shimanami kaido within a day, provided you can cycle at least 20kmph, the entire distance is roughly 80km+. We decided to split the ride into 2 days so not to stress ourselves and enjoy the scenery.

Plus you also need to consider which route you want to take
1. Onomichi to Imabari
2. Imabari to Onomichi

we decided on the latter as our next destination was Kyoto and wish to avoid the long train ride from Shikoku to Okayama and a train change to Kyoto

There are bike rental available from both ends of the route, if you choose to complete the whole route within a day, please bring along front and rear lights. Have watched many ppl in youtube failing to complete and was stuck in complete darkness :s22:

The ryokan we stayed in at Ikuchi is Ryokan Tsutsui, love the ryokan

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did anything go wrong with the bikes after 10 days of intensive use? Mid-April is still very cold.

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing major, we send our bikes for servicing before the trip. Only had one puncture at Kyoto which it easily resolved in 20mins. :D

The weather is just nice for cycling, temp in the day is between 15-20 degree, we worn our usual cycling apparel. Except for at Aomori where is was drizzling when we visited Hirosaki castle for the sakura

Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
**Day 3 - Complete Shimanami Kaido and travel to Kyoto**

qeiFkqe.jpg

one last view from our window

5N1L4ew.jpg

QQuW8vJ.jpg

7yuecNM.jpg

hDWeVxF.jpg

trzo4KK.jpg

LSdjj6n.jpg

fw9GeTm.jpg

Ferry from Mukaishima to Onomichi

completed the rest of the route at noon, just in time to grab lunch

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 3 - con't

s33HTls.jpg

Found a nice place in town to have our lunch

ZSPKz69.jpg

Unagi

ZyH6Nl4.jpg

how to take the train with our bicycle :s22:, this is only possible if we are taking the same row without anyone else. Only once did we have to leave the bikes at the luggage area

Dinner at Kyoto station after checking in
gFRd93J.jpg

4d8VnY7.jpg

Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
** Day 4 - Bamboo forest**

The crowd there was abit crazy, riding on both road and pavement, definitely not as enjoyable on the Shimanami Kaido

EqpgdBd.jpg

CsgcaXs.jpg

we went to Nara after lunch and again crazy crowd. :s22:

GZnR1yr.jpg

dinner back at Kyoto before turning in early for a long long train ride to Aomori

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing
very nice photos and unique itinerary!

Pls post more photos :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.