Best ramen in Singapore

Assenkay

Reaction score
Serious? Men-tei opens for dinner? I thought they close when they run out of noodles?

Assenkay

Reaction score
Okay... back from Mentei. Checked with the staff and yes, they open at night as well. They just started opening in the evenings this week. 6:00-10:00pm So those who don't work in the CBD area can go there and try it out for yourselves after work. :)

I had the Tonkotsu Ramen. The soup was pretty alright. Noodles were ok. The yakibuta was a little thin and the bowl had only 2 slices. :(

The best part about the whole thing was probably the tamago. The yolk was semi solid and semi runny. Interesting experience for me considering that I never had tamago done this way before.

Damage to wallet was still quite ok: $13. No GST or service charge.

Might go back there to try out the Miso Ramen.

Last edited:

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Littlewild said:
Sweetness? Of course you can taste the soup, whatever that's left in there besides chili. If not it will taste the same as chili paste in plain water.

My point is most "soup" will taste just like that after you added the same amount of spices into it just like Bie Fu. And I personally don't think that's a great way to go.

there is sweetness unless there's something wrong with your taste bud......

Littlewild

Master Member
Reaction score
spinelli said:
there is sweetness unless there's something wrong with your taste bud......

Unless you can't read, I have already stated what I think in the previous post.

FireAway

Reaction score
Any Recommandation for Ramen... my di is going for another hunt of Fantastic Ramen in S'pore with me tomorow... i heard there's on in Upper Thomson road or sth... can anyone tell me the name or... how to go ???

Tried Ken House Ramen... so far is best... still finding the BEST OF THE BEST ramen in SINGAPORE !!!

FireAway

Reaction score
Ramen Ramen

Slurpalicious: Sharksfin ramen topped with char siew, mushrooms and beansprouts, $28

:eek::eek::eek::s31:

klaha81

Reaction score
I would like to recommend Menya Shinchan Ramen (and no its not Crayon Shinchan), its located at a quiet corner at Riverside View. There are seats outside the shop (with table fans if it gets too warm) and also the usual seats in the shop itself and the bar tables and seats right in front of the chef.

The service is good and the food comes in reasonable time. Theres quite a fair bit of condiments on the table for your ramen soup. It was my 3rd time at this place and i ordered the Shoyu Tonshio Ramen (Rich) - Soya Sauce Pork Bone

The noodles were springy and nice, a very good compliment to the soup. The soup itself was thick and not overly saltish. It also came with some garlic flakes, spring onions and some bamboo shoots and not forgetting the egg as well. Because of the good blend between the noodles and the soup, the bowl always ends up empty when we head there for a meal. Did i mention about the char shiu? It was very good....and the fats and meat blended perfect with the rest of the dish and unlike some places where the char shiu either left a bad aftertaste, tasted too pork-y or overly dry, this was well made, very tender.

Vegetable lovers can also take note of the Sanjiro Ramen, which has plenty of greens stacked alongside a big bowl of noodles. You can also add noodles and it comes in 1/2 and 1 ball extra of noodles. Trust me though, you probably would be stuffed without the additions as it is quite filling. Extra Char Shiu can also be added although it doesn't come out to many extra pieces as well.

Overall i find this ramen better than marutama for the price (because it costs around 11 per bowl of noodles), the selection, the environment (i dunno, i seem to like a small corner shop ramen concept) and personally i feel chicken broth is too common in a chinese family dinner menu.

Anyway pipz who are interested to explore and eat good ramen and haven't given this place a bite yet, give it a try!

Singapore 238251

Littlewild

Master Member
Reaction score
I would like to recommend Menya Shinchan Ramen (and no its not Crayon Shinchan), its located at a quiet corner at Riverside View. There are seats outside the shop (with table fans if it gets too warm) and also the usual seats in the shop itself and the bar tables and seats right in front of the chef.

The service is good and the food comes in reasonable time. Theres quite a fair bit of condiments on the table for your ramen soup. It was my 3rd time at this place and i ordered the Shoyu Tonshio Ramen (Rich) - Soya Sauce Pork Bone

The noodles were springy and nice, a very good compliment to the soup. The soup itself was thick and not overly saltish. It also came with some garlic flakes, spring onions and some bamboo shoots and not forgetting the egg as well. Because of the good blend between the noodles and the soup, the bowl always ends up empty when we head there for a meal. Did i mention about the char shiu? It was very good....and the fats and meat blended perfect with the rest of the dish and unlike some places where the char shiu either left a bad aftertaste, tasted too pork-y or overly dry, this was well made, very tender.

Vegetable lovers can also take note of the Sanjiro Ramen, which has plenty of greens stacked alongside a big bowl of noodles. You can also add noodles and it comes in 1/2 and 1 ball extra of noodles. Trust me though, you probably would be stuffed without the additions as it is quite filling. Extra Char Shiu can also be added although it doesn't come out to many extra pieces as well.

Overall i find this ramen better than marutama for the price (because it costs around 11 per bowl of noodles), the selection, the environment (i dunno, i seem to like a small corner shop ramen concept) and personally i feel chicken broth is too common in a chinese family dinner menu.

Anyway pipz who are interested to explore and eat good ramen and haven't given this place a bite yet, give it a try!

Singapore 238251

Went and did a mini review.

http://www.freakthoughts.net/?p=27

It is pretty alright and the broth taste different. Definitely deserves more attention from ramen lovers.

xXxJavierxXx

Reaction score
I tried Menya Shinchan Ramen too. It's worth the trip. Ramen price between 11 to 14 bucks per bowl. Add noodles from $1 to $4. Depends how much u can fill ur stomach. U can add the chasiew with a extra charge too.

The soup comes with 2 types (thick or thin) I tried the think soup based, it's not over-powering. =) The egg like a standard ramen resturant does pretty good. Fully boiled but the yolk is still cream-like. Just like jelly. Char siew is nice and tender. Noodles is Q and not too think. Not those kind like maggie mee.

The staff was patience to explain to us wat's good in the menu.

Overall, it's a worthwhile trip.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After coming back from Japan, I gave Singapore's ramen stores a break until I tried...

Ramen Santouka at Central Level 2.

I had the shio version and I must say their tonkotsu base is really good!

This is now the TOP ramen in Singapore for me. Marutama will start suffering until they cut their price!

Last edited:

Lesbian_Behkan_

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After coming back from Japan, I gave Singapore's ramen show a break until I tried...

This is now the TOP ramen in Singapore for me. Marutama will start suffering until they cut their price!

Agreeee!!!~~~trieD it las weekenD an must say it is fabulouS~!Esp their fatty slices of porK ramen dat cost $18(dun know wat call)

masashi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like I've got another ramen place to try out. Wanted to bring my friend to either Miharu or Menya Shinchan, though I've tried both before, for Ramen Santouka what are the opening hours during the weekends? seems tempting to try the Tokusen Toriniku ramen over there.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After coming back from Japan, I gave Singapore's ramen show a break until I tried...

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads-up bro, I have been looking for new places for good ramen other than my regular hangouts (Marutama and Tampopo). Thx to u now I got new places to venture and try out liao, hopefully it lives up to expectations. :)

Will try it out soon and feedback to this thread, how the price range for the ramen at Ramen Santouka?

sweet_vanilla

Reaction score
I recommend Men Tei which is near the the MPH [Tanjong Pagar] - actually quite near Hans.

They have 4 types of ramen - Tonkotsu, Shio, Shoyu & Miso
Its pretty nice and affordable. $13 per bowl with free flow of green tea/water + no GST & service charge.

I find it worthwhile to eat there.

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Santouka is excellent....just as Kifo mentioned, top tonkotsu based ramen for me too....but its still very new and many stuffs on the menu are still not avail.

If u intend to order the toroniku, its a little too salty for me...

But the soup is really to die for...

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads-up bro, I have been looking for new places for good ramen other than my regular hangouts (Marutama and Tampopo). Thx to u now I got new places to venture and try out liao, hopefully it lives up to expectations. :)

Will try it out soon and feedback to this thread, how the price range for the ramen at Ramen Santouka?

I had the A set which came with spring onion rice and an egg... which was 15.50 I remember?

The egg was very good (as good as Marutama's) although the rice was nothing special.

DJEvan

Reaction score
just like to give a mini review for sapporo ramen bishamon @ B1 Raffles place Marketplace. My advice is to stay away, as i feel the standard there very lousy. Had the shoyu ramen, which was very tasteless. The men did not have a QQ feeling to it, more like undercooked hard and chewy. chashu was normal, the only redeeming point of the whole meal was the ajitama, which was cooked to perfection. Gyoza was terribad with a very thick layer of skin (i think they didn't recieve their salt stock that day, everything damn bland), the agedeshi tofu skin was thick also.

friend had the miso which didn't taste as rich as Baikohken and Osho. Their spicy Miso ramen was just ordinary ramen with rayu added on top.

overall, damn bad experience. i had to go to that Marce style Jap food bazaar located nearby to finish off my meal.

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just went to try Menya Shinchan Ramen. No where near as good as Santouka imho. Probably I hv a heavier taste bud, the soup is not sweet enough...and they put beansprouts in their soup (which spoils it for me really).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.