HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Like Tree757Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #7126
Arch-Supremacy Member

well.. that seems underwhelming. Reconsidering my options again now.

Anyways, is it just me, but do people actually like the cold crustaceans? The lobsters are rubbery, the crab meat is a little tough, the flavour isnt really there.

And the crab shell is the funniest part, its soft and yet, oddly strong. So when you try to break it, it bends and refuses to crack, wtf?
Well, seafood on ice is a good way to enjoy seafood IF it is fresh.

The sweetness of the seafood is not overwhelmed by any sauce. I like my chilli crabs, but no matter how nice the chilli sauce is, it makes the dish 'heavier' and you get jelat faster. I can eat a lot more crab if its just poached or steamed

Seafood on ice also tends to be 'fresher' compared to cooked seafood as there is no sauce to help 'cover up'. Eg, if a fish is not so fresh, the conventional wisdom will be to fry it or cook it with some sauce, whereas if it is fresh, then steaming it is the preferred method.

Hmmm, for nice lobsters on ice, you can try seasonal tastes. Barring some 'off' ones, the rest are pretty fresh. You get firm bouncy meat w a hint of sweetness. Of cos, its a buffet, so can't compare to those ala carte restaurants with live lobsters in tanks etc.
Old 22-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #7127
Master Member

colony and carousel booked, cant get seats for 3 at 630pm

gonna try this Jen buffet instead. But there seems to be 2, Makan@Jen (orchard gateway) and J65 at Tanglin.

Which one is the recommended buffet?

Last edited by SyraLeo; 22-10-2019 at 08:51 PM..
SyraLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #7128
Arch-Supremacy Member

ok gonna abandon Beach Road Kitchen, going Colony instead for sunday dinner.

Any good promos going on? I can only find 10% off for OCBC cards at getcardable.com, nothing really shows up anywhere else.

edit: forget it, forgot its a public holiday, no promos are valid haha

The good stuff like grilled lobsters are only available on fri n sat dinner wor. Personally, i will either go for the fri/sat seafood buffet w the 'works' or not at all

For the more 'quality' buffets like colony n carousel, you can get at most 10 to 15% discount nia.

Yea, this coming sat, sun n mon very sian for buffets lovers. Most places no promos due to PH.
Old 22-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #7129
Master Member

gonna try this Jen buffet instead. But there seems to be 2, Makan@Jen (orchard gateway) and J65 at Tanglin.

I have tried the Sunday brunch @ J65 Jen Tanglin.
It is reasonably good food at $58++
CPTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #7130
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well, jen is not in the same league as colony n carousel, but then again, the price will tell you tat

I prefer Makan@Jen > J65. The spread is smaller, but i find the food tastier. J65 has different themes on different nights though. More interesting in tat aspect? Btw, i am referring to dinner. I think i saw the menu for lunch @ J65 before n its pretty bad.

J65 Sunday brunch menu :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil...ch_2019(3).pdf

J65 Lunch menu *yucks* :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil..._Menu_2019.pdf

J65 dinner menu :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil...%20Menu(1).pdf

Makan Fri/Sat dinner menu :-

Makan rest of time dinner menu :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil...fet%20Menu.pdf
tomb likes this.

Last edited by Toons; 22-10-2019 at 09:10 PM..
Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #7131
Master Member

Well, jen is not in the same league as colony n carousel, but then again, the price will tell you tat

I prefer Makan@Jen > J65. The spread is smaller, but i find the food tastier. J65 has different themes on different nights though. More interesting in tat aspect? Btw, i am referring to dinner. I think i saw the menu for lunch @ J65 before n its pretty bad.

J65 Sunday brunch menu :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil...ch_2019(3).pdf

J65 Lunch menu *yucks* :-
https://www.hoteljen.com/uploadedFil..._Menu_2019.pdf

J65 dinner menu :-
"spread is smaller but food is tastier", i remember saying the same thing for Lime @ ParkRoyal.

thanks, now i know to avoid both Jen's haha.

booked the Edge, will go for Colony another time.
Old 22-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #7132
Arch-Supremacy Member

"spread is smaller but food is tastier", i remember saying the same thing for Lime @ ParkRoyal.

thanks, now i know to avoid both Jen's haha.

booked the Edge, will go for Colony another time.

Edge also not in same league as Colony n Carousel though > then both Jens.

1 thing good abt Edge is the large variety of food. Really a lot of choices. Too bad you going on Sun. If you like spicy food, their current sichun theme (end on Sat) is not bad. When i went last Fri, they had spicy bullfrog, la zi chix, cold liang fen n those chinna mala grilled fish. King crab legs some good, some lousy. Do remember to try the rum choc!
Old 22-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #7133
Master Member

Edge also not in same league as Colony n Carousel though > then both Jens.

1 thing good abt Edge is the large variety of food. Really a lot of choices. Too bad you going on Sun. If you like spicy food, their current sichun theme (end on Sat) is not bad. When i went last Fri, they had spicy bullfrog, la zi chix, cold liang fen n those chinna mala grilled fish. King crab legs some good, some lousy. Do remember to try the rum choc!
No choice, Colony and Carousel both fully booked, i think Carousel only has 8:30pm slots, gonna pass on that.

Sounds like not going on Sat is good cause i am pretty bad at handling spicy food.

In your opinion, what other buffets are in the same league as Colony and Carousel? I still have ample time to cancel booking.
Old 23-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #7134
High Supremacy Member

No choice, Colony and Carousel both fully booked, i think Carousel only has 8:30pm slots, gonna pass on that.

Sounds like not going on Sat is good cause i am pretty bad at handling spicy food.

In your opinion, what other buffets are in the same league as Colony and Carousel? I still have ample time to cancel booking.
Melt? It's pretty good and if you go for weekend dinner, they have the outdoor BBQ option
Old 23-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #7135
Arch-Supremacy Member

For me, Colony (Fri/Sat w grilled lobsters) n Carousel are overall the best buffets in SG. If $ not an issue, i will always recommend them. Of coz i only tried a bit of buffets nia. Those $100+ to $300ish sunday brunches n etc i can't comment liao coz i never try.

If there are certain specific requirements, eg, buffet w good wagyu, then maybe can consider 333's wed wagyu nites. If ambience, i like Clifford Pier but they currently serving only high tea buffet which i dun quite like.

Last edited by Toons; 23-10-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #7136
Master Member

Melt? It's pretty good and if you go for weekend dinner, they have the outdoor BBQ option
Been there before, the outdoor BBQ is sort of hidden. Only some paper signs and even then, it looked really shady.

Didn't really try anything from that section...

I like Melt, but i could be biased since i went during CNY.
Old 24-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #7137
Master Member

Hi Toons, was there foie gras at Clove when you went for the weekend dinner?
delson_tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #7138
Arch-Supremacy Member

Been there before, the outdoor BBQ is sort of hidden. Only some paper signs and even then, it looked really shady.

Didn't really try anything from that section...

I like Melt, but i could be biased since i went during CNY.
Yea, the bbq stn is at this pavilion thingy outside in the garden area. Plus they dun serve to your table, so a bit troublesome to go out to order n then go out again to collect.

I only find their indian section not bad, the rest of the food forgettable. Nice choc cake though.

Hi Toons, was there foie gras at Clove when you went for the weekend dinner?
Yes, foie gras on mini beef steak. Normally foie gras served w some sweet + sourish sauce w bread, but the foie gras plus beef combo actually works too. Quite nice ... in fact its the highlight of the buffet
Old 24-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #7139
Supremacy Member

For me, Colony (Fri/Sat w grilled lobsters) n Carousel are overall the best buffets in SG.
Town Restaurant @ Fullerton 可以吗? SCB some cards got 50% off 2 diners.
Old 24-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #7140

@toons

I saw that you managed to get vouchers to clove at 48 nett for a Sat dinner buffet. Can you share where to get it from pls?

Many thanks in advance!
niap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.