Supremacy Member

Wei Wei Shi Pin
威威食品
woodlands centre road, blk 4A food centre, #02-11

merrr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #152
Supremacy Member

Hainan Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee

The only plate with a lot of bee hoon and still tasted so good!
wenxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #153
High Supremacy Member

Firefly squid and asparagus from Kazu Sumiyaki

Old 30-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #154
Honorary Member

Tried Wingstop today
Boneless Wings in Atomic and Garlic Parmesan flavors
In total got warned by the staff 4 times that it's extremely spicy

The burning sensation in the mouth and tummy definitely shiok though
Old 31-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #155
Greater Supremacy Member

I got to agree with makeyourcaloriescount, omakase's burger patty is at the same time omakase is/was overrated, and for the same price you can get a bigger portion at fat boy's. meat packing district is still the best for me, but it has closed.
kampong boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #156
High Supremacy Member

I got to agree with makeyourcaloriescount, omakase's burger patty is at the same time omakase is/was overrated, and for the same price you can get a bigger portion at fat boy's. meat packing district is still the best for me, but it has closed.
If you consider all the things that has been written about it, yes, it is overrated. But online hype aside, it is one of the better burgers in terms of flavour at their price point. I agree that the portions are a tad small. Too bad for MPD. I liked their burger. But the meat they use are honestly, not OB standards. Fatboy's has mediocre beef patties.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #157

Arrow Food exploration at Lavender and Jalan Berseh

As we came out of the Lavender MRT Station one fine Saturday in May, the sky was cloudy but still bright; a perfect morning to start our recce of the Lavender and Jalan Berseh's food scene. Someone's caffeine addiction was acting up and so our first stop brought us to The Bravery Cafe, by the same folks who brought us The Plain and Ronin.

The Bravery Cafe
66 Horne Road
Singapore 209073

Opening Hours
Weekdays: 9am - 7pm
Weekends: 8am - 8pm
Closed on Tuesdays unless Public Holiday

The Dining Area was sparsely decorated and the whitewashed walls showing its age. Tables were made from plywood with an assortments of chair, bench and stool to sit on. One thing I like about this place was that the air conditioning was pretty cold.

Kitchen cum Cashier - Like the other two sister cafes, this joint also uses the same brand of Genovese coffee which are all displayed behind on the shelves.

The Menu was mainly made up of toasts, sandwiches, pancakes and a few others with a selections of coffee and tea.

Click to join >> HWZ's Makan Session
twtan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #158

Sandwiches, Almond Croissants and Cakes - Not a whole lot of selections but enough to fill the tummy up if you are not a fussy eater.

Not wanting to be burdened with full stomachs on our first stop, we opted to share two Almond Croissants among the four of us. The nutty fragrant assaulted our nostrils even before we started digging in. A sweet crusty shell enclosed a light buttery pastry, lending it an extra layer of texture and taste. I enjoyed this pastry a lot.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #159

Kahlan's Double Long Black coffee for the extra caffeine boost to last her for the day while Bunny and Jeremy had Latte.

I had the Ice Coffee with Mocha but there was just too many ice cubes in there and made stirring much harder than needed.

The Bill for our first stop came up to S$28.10.

As we emerged from the cool comfort of the cafe, it was raining cats and dogs outside.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #160

We slowly made our way along the sheltered corridors of the shophouses toward the bus stop to our next destination. Thank goodness the rain had subsided to a drizzle when we reached Top 33 Kopitiam, the coffeeshop that housed the Sungei Road Laksa (结霜桥叻沙) stall. After hearing all the raves about the laksa here, it was my first time to try it. How does it turned out? Read on.

Sungei Road Laksa (结霜桥叻沙)
Block 27, Jalan Berseh
#01-100, Top 33 Kopitiam
Singapore 200027
Operating hours:9am – 6pm
Closed: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month

Is this the owner Mr Wong? I can't tell for sure if it's him as I have never been here before until that day.

Four bowls of Laksa, one without hum (Cockles). No chopsticks provided as the noodles had been trimmed short so you just scooped them up with the gravy using the spoon. The gravy here is light unlike the heavy laksa gravy you get elsewhere but the flavours of the spices and coconut were all in there. Although the $2 portion was a little small for a guy like me, it was one of the better laksa I had.

Just a suggestion, if the S$2 bowl is not enough for you, order two S$2 bowls instead of a bowl of the S$3 one as its quantity wasn't really a lot more.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #161

A brief walk further up ahead brought us to the Jalan Berseh Food Centre, which was a little quiet for an early Saturday afternoon as not many stalls were open for business. Walking around the two storey hawker centre, we came across this stall called Lao Liang Pig Trotter Jelly & Shark Meat. As I have never eaten Pig Trotter Jelly (猪脚冻) before, we decided to gave this stall a try.

Lao Liang Pig Trotter Jelly & Shark Meat
166 Jalan Besar
#02-37, Jalan Berseh Food Centre
Opening Hours: 11am to 3pm, closed on Mondays

The lady boss served us the Pig Trotter Jelly & Shark Meat and proceeded to explain how they were made, of course not in details since they rather let the recipes go “extinct” than to sell it.

Pig Trotter Jelly was made from pork trotters which are stewed for many hours to turn the collagen into gelatin. This was then left to set and chill in the fridge for up to a day without the use of additives. And the result was chilled pork trotter frozen in a jelly-like gelatin much like agar agar. This is best eaten with the accompanying spicy sour homemade chilli sauce.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #162

Plain boiled Shark Meat was a little springy (or Q) to the bite. Eaten by itself, there wasn't much of a taste. The flavours only hit you when you dip it into the provided plum based chilli sauce that was liberally sprinkled with white sesame seeds. One of the main ingredient in the homemade sauce was preserved plum and they have to be aged for 2 to 3 years before it can be turned in plum sauce.

I am not sure which stall Jeremy bought the Crocodile Soup from. I can't remembered if I had eaten crocodile soup before but this herbal based soup wasn't too bad and the meat tasted a little like chicken actually.

PS: After searching the internet for the likely stall, the crocodile soup should be from this unit - Fu He Turtle Soup (Stall #02-40), just opposite the Lao Liang Pig Trotter Jelly & Shark Meat stall.

Though the rain had long ceased, the weather was still very humid and we were just longing for a nice cool place to rest and sip the drinks. Luckily to reach The Tiramisu Hero Cafe, it doesn't entailed a long walk under the hot sun like our Malacca trip which is coming up soon if I can find the time to edit and post the pictures up.

The Tiramisu Hero Cafe
121 Tyrwhitt Road
Singapore 207548

Opening Hours:
Sun-Tue: 11am - 10pm
(Closed on Wed)

As you can see, the indoor Seating Area was pretty small and packed with diners while the alfresco seating area was totally empty.

tomb likes this.

Last edited by twtan14; 31-07-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Old 31-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #163

Ordering cum Payment Counter - Order here and make the payment at the same time since there was only one staff manning the counter.

The Tiramisu Hero Cafe's Menu - Though there were main courses and starters, we went for their drinks and desserts since none of us were hungry after the various stops beforehand.

Since the cafe was named The Tiramisu Hero, how can there be no Tiramisu? Inside the fridge were three shelves of different flavours of the dessert for selection.

Seating Area - A table made of recycled woods paired with an assortments of chair and stool.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #164

Sir Antonio drawings on the walls and ceiling. And just who is Sir Antonio, you might ask. Sir Antonio was a Roman street cat by birth. Growing up right behind the café that brews the best coffee in the world.

Sir Antonio hangs on the wall on peaceful days. But did you know that underneath the head there is an opening where you can slot your head into and turn yourself into a "cat"?

The moment you stepped into the cafe, just near the entrance on both sides of the wall were Souvenirs and Costume Jewelleries you can purchase.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #165

This is the original flavour Mommahero Tiramisu (S$7.50) which also comes in Strawberry, Lemon, Lemon Lavender, Cinnamon, Chocolate, Milo, Horlicks and Ovaltine flavours. Only the original one came with alcohol as one of the ingredient.

We shared this Finn Muddy Mud Pie (S$8.90) which boasted a thick slab chocolate ice cream on a bed of oreo cookies.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.