Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
service charge amount is dependable on the amount of the food prices. and gst is based on the subtotal of service charge + food price.

hence by right they are hand in hand, except that service charge is optional chargeable by the eatery.

i found the exact one. you can show those 2 restaurants i suppose..
since they charge u 50% of the food price only, the service charge should based on the discounted price too.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=2166

Yea, i did a bit of browsing n it does seem like service charge is actually an optional charge that the restaurants can choose to impose. This explains why some restaurants can opt not to impose a service charge. Also, the reply by IRAS stated 'You may impose a service charge (usually at 10%) based on the price of goods and services that you provide'. Note the use of words 'may' and 'usually at 10%'. This is not a legalistic reply, so 'may' != must :p

Since it is an optional charge not mandated by law, restaurants thus have a lot more leeway on it ... whether they want to impose it, n even how much to impose :eek: Becos of this, restaurants can actually get away with imposing the service charge on the full price rather than the discounted price ... as long as they charge GST on wat is actually paid, which is the service charge (regardless based on full or discount price) n the discounted price.

As for GST, its clear cut lar. If you encounter those merchants who charge GST on full price even though they are charging a discounted price, then just complain to IRAS lor. Your first link already said that the merchant is at fault n that consumers can get a refund.

keichi_k1

Master Member
Reaction score
How to get this promo price?? :s12:

anyone interested in The Edge pan pac marina on 9 april 6pm, 59nett per pax.... 2 slot open

Edge invites guests to embark on an oceanic adventure with culinary presentations enhanced with a succulent selection of seafood every Wednesday and Thursday evening for dinner.

Navigate seven live food theatres and relish new marine highlights including local favourites Singapore Chili Crab, grilled Sambal Stingray, Jumbo River Prawns in Garlic Butter and Oyster Omelette a la minute.

Presentations from different regions include freshly-shucked Oysters, Sushi and Sashimi, Alaskan King Crab and Salmon Tandoori. Guests looking to savour Western-style selections may enjoy Mediterranean Salt Baked Whole Salmon and Squid Ink Pasta.

duriand24

Reaction score
Review on Steamboat Buffet at Xian La Dao (香辣道) The Grandstand

Had dinner at the aforementioned restaurant yesterday. Bought coupon from deal.com at the 11th hour. No photo taken. If you are not familiar with The Grandstand, it is quite difficult to locate this restaurant at level 3. Have not been to The Grandstand for years and was surprised to see many new and hip restaurants sprung to live like The Dancing Crab, Jack's Place, Tung Lok, Ah Yat, etc, etc.

Xian La Dao seems to be a far cry from the pics I saw at deal.com. It is an a-la-carte steamboat buffet, originally priced at $28++. We paid $19.90 net from deal.com and an extra $4 for free flow of drinks, choice of Lime Juice and Ice Lemon Tea only. You may click the following for details.

http://www.deal.com.sg/deals/1090-n...-steamboat-buffet-xian-la-dao-grandstand-free

I was utterly disappointed with the ambience of the restaurant and the quality of the food. For almost the same price, the Indo buffet spread and quality at Bay Hotel was tons better! I ordered all the meat available on the menu, not much, only 4-5 meat items available, and the portion was pathetically thin sliced. It reminded me of the good old days Korean BBQ thinly sliced meat. For the second order, we repeated the order for pork, beef, mutton, and requested for double portion. The second order was more presentable with bigger slices of meat. I wonder why is that so.

Anyway, I have nothing much to talk about this place. Maybe it is a popular dining place during weekends for families living at the surrounding area. Many of the items appended in the deal.com aren't available like the crabs, mussels, abalone, short ribs, fried rice, mushrooms, etc, etc. Dessert is a derisory plate of watermelon which was replaced by honey dew. Deal.com indicated live prawns as part of the menu items, but I seriously think the prawns were already dead (for god knows how long) when served to us! They offered free manicure services after the meal which I "regretted" not trying.

My verdict: not recommended unless you have no other better choice. I would go for those steam boat buffet at Chinatown anytime over this!

robincheok

Reaction score
Just to addon, they also charge 10% service charge and gst after $19 +$4+10%+4%

Stay away from this place.........

Review on Steamboat Buffet at Xian La Dao (香辣道) The Grandstand

Had dinner at the aforementioned restaurant yesterday. Bought coupon from deal.com at the 11th hour. No photo taken. If you are not familiar with The Grandstand, it is quite difficult to locate this restaurant at level 3. Have not been to The Grandstand for years and was surprised to see many new and hip restaurants sprung to live like The Dancing Crab, Jack's Place, Tung Lok, Ah Yat, etc, etc.

Xian La Dao seems to be a far cry from the pics I saw at deal.com. It is an a-la-carte steamboat buffet, originally priced at $28++. We paid $19.90 net from deal.com and an extra $4 for free flow of drinks, choice of Lime Juice and Ice Lemon Tea only. You may click the following for details.

http://www.deal.com.sg/deals/1090-n...-steamboat-buffet-xian-la-dao-grandstand-free

I was utterly disappointed with the ambience of the restaurant and the quality of the food. For almost the same price, the Indo buffet spread and quality at Bay Hotel was tons better! I ordered all the meat available on the menu, not much, only 4-5 meat items available, and the portion was pathetically thin sliced. It reminded me of the good old days Korean BBQ thinly sliced meat. For the second order, we repeated the order for pork, beef, mutton, and requested for double portion. The second order was more presentable with bigger slices of meat. I wonder why is that so.

Anyway, I have nothing much to talk about this place. Maybe it is a popular dining place during weekends for families living at the surrounding area. Many of the items appended in the deal.com aren't available like the crabs, mussels, abalone, short ribs, fried rice, mushrooms, etc, etc. Dessert is a derisory plate of watermelon which was replaced by honey dew. Deal.com indicated live prawns as part of the menu items, but I seriously think the prawns were already dead (for god knows how long) when served to us! They offered free manicure services after the meal which I "regretted" not trying.

My verdict: not recommended unless you have no other better choice. I would go for those steam boat buffet at Chinatown anytime over this!

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today went 金滿地 kbb...
Quite disappointed at selection and taste.
The whole night, about 5-6 tables were occupied.
Quite plain and have to stack kim chi to it to at least give those meat some flavours.
Tried the tang hoon, not bad but finds it a little salty.
Overall for 24/pax... I think now SSK having a better deal at 24++

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Full house liao ... now i must thicken my face to change my reservation to 4 tables of 2 :s13:

Robin
Durian
Toons
Kahlan
Striker
Dennyz
Shalome
Jolleyuen
Izzit the usual spread huh?
Or it might become some Easter special?
Confirm still got lobster right? :p

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today went 金滿地 kbb...
Quite plain and have to stack kim chi to it to at least give those meat some flavours.

I actually like the place for their light marinate :s13:

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today went 金滿地 kbb...

I actually like the place for their light marinate :s13:

Really a case of one man's meat is another man's poison...hahah

Yah, I also like KBB for their lighter marinate :s13:

Old man cannot eat too much sweet stuff :o

dennyz

Reaction score
like what toons and carey mentioned, i also prefer lightly marinated
meat which go well with their *sometimes* slight salty tanghoon or veg.
been to quite a few korean bbq shops which i find their marinated meat
too sweet or salty and i gotta drink myself full to fight the thirst. hahahaha.

anyway everyone tastes differently. kekeke :s22:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dinner Buffet @ Sakura

Date. Mon 30 Mar
Time. 6.30pm
Loc. Clementi Woods Branch :s13:
Price. $28 via deal.com.sg voucher

Promos_Sakura.jpg

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To addon, marriot service was excellence, not only they will help you to grill the lobster with cheese, sometime when i was there, the beef tongue was not in the buffet, i will look for the chef and tell them"i am so sad i couldnt find my beef tongue today" they will smile and prepare some tongue just for me.

Sooo Goood that i just join their palate member today, going to do this once every month.

Lobster record 13 full lobster. till now i believe no one can beat this record. 😛
should have applied for Amex plat card.

comes with Palate and FAR

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every 2nd diner @ 50% off.

Monday – Crabs from around the world
Tuesday – Rotisserie Night
Wednesday and Thursday – Hokkaido Beef Night
Friday & Saturday – Weekend Lobster Retreat
Sunday – Sunday Family Brunch

what restaurant is that ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.