HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

calmex Abalone

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #46

point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.
Then drained weight is 255g means what. Cause i just bought it, super ex 135 sia...
tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

Then drained weight is 255g means what. Cause i just bought it, super ex 135 sia...
Drained weight means the abalones' weight minus the can and liquid they are in.
(^@^)" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #48
Master Member

point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.
Yes, your guideline is standards but only for American. Local or regional produce does not rely on your above standards.

Starlight, New Moon etc etc all having their own coding, you will no find your standards on their can of abalone.
gentoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #49
Supremacy Member

Yes, your guideline is standards but only for American. Local or regional produce does not rely on your above standards.

Starlight, New Moon etc etc all having their own coding, you will no find your standards on their can of abalone.
ish info from angmo site bah.. local i think most people go by... how many abalone per can.. 1? 1.5? 2?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
High Supremacy Member

any supermarkets selling calmex?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #51
Great Supremacy Member

very few , maybe cold storage
raven1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #52
High Supremacy Member

ntuc got wat.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #53
Master Member

I just bought mine California mexico (black can only) at $88.80 (Limited number) at Cold Storage (vivo). Free gift include "Xue Ha" 6 packs. Forgot the brand liao, given to my Mum0in-law.

I was considering the new moon XL abalone 454gm at $68 (NZL) and duno nice or not.

The moment I told my dad it is the new packaging for Calmex (wheel brand), he knew its good. He again dug from me $200 for ingredients for CNY dinner at home.

$$$ fly...away...

Last edited by gentoro; 10-01-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just bought mine Calmex (black can only) at $88.80 (Limited number) at Cold Storage (vivo). Free gift include "Xue Ha" 6 packs. Forgot the brand liao, given to my Mum0in-law.

I was considering the new moon XL abalone 454gm at $68 (NZL) and duno nice or not.

The moment I told my dad it is the new packaging for Calmex (wheel brand), he knew its good. He again dug from me $200 for ingredients for CNY dinner at home.

$$$ fly...away...
Calmex got black can? What's the diff?

$68 for NZ abalone sounds ex. So what's with the XL abalone? It's almost twice the price of normal NZ abalone.
(^@^)" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #55

was at the Shi Ma lu (queen st) shop, they are all selling the original package calmex at $125. anyone know which other super market sell it at a lower price ?
bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #56
Master Member

Above Califorina Mexico Abalone is not the real Original Calmex from Ocean Garden. Please see below.

http://www.oceangarden.com/

Predominantly, Calmex is the original best abalone are caught wild off the coast of Mexico/california border by "ocean garden"

California Mexico is another company "South China Sea Farming" also catching the same wild abalone from same area. Newly launched in late 2009, it got world renowned food critics "Mr Cai Lan" as ambassador for its abalone.

I took the buy because I trust the ambassador and also Dr Leslis Tay recommendation with thumb up.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #57
Master Member

Calmex got black can? What's the diff?

$68 for NZ abalone sounds ex. So what's with the XL abalone? It's almost twice the price of normal NZ abalone.
Calmex can is only pink.

California-Mexico brand have black & red. Black can contain is yellow lip abalone (best) and red can contain blue abalone larger. Usually 255gm weight.

New Moon NZ Abalone having larger size can at $68 weighing 455gm which I called it XL can.

Normal abalone standard weight best at 250-255gm.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #58
Great Supremacy Member

still prefer my calmex
raven1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #59
Supremacy Member

still prefer my calmex
jade abalone ho jiak bo?
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #60
Supremacy Member

Above Califorina Mexico Abalone is not the real Original Calmex from Ocean Garden. Please see below.

http://www.oceangarden.com/

Predominantly, Calmex is the original best abalone are caught wild off the coast of Mexico/california border by "ocean garden"

California Mexico is another company "South China Sea Farming" also catching the same wild abalone from same area. Newly launched in late 2009, it got world renowned food critics "Mr Cai Lan" as ambassador for its abalone.

I took the buy because I trust the ambassador and also Dr Leslis Tay recommendation with thumb up.
from the same regions in baja california. friend says the black can one is very tasty. may buy some give my father in law this cny

i'm trying another brand now and some other smaller sizes.. found something really tasty.. better than mexican ones or at least during my steam boat last nite had positive reviews from everyone there
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.