HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Like Tree725Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #136

Beef Tataki is a wonderful Japanese method of preparing fillet beef where the meat is lightly seared, marinated, sliced thinly similar to sashimi and served with a citrus based soy sauce. The flavour of this juicy beef is drawn out by the fresh citrus notes of the salty soy sauce and the accompanying julienned onion.

Yukke Beef - Raw thinly sliced beef with the fat removed and then seasoned with spices or sauces. Before serving it is topped with a raw egg yolk and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. A lot of people might be put off by the prospect of eating this raw beef but it actually does not have that rawness associated with the look. Bunny said some portion of the beef was still frozen but I did not noticed it.

Part of the premium menu, this Aji (Horse Mackerel) was served separated from the other sashimi. There was already soya sauce in there together with minced ginger and chopped up spring onion. Can't really tell how this taste like as it was just a small portion shared by the 4 of us and nobody asked for a reorder again.

On my second trip, we opted not to order the tuna sashimi so I thought I did try out the Maguro Tataki. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it although it did use the same citrus-based soya sauce of the Beef Tataki.

adr77 and etoilebiscuit like this.

Click to join >> HWZ's Makan Session
twtan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #137

My colleague picked these and I though I was eating squid until I checked the menu and it turned out to be Tako Wasabi. The wasabi wasn't that pungent, just enough to lend the pieces of octopus it unique flavour which I must say goes very well with the rest of us. Chuka Hotate was lightly spicy sweet and the nutty sesame lift up the overall taste factor for what was considered the leftover part of a scallop.

Another of my colleague ordered this Natto Ika but the natto was coarsely mashed instead of the usual whole bean which we were more familiar with. I tried a tiny portion and decided that I did not like the fermented beans but on the other hand, the squid were fresh and good.

While waiting for the sleeping beauty to arrive, we helped ourselves to this plate of mouthwatering Sashimi; no no no, I am not referring to our resident sleeping beauty - Denny. This one is much more ambitious, who aimed for a six pack abs and a blissful marriage to a rich old mature lady.

etoilebiscuit likes this.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #138

This second serving of Assorted Sashimi comprised of Hotate, Amaebi, Shiro Maguro, Meikajiki, Salmon and Hamachi. The quality and freshness were generally there except for the sweet shrimp which I found them a little on the mushy side.

For the last order of sashimi on my first trip, we had the Amaebi and Hotate. The sweet shrimp simply cannot compared to the ones I had in Oscar's which boasted exceptional freshness and coupled with a nice sweet and firm texture. Scallop was very good though, it had a nice clean sweet taste clinging to it.

For my second trip, we opted for the Classic Buffet so our plate of Assorted Sashimi does not have access to the scallop. Instead we had Amaebi, Shiro Maguro, Meikajiki, Salmon, Hamachi and Tako. Again, I was rather disappointed with the freshness of the sweet shrimp.

Come to think of it, no one seems to ask for the Ika, so my colleague requested for the squid to be included in this small plate of Sashimi. Glad to say that the squid had none of the stickiness I usually experienced with it and was delicious to boot. The Swordfish also fared better as I can savour the sweetness from the fish than on my first trip.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #139

For the Premium Buffet, you're entitled to a serving of the seasonal item which in our case was a whole Red Snapper. Unfortunately, this was no cause for celebration as the flesh had a rather strong fishy taste which immediately put off Power789. The rest of the fish was left untouched on the table for sometime before Bunny came up with her minced ginger and soya sauce mixture which really help to tone down that fishiness.

Also part of the premium menu, this Toro (Tuna Belly) doesn't really leave much of an impression as echoed by some of us. Maybe because it was not the fattest cuts or maybe it needs a light searing to bring the fat to melting point to enhance its taste.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #140

One can't really tell that much differences between the Wagyu Beef Steak (Premium menu - below 1st picture) and Rib Eye Steak (Classic menu - below 2nd picture) other than the former had more fat distribution in the meat. Both came served with mustard at the side.

Hamachi Kama - There were 4 of us so we got two grilled Yellowtail Collars to share. The fish was more meaty than I expected, while it tasted quite decent, I preferred those parts near the bone which was more tender.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #141

The Ultra King Prawn Tempura, an oversize Ebi tempura was a letdown due to the fact that the prawn was not fresh and the texture rather mushy. Although the batter was crispy, I had to peel away some of it as it was just too thick.

Ebi and Shitake Tempura - The wait staff mistakenly sent this over to our table meant for the next table and we just accepted it. Later they came back with just the prawns which was my original order but we told them ours was already served and then she gave it to the next table. Compared to its larger cousin above, this was a fresher catch though I wished that it had a thinner coat of batter. The mushroom was plump and juicy with a thin crispy shell; this is how a good vegetable tempura should be.

Power789 was asking the wait staff what is the difference between this Anago (below 1st picture) and the Unagi (below 2nd picture) and she couldn't answered him. Actually Anago is a saltwater eel and the Unagi, a freshwater eel. To tell you the truth, I ate both but still can't taste the difference in them, since they were both grilled and smothered with the same sweet sauce. If you want to know their differences, check out this site.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #142

If you asked me why I like Ikura (Salmon Roe) so much, I honestly don't have an explanation. Maybe it's the act of popping those little balls of roe and the bursting of the salty liquid in the mouth, I can't really say. But I had an enjoyable time eating them in my Hokkaido trip. How I wished they were not salty so that I can eat them by the spoonful without the rice but will just have to make do with these Ikura Sushi.

While the fresh scallops had a natural ocean sweetness to it, these skewers of Grilled Scallop added an extra layer of smoky flavour and sweetness from the caramelised sweet sauce onto the outer surface which was delicious in its own way. The first trip had this black soot (from the charcoal?) sticking to the scallops (below 1st picture) which was not there when I went back two weeks later.

Last edited by twtan14; 23-06-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Old 18-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #143

Assorted Grilled Bacon Rolls came in various ingredients in the middle like the Uzuru Bacon (Quail Egg), Chizu Maki (Cheese), Enoki Maki (Golden Mushroom), Tomato Bacon (Cherry Tomato) and Asparamaki (Asparagus). I must say both the quail egg and tomato goes very well with the salty bacon; try it the next time you are there. Now for the bad ones; it's not a good combination when you paired up two salty ingredients like the cheese bacon which was just too sodium loaded. Next, I am not sure why the asparagus here was so fibrous, it just took away the joy of eating it.

These black tailed Grilled Shishamo was plump with roes and moist to the bite. Usually I ate them all, head to tail but this time I left the blacken (charred) tail intact.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #144

Like I mentioned above, the asparagus in the Asparamaki (Asparagus wrapped in Bacon) had such pronounced strands of fibre that it just makes them tough to chew and unpleasant to the overall enjoyment. The Enoki Maki (Golden Mushroom with Bacon - below 2nd picture) fared so much better.

Buta Bara (Grilled Pork Belly) was a nice treat to have; crispy browned outer layer and juice bursting moist meat/fat inside. Best of all, eating it doesn't gave you that jelak feeling like when I was in Shinkei Japanese Restaurant.

Last edited by twtan14; 27-08-2014 at 10:45 PM..
Old 18-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #145

We ordered the grilled chicken skin but was served this Negima (Grilled Chicken with Leek) instead. Luckily, the lightly grilled bite–size pieces of chicken and leek in teriyaki sauce was a decent eat as the meat was very tender and retained the flavourful meat juices.

Kudos to the chef for doing a great job deboning the Tebasaki (Grilled Chicken Wings). The browned skin and edge of the marinated meat make for a nice snack minus the hustle of having to mess with the bones.

And now for the Tori Kawa (Grilled Chicken Skin), which came after quite some time later and according to the wait staff was due to the longer cooking time required to grill it. The picture below was that from the second trip and it does not come with salt as per my instruction. Reason being the chicken skin we had in our first trip was way over salted. A sinful yet very crispy and fragrant eat. Sedap!

The Shitake Shio (Grilled Shitake Mushroom) was the best I have eaten so far. Made using fresh plump mushrooms and lightly brushed with fragrant oil/marinate before sending off to the hot grill for a short cooking stint. These grilled fungi came to the table still hot and fleshy plus they were not dried out either.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #146

Surune Ika or in plain English, Grilled Squid was a pleasure to consume especially that of the below 2nd and 3rd photos. The fragrant outer surface, coupled with the chewy moist flesh was an enjoyment for us. My colleague preferred the chewier tentacles, whereas I like the meatier body.

Saba Shioyaki was perfectly grilled; it had the classic crispy skin and moist firm flesh underneath it. Squeeze some lemon juice over the fish and dig in.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #147

Rainbow Roll came sliced into 6 small portions wrapped in slices of swordfish, tuna, salmon and avocado. As with most of the maki featured in the menu, they all come in a set of 6s so only order this if you have two or more people in your group.

My colleague wanted this Salmon Gaga which came wrapped with salmon slices for the maki and salmon sashimi at the side. He was busily eating the other dishes when he discovered that me and my other colleague had finished up all the salmon sashimi at the side. And we did left him 3 pieces of the maki for him to clean up the plate.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #148

And now for the Assorted Deep Fried Items which were all very well fried to a golden brown hue. The Soft Shell Crab was wonderfully crispy yet minus that greasy feeling when you eat it fresh from the wok. The Squid Skewers were equally crispy and tasty without being overly chewy.

The Kaki Fried (Deep Fried Oysters) was worth a mention because it was well fried and tasty according to my colleague who was supposed to be allergy to the raw molluscs. Ended up he went to bomb the toilet bowl again after the meal.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #149

Gyoza - The filling was decent enough, nothing fanciful either though my colleague seem to enjoy it.

Another one of my colleague's order was these Pumpkin Croquettes of which I took a small bite. The croquette sported a crispy shell, but pumpkin is not my kind of vegetable.

Teriyaki Chicken Salad - Charred outside but the chicken was a tad undercooked and was still pink inside. Just a small bowl of veggies which the three of us quickly polished it off.

We were near to our limit so I asked for a small portion of this Pork Belly Shioyaki. Tasted just like the Pork Belly Skewer but with some sauce over it.

Old 18-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #150

Tori Momo or Grilled Chicken Thigh was juicy if not a little on the bland side. Some sauce or a longer period of marinate would have improved on its appeal.

Teba Karaage - This Deep Fried Chicken Wing was one of the best I have eaten; flavourful crispy skin with a wonderful sesame fragrant and tender juicy meat inside. Oishii de!!!

The soup base for the Lobster Soup was miso which was too pronounced. Other than that Boston lobster claw, there was hardly if any lobster sweetness in the soup. Unless you enjoyed the taste of miso, I suggest you skip ordering this.

adr77 and etoilebiscuit like this.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.