HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! - Part 3 (OT posts will be deleted/edited, repeat offenders will be Infracted)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #1396
Master Member

simi song?
jennette likes to eat pasta?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #1397
Honorary Member

simi song?
我怀念的

贝他特爱斯特 Number 28 jiejie!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #1398
High Supremacy Member

fellas, so which soya chix is the better one? anyway 2 thumbs up for wacky's report. swee pictures and make me lao nua esp on the pork knuckle.. how muchy isit?
i can't decide which one i like on the whole... sauce-wise i like the 1st one... probably because i prefer savoury den sweet sauce... chicken-wise 2nd and the one at chinatown fc both are equally tender... but the 2nd one i think more tasty so chicken-wise i prefer 2nd one... and price-wise 3rd one is cheapest so of cos it's best in terms of value...

hows the dumpling soup ? most of sg dumpling soup cmi.
think the dumpling soup is nice... the soup is tasty w/o being too salty... dumpling-wise is avg to above avg...

that seasme dessert looks like cement.
lol someone said the same thing too... think is twtan or toons...

and i think my garfield got kidnapped...

regards,
wacky

Last edited by wackykid; 03-04-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1399

Regarding the commotions in the earlier part of the day, I do not wish to see it again. I have issued out Infraction to the party involved.

Click to join >> HWZ's Makan Session
Old 03-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #1400
High Supremacy Member

extra time -- dinner...!

sinful food...

had to crop this pic else will sexpose ppl...

the fats and skin is damn nice...!!!

regards,
wacky
Where is this place?

Looks damn nice siah...now I got a craving for pork knuckles

Last edited by twtan14; 03-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Please do not quote all the pictures to save on screen space.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #1401

Where is this place?

Looks damn nice siah...now I got a craving for pork knuckles
Le Chasseur
31 New Bridge Road

Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1402

Here is my mini review of the foods we tasted yesterday at our Foods Recce at Chinatown. We started out at around 11am and proceeded to the first braised chicken store at Upper Cross Street.

First stop: Chew Kee Eating House for their braised chicken

8 Upper Cross Street
Tel: 62220507

The lady boss was kind enough to open the sliding window of the glass cabinet to let me take photo.

The verdict for this chicken is that it's not tender enough and the sauce is more salty but Kahlan like it because she usually ate with rice or noodle which goes well with the sight saltiness.

Prawn dumplings - I had expected it to be bigger but then at $1 for 3 pieces it's reasonable enough. Dumpling itself is not fantastic but the soup is oh so good. It's smooth tasting and sweetness make this one of the better dumpling soup I have tasted.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #1403

Next stop bring us to this store that I had last eaten there more than 10 years ago.

Second stop: Chiew Kee Noodle House for another braise chicken. According to the lady boss their shop is in operation for more than 60 years.

32 Upper Cross Street
Singapore 058339
Tel: 62213531

We again ordered half chicken. We found that the chicken is more tender than the first shop and the sauce has a sweetness to it. A few of us actually preferred this sweeter sauce.

As we were leaving, we saw this tray of freshly prepared braised chicken so hot from the kitchen.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1404

On our way to the next stop, we stopped by for some desserts.

Third stop: Mei Heong Yuen Desserts (味香园)

Yam paste (Or Ni) - Had only a tiny little spoon, the yam paste is not overly sweet and is smooth. As for the garnishing, the pumpkin and ginko nuts, Toons will have to tell us about it.

Sesame and Almond Snow Ice - Me and Wacky shared this. Due to the hot weather, the snow ice was already melting and it make the sesame one look like cement. The two flavours were not too milky nor is it too sweet.

The jelly below look like ice cubes and with the melting snow ice, I actually thought it's the real thing. Both the jellies I don't like it, preferred the "ikura" like thing we had from their Ion branch.

Mango with Pomelo - Kahlan and dennyz each had a bowl of this.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #1405
Great Supremacy Member

u got sit in the air con room to jiak ??
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #1406

Fourth stop: Chinatown Complex Food Centre

HongKong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle - The first think that hit us is the long queue and this took more than half an hour before our turn to order.

Blk 335 Smith Street, #02-127 Chinatown Complex Food Centre,

This half chicken cost only $7 compared to the other two which cost $13 for half. No wonder the queue is so long. We all agreed the chicken is tender and as for the sauce I have no impression because it's like so little that I couldn't tasted it.

Roast Pork is is yummy though I find the skin too thin but at least it's crispy.

We actually didn't want to order the Char Siew cause I told Toons it look not fatty enough but alas the boss heard wrongly and gave us the Char Siew. It still tasted tender but no shiok factor.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #1407

While having the chicken, we also ordered from this store: Zhong Guo La MianXiao Long Bao.

Blk 335 Smith Street
#02-135 Chinatown Complex Market
Singapore 050335

Xiao Long Bao

Szechuan Spicy Wanton

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #1408

Kahlan's friend joined at this point onward.

Then Toons ordered these:

Durian Tang Yuan

This one I am not sure what is the filling cause it's from the mix Tang Yuan bowl.

Then came this fish head dish. This "Song Yu" is fresh though it's a freshwater fish but it's just has too many bones.

Toons wanted to but the Cheese Rasin bun but it's sold out and the next batch is an hour later.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #1409
Supremacy Member

We tried 0.5 chix each from Yee Snack House, Chiew Kee Noodle House and Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chix in Smith St FC.

For me

Yee - not as tender as the other 2, savoury sauce, chix more flavourful compared to chiew, should be nicer with noodles/rice

Chiew - tender but chix slightly less flavourful compared to Yee, sweet sauce which was nicer than the savoury one at Yee, nicer chilli, tasted better on its own compared to Yee

HK - most tender of the 3, chix was quite flavourful, sauce was a mixture of sweet and savoury, but was tad too saltish. Cheapest of the 3 at only $7 for 0.5 chix compared to $12 at both other shops, but long, long queue as a reason.

The ideal combo will be the sauce of Chiew with the chix of HK. In terms of rating, it will be Chiew, HK, n then Yee for me. To be fair, all 3 stall are good n you prolly wouldn't be disappointed eating at any of the 3.

Btw, someone was saying tat the owners of Yee and Chiew were brothers or related. Fell out over some feud again, aka, the katong laksa n soy bean saga. Can really feel tat they are competing with each other. The lady boss of Chiew actually came over to tell us tat theirs was the original stall n anixously asked how their chix tasted after seeing tat we came from Yee, heehee.

The pork knuckles was abt $24 if i am not mistaken.

Today you going JB? If got any nice durian stalls, can taken down the addy for me? Thanks n enjoy your trip!
Kum Xia for the SWEE SWEE review mate I can't remember which stall I always eat bcos most of time is my navy chief tapao for us. MmMmmMMMmmmm

JB durian u can look under my thread, chocobelle posted a picture of the stall's namecard.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #1410

After leaving the Chinatown Complex Hawker Center without his Cheese Rasin bun, we proceed to our next stop.

Fifth stop - Good Morning Nanyang Cafe at Chinatown Point, we had drinks and some snacks like the below kaya toast which is good. By now most of us are quite full already so we make used of this place as a resting stop since it's so hot and humid outside. We were just wasting time so we can proceed to Dim Joy which Toons told us opens at 5pm.

133 New Bridge Road, #03-01 Chinatown Point
Tel: +65 8133 1882

LoveJade joins us from this point onward.

Last edited by twtan14; 03-05-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.