Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xkeijix

Reaction score
What the diff between Bordeau Vs Burgundy Red Wine?

I new to this so can any of the expert enlighten me??

nethdale

Reaction score
exactly! Chapoutier is a very good producer that makes excellent wines across the board. This wine is inexpensive, readily available at FP and tastes better than the vast majority of sub $25 supermarket type of wines.

Hi ikileo,

To narrow my search, does it also readily available at finese? Thanks in advance.

[C]hEWy

Reaction score

Disclaimer first, I'm not an expert.

Burgundy are generally mainly lighter reds, like ur Pinot noir.. don't get me wrong, I love Burgundy wines.. like the M. Chapoutier and my fav is Grevy chambertin.. Smooth, complex and well-balanced..

Bordeaux, u have a huge range from light to the heavy weights.. Great if ur wine paring across a degustation menu.. I love St Julien and St Emilion..

Just my 2 cents..

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They are made in 2 very distinct regions with each having their own different soil, climate and legally permitted grapes; each with their own grape characters.

To keep it simple the permitted red grapes for the 2 regions are:

Burgundy: Pinot Noir
Bordeaux: Primarily Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot based wines blended with other permitted grapes.

Pinot noir in comparison is more lightweight in body than a bordeaux blend but pinot is still the darling of wine enthusiasts because of its complexity, elegance and ageworthiness.

Bdx blends start off richer and fuller bodied with riper fruits and ages well too. It is generally more structured and tannic than a pinot noir.

The world of Burgundy can be confusing for the Newbie and you need to navigate not only the producers but also the vineyard plots, which can be owned by multiple producers. Plus it can start quite expensive already due to the premium nature.

If you are a bit tight on budget you can start with pinot noir in new Zealand. If you need some recommendations let me know. But also if you need entry burg recommendations let me know too :)

nethdale

Reaction score
Yes it is. Enjoy!

Hi Ikileo,

Thanks for your reply. Just came back from Finese, noticed in fact there are variants i.e. 2013 and 2014. Any difference? Price wise is the same but seems like 2014 is more popular than 2013? Thanks.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Ikileo,

Thanks for your reply. Just came back from Finese, noticed in fact there are variants i.e. 2013 and 2014. Any difference? Price wise is the same but seems like 2014 is more popular than 2013? Thanks.

Honestly both are fine. Chill it down a little (30 mins in fridge) and give it a bit of time to breathe in the glass like 15 mins

sinkiedk

Master Member
Reaction score
They are made in 2 very distinct regions with each having their own different soil, climate and legally permitted grapes; each with their own grape characters.

To keep it simple the permitted red grapes for the 2 regions are:

Burgundy: Pinot Noir
Bordeaux: Primarily Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot based wines blended with other permitted grapes.

Pinot noir in comparison is more lightweight in body than a bordeaux blend but pinot is still the darling of wine enthusiasts because of its complexity, elegance and ageworthiness.

Bdx blends start off richer and fuller bodied with riper fruits and ages well too. It is generally more structured and tannic than a pinot noir.

The world of Burgundy can be confusing for the Newbie and you need to navigate not only the producers but also the vineyard plots, which can be owned by multiple producers. Plus it can start quite expensive already due to the premium nature.

If you are a bit tight on budget you can start with pinot noir in new Zealand. If you need some recommendations let me know. But also if you need entry burg recommendations let me know too :)
Ikileo: Would you able to recommend for burgundy? I really enjoyed the Chapoutier one thus far

Sent from underneath my smelly blanket with duck prints using GAGT

[C]hEWy

Reaction score
Happy Weekend Everyone!!
7E2B3AE6-243A-445E-9F8A-AF420958B53B_zpsmjhmh21c.jpg

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ikileo: Would you able to recommend for burgundy? I really enjoyed the Chapoutier one thus far

just to clarify, Chapoutier is a Rhone producer; not a burgundy producer.

Red wines in the Rhone Valley are usually based around these 3 varieties: Syrah (aka Shiraz), Grenache and Mourvedre (pronounced 'more-ved')

But just to cover your bases here is a very readily available and widely accessible producers from the Rhone Valley.

Rhone: E Guigal Cotes du Rhone - Guigal is a big and extremely well known producer who makes incredible wines at the super top tier. His entry level Cotes du Rhone wines is a good introduction to the wines of the Rhone valley. Most wine shops like Bottles & Bottles, 1855, Isetan supermarket and even some online wine merchants and stock them. They are inexpensive. They just need a bit of air or decanting and chilling down slightly before drinking. Try it with any kind of roasted meat or red meats; those work fine.

E_Guigal_Cote_Du_Rhone_Red_c2e00e76-c902-4835-9d0a-cbb0fad2aa71_grande.png

For burgundy are you willing to make your purchase outside of Fairprice Finest? Do you know of any wine shops that are near you home or work area? From there I can give a better recommendation.

nethdale

Reaction score
Honestly both are fine. Chill it down a little (30 mins in fridge) and give it a bit of time to breathe in the glass like 15 mins

Hi Ikileo,

I was surprised to find 2010 Chapoutier in AMK FP yesterday. I can't resist the temptation to buy despite I am not a fan of wine. :s13: I can foresee myself in next few days buying again if there is 2010. I noticed wines imported by Culina seems worth buying, just like their Torres from Spain, can't really recall the exact name.

sinkiedk

Master Member
Reaction score
just to clarify, Chapoutier is a Rhone producer; not a burgundy producer.

Red wines in the Rhone Valley are usually based around these 3 varieties: Syrah (aka Shiraz), Grenache and Mourvedre (pronounced 'more-ved')

But just to cover your bases here is a very readily available and widely accessible producers from the Rhone Valley.

Rhone: E Guigal Cotes du Rhone - Guigal is a big and extremely well known producer who makes incredible wines at the super top tier. His entry level Cotes du Rhone wines is a good introduction to the wines of the Rhone valley. Most wine shops like Bottles & Bottles, 1855, Isetan supermarket and even some online wine merchants and stock them. They are inexpensive. They just need a bit of air or decanting and chilling down slightly before drinking. Try it with any kind of roasted meat or red meats; those work fine.

E_Guigal_Cote_Du_Rhone_Red_c2e00e76-c902-4835-9d0a-cbb0fad2aa71_grande.png

For burgundy are you willing to make your purchase outside of Fairprice Finest? Do you know of any wine shops that are near you home or work area? From there I can give a better recommendation.
i usually get from bottles and bottles other than ntuc/cold storage

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Ikileo,

I was surprised to find 2010 Chapoutier in AMK FP yesterday. I can't resist the temptation to buy despite I am not a fan of wine. :s13: I can foresee myself in next few days buying again if there is 2010. I noticed wines imported by Culina seems worth buying, just like their Torres from Spain, can't really recall the exact name.

Culina is the official importer and distributor of Torres & Chapoutier and a few more producers.

Chapoutier makes a vast range of wines from the $30 per bottle to $500 per bottle across different type of soils and subregions of the rhone valley.

They all need a bit of air and chill down a little too. The Chapoutier Petite Ruche Cotes du Rhone is their basic Rhone wine and a good introduction to their label.

Torres, similarly makes a wide range of wines too. The Gran Coronas is a decent mid-tier wine for a nice occasion. same thing: chill & air. They are great with food; even stuff that a little spicy is fine.

Dexter71

Reaction score

Had a recent gathering with my wine bros and we drank the following with tomahawk, cheese , salami and jamon...yum yum

The wines are as follows:
Vasse Felix Heytesbury 2003
Poggione Brunello di Montalcino 2011
Cullen Madeline 2007
Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva 2004
Castello di Amarosa Pinot Noir 2014

VF is ultra smooth, elegant and very balanced wine with long after taste. Palate still feels fruity fresh and comes with blue berries notes.

Poggione BdM is somewhat too early for prime time but nonetheless notes of dry fruit and tabacco emerges from the palate. I feel its will be better in 2-3 more years as acidity is somewhat strong.

Cullen Madeline emits strong perfume aroma upon nosing and does exudes elegance and class. The taste is smooth well balanced with velvety smooth tannins to accompany you on a polite long finish without coming across as too in your face. Nice date wine to impress your partners lol

Muga Prado has good nosing too with strong intense aroma of cedar, berries and fruits but however the tannins are still edgy at this point. So we think it might be we never decant it or its still too young for a 2004 vintage. I went away disappointed because I am the owner of this bottle. I would say average at best versus other Riojas I had.

Castello Pinot from Napa is a supposedly a fresh young pinot. WE had this first but it feels heavy and rich for a Pinot so much that we thought it is a labeling mistake LOL. It tasted more like a syrah to some of us. But to give it some credit for being the juvenile here, it does exceeded our expectation for such a young light wine.

Happy Drinking for CNY!!

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Had a recent gathering with my wine bros and we drank the following with tomahawk, cheese , salami and jamon...yum yum

The wines are as follows:
Vasse Felix Heytesbury 2003
Poggione Brunello di Montalcino 2011
Cullen Madeline 2007
Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva 2004
Castello di Amarosa Pinot Noir 2014

VF is ultra smooth, elegant and very balanced wine with long after taste. Palate still feels fruity fresh and comes with blue berries notes.

Poggione BdM is somewhat too early for prime time but nonetheless notes of dry fruit and tabacco emerges from the palate. I feel its will be better in 2-3 more years as acidity is somewhat strong.

Cullen Madeline emits strong perfume aroma upon nosing and does exudes elegance and class. The taste is smooth well balanced with velvety smooth tannins to accompany you on a polite long finish without coming across as too in your face. Nice date wine to impress your partners lol

Muga Prado has good nosing too with strong intense aroma of cedar, berries and fruits but however the tannins are still edgy at this point. So we think it might be we never decant it or its still too young for a 2004 vintage. I went away disappointed because I am the owner of this bottle. I would say average at best versus other Riojas I had.

Castello Pinot from Napa is a supposedly a fresh young pinot. WE had this first but it feels heavy and rich for a Pinot so much that we thought it is a labeling mistake LOL. It tasted more like a syrah to some of us. But to give it some credit for being the juvenile here, it does exceeded our expectation for such a young light wine.

Happy Drinking for CNY!!

Thanks for the sharing! Looks great! I have always wanted to try the Heytesbury as I have heard alot about it.

yeah a lot of california pinot are done in a very rich style as with their climate and also the US market tends to like that style. There is a growing number of cali producers that make it in a more elegant and burgundy style like Au Bon Climat. They do an incredible job to make delicious, ageworthy Cali pinots that bear the elegance of their burgundian counterparts yet still have some of that cali fruit. They're readily available at 1855.

Were these wines drunk immediately after opening? or was there time to decant and breathe? Last but not least, increasingly I chilling my reds down to 18-20C to really get that nice temp. you should try that too!

Dexter71

Reaction score
Only Vasse and Poggione were Decanted

Thanks for your insight on Napa Pinots.

Will Oregon pinots be similar as well?

I am used to NZ pinot taste.

Regards

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only Vasse and Poggione were Decanted

Thanks for your insight on Napa Pinots.

Will Oregon pinots be similar as well?

I am used to NZ pinot taste.

Regards

prado could use a decant. it's definitely not a pop 'n' pour type of wine.

Oregon will be more cool climate vs Napa and less over the top richness (in general) this varies from producer to producer.

which NZ pinots do you typically drink?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.