Free N easy holiday - advice needed

lotusnotes

Reaction score
Hello..

I'd like to know, as of now, what are the cons of visiting Korea free N easy when one cannot speak Korean language.

Many years ago, I was told that it would be a nightmare. Is it still valid for now?

thanks in advance =:p

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most shops in seoul have Chinese speaking staff, so it is quite ok. Train stations have English signage also.
and now there is google translate app that can take photo and translate, so it is a lot easier

only_lonely

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You only need to speak when ordering food. Most of shops has English and Chinese menu. Young staffs usually speaks little Chinese and English. At ticketing counter, all staffs speaks English. Some with Korean slang but understandable. At Comestics shop, at least one staff speaks Chinese fluently.

tewem

Reaction score
Most shops in Jeju can't speak English well, although the Guest house that I have stayed in Jeju, the staff there can communicate in English well. I was also first time there sometimes in Mid Oct, on free & easy trip to Jeju & Seoul. In Seoul, most of the shops customer service officers/sales person can communicate in English or Mandarin.

Like what evilerniex suggested, install Google Translate app in your handphone before travelling to S.Korea. Can take photo and translate it in English or Chinese. If you have gotten a wifi egg, it would be easier for you to travel Free & Easy, as if you run into problems, u can use the internet to translate directly and show someone that can't communicate in English. Or you may have lost your way, can use Google map for tracking your location.

God Of Pcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nah,no disadvantage at all.Body language work well,anything can google and show them the image

lastkopek

Reaction score
Im malay go there also no problem.
Even in busan where some auntie dont speak english just ask how much and auntie will auto key in calculator let u know price.

If you are lost is seoul the best person to ask is those ns army or police boys. They can speak english and they seems to be everywhere in thier uniform.

Go lotte world or everland theme park also wear uniform. Siao on siol.

God Of Pcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup,they even have police officers specially for tourists.I think there a name,i forget,,u can google.Just take note of the number,anything wrong call them.

lemon812

Reaction score
Other than Google Translate, can also try to use Naver Dictionary (sort of local Google) for English-Korean vocab translation. Free and easy in Seoul (not sure about other cities) is quite easy now because public transport (subway, bus etc) will make announcements in Korean, English, Chinese and Japanese. I believe Busan subway is also the same. Have not really ventured to other places out of Seoul but most major tourist locations will cater to non-Korean speaking tourists.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.