HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Like Tree757Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2191
Master Member

Quite true indeed. There is also another popular food blogger who eats and shoots. Well, i find many of his recommendations questionable. Quite the contrary, what he rates as average turns out to be pretty good instead.

Lol. The "journalistic" integrity of a lot of these food review sites are questionable. Most will just post the nice things n not mention anything about the bad. Got 1 can even say the food nice, then say that it does not mean that he/she is recommending the place when someone commented that the place sucks. Pengz. Wanna be politically correct n not offend the restaurant, in case no more media invites the future? Hehe.

I just read them once in a while for the nice pics n top get a rough idea of the spread/theme.
thewiseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #2192
Greater Supremacy Member

Hi All,

Is kushinbo worth the price ?

I never ate Kushinbo before.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #2193

For you, any buffet will always be worth the price.
striker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #2194
Arch-Supremacy Member

For you, any buffet will always be worth the price.
Plus they serve foc water too :-P
Toons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #2195

Buffet @ Cafe 2000, M Hotel

Went for dinner on a weekday night.
The "Festive Seafood Extravaganza Buffet"
I apologize for the terrible quality of photos in advance.

Bread counter, steamed fish, honey baked ham + chestnut stuffing + char siew turkey (christmas special, probably) and roasted beef.

Only stupid people go for the bread in buffets (me). They have 2 choice of butterxmargarine, the soft brand one (salted) and anchor (unsalted, lchf fans rejoice). Many people went for the steamed fish surprisingly. I tried some and found it to be average tasting though. Their honey baked ham and chestnut stuffing is average, but jiang noms on the thick slice of ham damn songz. The char siew turkey was a waste of calories.

Had several plates of roasted beef, cooked at medium. The consistency wasn't there. Sometimes it felt more well done than medium, sometimes it was medium rare. Since it was thinly sliced I guess it cooled down pretty fast so be sure to devour your beef within a minute lmfao.

Salad bar, sushixsashimi, seafood pasta and siobaks.

Not shown in the pictures, but there were actually 3 types of cheese provided. Sushi spread is miserable, I know. Anyway, salmon sashimi was good but nothing worth raving about. Also, the sashimis wasn't replenished quickly during the peak hours so....

So what you do at the pasta corner is that you take whatever you want in a plate, pass it over to the guy behind the counter and come back in 5 minutes. They had 3 different types of sauces to choose from, one being the chilli crab sauce, tomato, and the last which I unfortunately cannot remember. Tried the pasta with the chilli crab sauce and I must say I like it!

SIOBAKS WAS SO SO SO SO GOOD. Right balance of fattiness and crispiness. Nuff said. Also, there was this pot of chilli crab along with the mantou. Tried the sauce of the chilli crab with the mantou.. chilli? Not sure if it's sweet sauce of chilli. Abort mission of eating chilli crab. Tried the steamed crabs though. So sweet and good! Oh there was roast duck too. Mediocre... If yan chuan roaster's duck is a 8, then this is a 2-3. OH OH OH there was satay too. Mediocre as well but idk why the couple beside my table keep spamming the satay. Siao weh.

Beef stew, seafood corner, slippery lobsters and yeah crab.

Beef stew was average. Didn't go back for seconds. The oysters were apparently a big hit with diners. Wiped out so quickly. Replenishment at a sad pace as usual. My companion commented that the oysters wasn't bad.

This slippery lobster is da bomb. 8/10, one of the better food selection out there. Black pepper huans, the gravy is good, the lobster is good. Must try!

Moving on to the incredibly limited selection of desserts. Ya got ice kachang station, some ice krim and a sad sad variety of cake that would make any dessert lover weep.

Ice krim was good. The chocolate and vanilla flavored ones had a rich flavour, leaving you wanting seconds. I like the green tea ones!

The cheese cake here was one of the worst I've tasted. I'm gonna cry. The cakes here aren't worth eating. Walau where's the log cake? Boh leh! Kana con. Also there's a chocolate fountain with a standard selection of fruit, marshmallow etc. Some chinese desserts like kuehs were also spotted (nobody took and it looked so lonely lmfao).

---------

Overall I spent about $130 for 2pax. Without the 20% discount (go read up on your own on the website ah), it would've been $160 or so. Considering the miserable spread and the quality of dishes, $65/pax was not worth it, let alone $80. Will I return again? Not in foreseeable future, but maybe with the $50 deals on groupon/deals.com. Maybe.
xberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #2196
Arch-Supremacy Member

Never try the durian paste? Most ppl will find out nice.

Btw, why lchf peeps like anchor butter?
Toons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #2197
High Supremacy Member

The good reviews were what I read from the bloq and other websites. In doing so, came across another placed called Todai at the Marina Bay Sands, touted to have the kind of spread longer than The Line. Anyone tried before?
I have been there a couple of times...

Each time is worse than the previous one...hahah

Again, they have a lot of variety but nothing special
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #2198
High Supremacy Member

Because it's from grass-fed cows...hahah
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #2199

Never try the durian paste? Most ppl will find out nice.
ooh i no rike durians! But my companion did try and didn't go for seconds so what do you think?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #2200
Arch-Supremacy Member

ooh i no rike durians! But my companion did try and didn't go for seconds so what do you think?
Your companion dun like sweet stuff?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #2201

Your companion dun like sweet stuff?
No wor. When we ate at straits cafe the whole table filled with durian pengat lmfao
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #2202
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi All,

the last time i tried , the standard dropped
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #2203

Hi All,

You can try their one hour lunch special @$23.90++ if I'm not wrong.
Dinner will be more expensive but slightly more varieties.
For me its an average can eat type of buffet, nothing special.
You have to try it out yourself.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #2204
Arch-Supremacy Member

No wor. When we ate at straits cafe the whole table filled with durian pengat lmfao
Yea, straits cafe's durian pengat is indeed very good. Tat n the crab legs are the reasons i go there, but the previous few trips, the crab legs were disappointing ...

Cafe 2k's one is fragrant, but too sweet for me n not pulpy.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #2205
High Supremacy Member

You can try their one hour lunch special @$23.90++ if I'm not wrong.
Dinner will be more expensive but slightly more varieties.
For me its an average can eat type of buffet, nothing special.
You have to try it out yourself.
That's where I get my quick sashimi fix - very worth it for lunch...hahah

I love their cold egg drop
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.