HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best ramen in Singapore

Like Tree583Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #811

Last saturday, I went to my favourite Ajisen Ramen restaurant and it was fully packed. I waited nearly 1 hour before I was shown the seat. However I have no complain after tasting the food, it is still the best Ramen in singapore. My Jap friend who is with me agreed.

As usual, the double layer noodle complement very well with the pork broth. I had my usual seafood ramen and my friend ordered Ma Po toufu ramen ( newly listed in Ajisen). Did I mention that their mango pudding is out of this world? I suspect they hired italian for the dessert making.

All in with side dishes and drinks/dessert, our bills turn out to be less than $50. Being a member of Ajisen, I was given 10% discount. Who says you cant get good food with decent pricing in singapore? My Jap friend and I definately did.

Ajisen is still the best Ramen store in Singapore. No doubt about it.

My favourite ramen.
Connoisseur-1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #812
High Supremacy Member

Ajisen u treat me, I also wun eat
padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #813
Supremacy Member

... ...
Not funny anymore man.
Agravaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #814

Trolls are never funny to anyone

Except to the troll.

I've already struck Marutama off my list after trying there once.

My Nissin instant noodles taste more exciting.
why do you say this? can elaborate? Are nissin noodles that nice? i have never eaten nissin cup noodles in my life before.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #815
Master Member

Ajisen is a piece of crap. Tried it years back and never went again. Just last week, went for a lunch gathering and had Ajisen (tho i didnt want it) .... F***ed. lol
Terminatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #816
Supremacy Member

I just had the ramen 2days ago, they had eggs as ala carte.

No offence and no hard feeling.

True, it definitely a must for a ramen with "runny" egg. I was so embaressed that I actually commented to my frens (never tried b4) how good the place was. Then we tried it without the egg plsu slow service. The place wasn't pack at all, its week day dinner btw.

Unless they improved in service (at the very least) and speed, me still barring the place from my list. Huh!

[/SIZE]
Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #817
Supremacy Member

why do you say this? can elaborate? Are nissin noodles that nice? i have never eaten nissin cup noodles in my life before.
Marutama's soup is bland and one-dimensional. For roughly half the price of Marutama, I can get a heart warming bowl of double-boiled chicken soup at Crystal Jade.

The noodles aren't anything special either, a bit like Cintan brand or certain types of 统一 brand instant noodles.

I'm talking about Nissin's packet noodles, 出前一丁. Pardon me, but there's a certain flavour that's really delicious and always seems to be sold out, and for that reason I'm not very prepared to divulge it :p

You should be able to easily find out though, just by looking for the one flavor that has a tag on the display shelf, but no actual item available...
Agravaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #818

Tried Marutama once and I don't understand why people rave about it.

The chicken soup base reminds me of instant noodles! The basic noodle comes with like one or two slices of charshu which was like really thin...could hardly bite anything. Some people say it melts in your mouth, but then to me, it was so thin I could hardly feel any texture!

The price was quite steep too. IIRC paid about like close to $18. For that price I'd rather go to Baikohken. Even Ken's Noodle House is better if I'm looking for a cheaper quick fix ($13.20).
Assenkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #819
Arch-Supremacy Member

the one at central beats the one at liang court.

its good, different strokes for different folks i guess
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #820

their shio ramen been there all along....is the price reduced or something?
No lah, the flyer is to promote their Pao only.
isky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #821

msy i know what are the good ramen shops that can be found in Orchard Cuppage plaza or Orchard OG that area?
foofam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #822
Arch-Supremacy Member

msy i know what are the good ramen shops that can be found in Orchard Cuppage plaza or Orchard OG that area?
You may try Noodle House Ken, included the exact address for you in case you can't find your way, it's just next to Cuppage Plaza so u won't miss it, it's somewhere at Orchard Plaza where u can find alot of eateries on the outside area, hidden at one corner. They have 2 seating areas, see whether you prefer to eat at the crowded sushi bar 'izakaya style' or prefer the local kopitiam-style. (that area got plenty of mangas to read!)

Noodle House Ken also open until pretty late in the night, so suitable for those late-night goers who's looking for somewhere to eat in town after finishing their late-night movie or shopping with friends. I find the noodles there quite alright, still decent in my eyes but definitely no where near Santouka or Marutama standard. (in my own opinion of course)

Cheers!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #823
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tried Marutama once and I don't understand why people rave about it.

The chicken soup base reminds me of instant noodles! The basic noodle comes with like one or two slices of charshu which was like really thin...could hardly bite anything. Some people say it melts in your mouth, but then to me, it was so thin I could hardly feel any texture!

The price was quite steep too. IIRC paid about like close to $18. For that price I'd rather go to Baikohken. Even Ken's Noodle House is better if I'm looking for a cheaper quick fix ($13.20).
I consider the chicken soup base as a more 'inferior' selection compared to the 7 nuts soup base, which is considered Marutama's 'popular' selection. I think on the menu this is known as the Aka Ramen - Marutama Original Seven Nuts Soup Base Ramen with Coriander. (correct me if I'm wrong, trying to rem off the back of my head) As for the charshu or toppings, I agree that Marutama's charshu is a little thin or lacking compared to Santouka, but thats their style I guess and most of the time, I do opt to add additional toppings when I dine at Marutama like Ajitsuke Tamago or Kakuni when I order my ramen there. (thus why I have mentioned on this thread in the past that usually dining at Marutama will be slightly more expensive compared to when dining at other ramen places)

the one at central beats the one at liang court.

its good, different strokes for different folks i guess
Yup I 2nd this, I prefer the Central Mall outlet one.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #824
Arch-Supremacy Member

You may try Noodle House Ken, included the exact address for you in case you can't find your way, it's just next to Cuppage Plaza so u won't miss it, it's somewhere at Orchard Plaza where u can find alot of eateries on the outside area, hidden at one corner. They have 2 seating areas, see whether you prefer to eat at the crowded sushi bar 'izakaya style' or prefer the local kopitiam-style. (that area got plenty of mangas to read!)

Noodle House Ken also open until pretty late in the night, so suitable for those late-night goers who's looking for somewhere to eat in town after finishing their late-night movie or shopping with friends. I find the noodles there quite alright, still decent in my eyes but definitely no where near Santouka or Marutama standard. (in my own opinion of course)

Cheers!

you are correct. Its pretty good for its price/location and serving size is decent as well but no where near the top. Maybe top 10 ramen place in singapore but definitely not top 5
Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #825
Arch-Supremacy Member

I consider the chicken soup base as a more 'inferior' selection compared to the 7 nuts soup base, which is considered Marutama's 'popular' selection. I think on the menu this is known as the Aka Ramen - Marutama Original Seven Nuts Soup Base Ramen with Coriander. (correct me if I'm wrong, trying to rem off the back of my head) As for the charshu or toppings, I agree that Marutama's charshu is a little thin or lacking compared to Santouka, but thats their style I guess and most of the time, I do opt to add additional toppings when I dine at Marutama like Ajitsuke Tamago or Kakuni when I order my ramen there. (thus why I have mentioned on this thread in the past that usually dining at Marutama will be slightly more expensive compared to when dining at other ramen places)

Yup I 2nd this, I prefer the Central Mall outlet one.
I usually get the spicy or the 7 nut. in fact, i recommend everyone who goes there to do the same. No point getting the normal chicken soup version as its nothing special
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.