UNIQLO Ultra Light Down

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I may go check out a few more outlets. After reading a bit about it, looks like a pair of great light duty hiking shoes. Looks attractive and light enough for normal use, with the added benefit of keeping ur feet dry during our local rainy weather, lol.

Welcome. I am wearing this everyday since the purchase to worn in the shoes. So far, I have purposely step into puddles of water, walked in streams of water etc (last week was the storm week) and true enough, it is really waterproof.

But this is not without down side. The membrane is breathable. So one may need to wear heat tech socks or thick socks if in cold places.

So far the Spider rubber has yet to fail me. I fell down before wearing other brands (even Saloman and Cat the normal version, not the heavy metal toe protection version). That's why I have been sticking to this.

The closest ones I have worn is Timberland (with the GSR sole). It came as surprise because they didn't mention waterproof but I found out that it is quite resistant as my feet are still dry after stepping into water. It served me very well in my last year's Hokkaido trip. But they have since changed the sole.

As for the jacket, since my Zara one disintegrated, I was looking for one that is wind resistant/proof, keep warm (not down) and waterproof. Just got one Northface Triclimate one. I can take out the inner fleece to wear as light sweater. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

Deathskull88

Reaction score
Welcome. I am wearing this everyday since the purchase to worn in the shoes. So far, I have purposely step into puddles of water, walked in streams of water etc (last week was the storm week) and true enough, it is really waterproof.

But this is not without down side. The membrane is breathable. So one may need to wear heat tech socks or thick socks if in cold places.

So far the Spider rubber has yet to fail me. I fell down before wearing other brands (even Saloman and Cat the normal version, not the heavy metal toe protection version). That's why I have been sticking to this.

The closest ones I have worn is Timberland (with the GSR sole). It came as surprise because they didn't mention waterproof but I found out that it is quite resistant as my feet are still dry after stepping into water. It served me very well in my last year's Hokkaido trip. But they have since changed the sole.

As for the jacket, since my Zara one disintegrated, I was looking for one that is wind resistant/proof, keep warm (not down) and waterproof. Just got one Northface Triclimate one. I can take out the inner fleece to wear as light sweater. Not bad at all.

Thanks for the personal review, hehe. If can wear for normal use, then is a no brainer. If I do serious hiking next time, will purchase a proper heavier duty hiking boots then.

I have two pairs of merino wool socks, if i need more, will buy in Japan :)

Triclimate jacket ah? Wow, those cost a bomb. And where did u buy that?

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the personal review, hehe. If can wear for normal use, then is a no brainer. If I do serious hiking next time, will purchase a proper heavier duty hiking boots then.

I have two pairs of merino wool socks, if i need more, will buy in Japan :)

Triclimate jacket ah? Wow, those cost a bomb. And where did u buy that?

Ion Orchard Northface. I was thinking, a stupid Zara that can disintegrate in 2 years that cost almost 200 bucks, and Northface triclimate that I can use for multiple usage with life time warranty that costs less than 500 bucks with 10% discount with Amex. I think the choice is quite clear.

Amd if you need membership card and if I am around, I can lend you provided timing and location is convinient (eg. Town area or Vivo)

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score

They still got hose kind of sole
Just not all

I just got a timberland vibrum sole shoe too

Now timberland having sale at it boutique
If u member u get more discount too

I already got 2 ladies boot for my mum & aunt for our tokyo & Hokkaido trip from
Timberland

Deathskull88

Reaction score
Ion Orchard Northface. I was thinking, a stupid Zara that can disintegrate in 2 years that cost almost 200 bucks, and Northface triclimate that I can use for multiple usage with life time warranty that costs less than 500 bucks with 10% discount with Amex. I think the choice is quite clear.

Amd if you need membership card and if I am around, I can lend you provided timing and location is convinient (eg. Town area or Vivo)

Don't think I will spend so much on jacket unless I plan to go to cold climate countries every year. Haha.

Sent u a pm :)

Deathskull88

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, fuzzybear. I have heard about the sale from a friend too, maybe will check them out if I can

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For NorthFace products, you can buy from Outdoor Life at Velocity. Pay by cash can get 10% off if price tag is above $100.

fishfood

Reaction score
I would highly recommend buying TNF products online, it is way cheaper.

I recently bought TNF Thunder down jacket online from backcountry.com for my upcoming hokkaido trip. They were having some discount and although they do not ship to sgp, you can use shipping service like cgw.

I paid in total about 220sgd for my jacket and receive my jacket after ordering after 2 weeks. If I remember correctly the price of the jacket is above 400sgd locally. If you are in urgent need for the jacket, perhaps you can try going down to the planet traveller in marina square. They are having relocation sales for some time outside muji but I think the discounted price there is still higher than purchasing them online.

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend buying TNF products online, it is way cheaper.

I recently bought TNF Thunder down jacket online from backcountry.com for my upcoming hokkaido trip. They were having some discount and although they do not ship to sgp, you can use shipping service like cgw.

I paid in total about 220sgd for my jacket and receive my jacket after ordering after 2 weeks. If I remember correctly the price of the jacket is above 400sgd locally. If you are in urgent need for the jacket, perhaps you can try going down to the planet traveller in marina square. They are having relocation sales for some time outside muji but I think the discounted price there is still higher than purchasing them online.

Agree. If one is not in a hurry or you know what to get (size, model), online is still the way to go.

I have saved hundreds ordering memory cards online

Deathskull88

Reaction score
Haha, I might fit that category of 'in urgent need'. Thanks, may take a look at Planet Traveller sometime next week.

Oh, I went to get myself a pair of Merrell MOAB Goretex at S$130

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
Airport got gst %% discont too if u want jacket
Today last day with double 7% offset

I just hoot a Hershel cabin bag & enjoy x2 7% gst discount haha

Get one for my Hokkaido & Tokyo trip as my cheap cabin bag from esiript zip spoilt only used once !!

Gurss Bette to pay more to lost longer

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack on a uniqlo thread. Is a water-resistant down parka suitable for Japan's temps in mid march? I got by negative in canada when layering so just want to know if can make do with it. Also, any suggestions to get some good pairs of merino wool socks?

Feeshball

Reaction score
Hi, do ya'll think I can survive with Uniqlo Ultralight Down + Heattech long sleeve + Shirt when I travel around Osaka-Tokyo areas like in mid -end Dec? First time going to Japan, not sure about the weather.

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, do ya'll think I can survive with Uniqlo Ultralight Down + Heattech long sleeve + Shirt when I travel around Osaka-Tokyo areas like in mid -end Dec? First time going to Japan, not sure about the weather.

should be fine
if too cold u can go tokyo hoot extra

for me i dont use inner wear while im in tokyo even in sapporo wiht minus2
i only deck up with nortface down which is mich thicker than any uniqlo down

Feeshball

Reaction score
should be fine
if too cold u can go tokyo hoot extra

for me i dont use inner wear while im in tokyo even in sapporo wiht minus2
i only deck up with nortface down which is mich thicker than any uniqlo down

Ok thanks. Some of my friends told me ultralight down not enough. But I went europe with it during this period too. So I'm guessing it's ok

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Some of my friends told me ultralight down not enough. But I went europe with it during this period too. So I'm guessing it's ok

ya actualy is ok only yhe ultra light

in the end depend on individual body tolaralnce to the cold
and the equippments play major part if the person body not able to endure the cold

i got kakis who is fat and more meat ahha but stil complains cold

while i m a skinny ninja i stil ok with hokkiado snow blizzard

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doubt it
best u go layer mode clothing if u want go colder temp
unlesss u go for more stuffsing down

example my northface let me endure all cold
from Tokyo & snow blizzard in hokkiado without do epic mutil layer

even my Sapporo gf ask me where I got mine winter clothing haha
as she using a unqilo more thicker with hood jacket kept in complain cold hahhah

while I still stuff warm haha

for your case the ultra light shlud be enough unless u go below subzero but best u looks into layer clothing as enduring cold it subjective. to person to person

FYI im a skinny ninja

but I got friend who is fat but kept on complain cold even in Tokyo

your north face is a down jacket?

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
your north face is a down jacket?
Yup
But won't be cheap vs UNIQLO
But I got mine at a discount appox $130 if not u Will need to pay Nearly $400 for mine model

But got ppls say north face can hoot online cheaper
But north face jp won't be cheap

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.