HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Like Tree796Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #2101

The tunglok fried fish skin with salted egg is very nice. Tried the one at Chinese Swimming club. Their lunch pricing of around $29++ weekday is very worth it imo, considering no vouchers and promo needed. Liu Sha Pau also is the oozing type one. TungLok ala carte buffet generally not too bad except Lao Beijing ones.

Durian, unless you can change the water and the ambient temp + humidity here, you cannot replicate the results of the croissant here. The baking schools there have entire modules on seasons, altitude, temperature and humidity. If you apprentice there, you can learn the hard way. The water is different also so the bread and pasta won't taste the same region to region. My friend apprentice in France for 2 years then work there for 3 years and even after he return back to Japan, he say still have to refine his recipes.
Fried fish skin with salted eggs, this is actually a triple sinful dish! Fried + Skin + Salted Eggs! Hahaha ... but who cares, eat first, talk later!

I doubt I can change all of these. I thought it was the baking skills that made the difference. Perhaps they use Evian or Pierre still water to prepare it? Talking about Evian, there was once I stayed up late in the meeting room, the cleaning lady was pouring away all the unused Evian water, some were more than three quarter full, onto the potted plants. My heart so painful for them siah. Later, I passed by the convenience store to grap a bottle of Evian water, cost me only EUR0.55 for one litre bottle nia, chay! This will cost EUR10 in the hotel! So I thought Evian also very expensive there. Okay lah, pour away more, I said to myself.

My Australian friend told me the croissant served at Hilton Kula Lumpur for breakfast are freshly baked and very nice, got standard, ask me go try. I said "ah"? Stay there just to try their croissant? Xiao! So I waiting for a chance to travel to KL for business trip. By the way, the nasi lemak served at lobby was an absolute delight!
Old 26-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #2102
Arch-Supremacy Member

Fried fish skin with salted eggs, this is actually a triple sinful dish! Fried + Skin + Salted Eggs! Hahaha ... but who cares, eat first, talk later!

I doubt I can change all of these. I thought it was the baking skills that made the difference. Perhaps they use Evian or Pierre still water to prepare it?
As the saying goes, a nice dish is “七分食材, 三分功”. Tats why its very difficult to replicate the exact taste of a dish when you expanding overseas cos the ingredients are different, even the water also taste different. For those oversea showcase demos by star chefs, they will sometimes bring along ALL the ingredients so as to ensure that the dishes will taste exactly as if they were cooked in their kitchen back home.

Tunglok's fried fish skin is indeed nicer than the plain fried fish skin served at peony jade or peach garden cos of the use of salted egg. The saltiness n richness of the salted egg really complements the fried fish skin well as the fish skin do not have much taste on its own. The fragrance of the salted egg also helps to mask the fishiness. But OC is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes too little salted egg.
Old 26-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #2103
High Supremacy Member

Swatow at Toa Payoh also has a very mean salted egg fried fish skin
Old 26-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #2104

K, for Cafe 2k, there will be 1 fish dish, whether steamed or deep fried. I like it. Their carving will be beef n ribs + sausages. The beef steak not bad. They will grill it to your likening before serving it to you, so its hot unlike most other buffets which serve the carving cold. Plus you can really get it rare to medium depending on your preference. There will be 2-3 other meat dishes, which i normally find not bad or at least okay. I will recommend going on Fri or Sat nites. They have an additional bbq stn where you can get big prawns, scallops, beef, lamb, salmon etc bbqed. The carving also upgraded to prime ribs. Their durian paste also quite fragrant, only thing is i find too sweet. Most ppl should like it though.

If you're a meat lover, how abt Brazil Churrasco? Other more meaty buffet spreads tat i like are Sq@furama (30ish, so you need to moderate your expectations) n Indulge at Park @ Grand Park Cityhall.
yumyumyum. hungry alr. i tried brazil churrasco a while back, find it okayish. indulge @ park doesn't look too bad, somemore got 2 glasses of selected wine hehehehehe

edit: 30ish? oh did you mean the priceee

Take away the budget, what's the best buffet dinner yáll ever had?
The edge won simi best buffet award this year wor.

Last edited by xberri; 26-11-2014 at 03:41 PM..
xberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #2105

CUPIM best beef i ever ever try in Brazil churrasco tokyo and shen zhen, i been searching up and down in singapore which i couldnt find, pls let me know if u anyone know where to find this CUPIM .......
robincheok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #2106

indulge @ park and cafe2k gotch discount for early bird reservations in dec!

lip lai indulge@park vs cafe2k which one more wuhua to go?
as in variety, beeeeef.... wafflesssssss... cakesssss.....

or should i just throw my money and go to edge hehehe
Old 26-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #2107

anywhere to go for good japanese buffet? budget below $50.
Old 26-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #2108

For me will fly to hokkaido else then ikoi at mirama

anywhere to go for good japanese buffet? budget below $50.
Old 27-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #2109

Spending 40-50 for a sub quality buffet might as well top up 20 for a quality buffet, try claymore my record 13 half lobster.....

indulge @ park and cafe2k gotch discount for early bird reservations in dec!

lip lai indulge@park vs cafe2k which one more wuhua to go?
as in variety, beeeeef.... wafflesssssss... cakesssss.....

or should i just throw my money and go to edge hehehe
Old 27-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #2110

Spending 40-50 for a sub quality buffet might as well top up 20 for a quality buffet, try claymore my record 13 half lobster.....
edit: claymore vs marriott for weekday dinner. price ard the same. Which one would yáll recommend?

from my research here, marriott got quality. claymore got beef got lobster(? on a weekday?). mariott got?

Last edited by xberri; 27-11-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Old 27-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #2111

bump yixia let people ssrr give feedback
Old 27-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #2112

My vote goes to claymore: lobster,lamb,fried kway teow, oyster, wagu beef, durian, lemon grass icecream and ginger lili tea.

Thats what i often have at claymore.

edit: claymore vs marriott for weekday dinner. price ard the same. Which one would yáll recommend?

from my research here, marriott got quality. claymore got beef got lobster(? on a weekday?). mariott got?
Old 27-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #2113

My vote goes to claymore: lobster,lamb,fried kway teow, oyster, wagu beef, durian, lemon grass icecream and ginger lili tea.

Thats what i often have at claymore.
super tempted to go liaow. how's the dessert spread like? c:
Old 27-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #2114
Supremacy Member

As the saying goes, a nice dish is “七分食材, 三分功”. Tats why its very difficult to replicate the exact taste of a dish when you expanding overseas cos the ingredients are different, even the water also taste different. For those oversea showcase demos by star chefs, they will sometimes bring along ALL the ingredients so as to ensure that the dishes will taste exactly as if they were cooked in their kitchen back home.

Tunglok's fried fish skin is indeed nicer than the plain fried fish skin served at peony jade or peach garden cos of the use of salted egg. The saltiness n richness of the salted egg really complements the fried fish skin well as the fish skin do not have much taste on its own. The fragrance of the salted egg also helps to mask the fishiness. But OC is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes too little salted egg.
Maybe you can try the fish skin from East Ocean. I usually buy a few tubs during CNY and its better than that of Peony Jade or Peach Garden imho. Tung Lok's one is nice for a bit before it becomes very jelat.
Old 27-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #2115
Supremacy Member

Striker22: Thank you for the croissant link, I shall check it out, and I am a bit apprehensive. Anybody knows of a place that serves irresistible croissant, please let me know.
I love croissants and the best I've tried so far in Singapore was at Cocotte. Sadly the standards have since dropped drastically
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.