HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wine

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

perhaps can organise a simple wine appreciation/drinking session?
we'll see...maybe during december...now i am still studying for exams.

as for 2006 Cascabel Monastrell, where would you be able to find it?
ikileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #32

I bought it with vineyardsdirect.com.sg as they bring in quite good Aussie labels. I bought the cascabel due to some party that i was doing at my place so bought 1/2 dozen bottles, not bad as they delivered to my doorstep.
Visual_Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

so just some feedback, what other articles would you like to see on this thread?

or do u have some wine under $25 you would like me to try first?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #34
Supremacy Member

Antinori, Chateau are quite good brands. De Bortoli is also not bad, and more economical.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

Anyone tried Chateau Petrus before? Is the taste worth its price?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

where can it be found?

are u talking about Château La Fleur-Pétrus? 'cos those are expensive. and there's regular Chateau Petrus.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #37

anyone knw wher to get Drayton red wine (Aus hunter valley) in sg?
nenekochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #38
Master Member

http://www.melbournebottleshop.com.au
i think i go to this shop.. near where i stay..

thinking of buying one penfolds to share among my frds to go before i leave this place.. , maybe will lug the tokay back..
since u're in Australia, why don't you just get some friends, rent a car for a day, drive out to the vineyards and go tasting at the various cellar doors. renting a car plus fuel for a day should be less than AUD100 - if you split it amongst 4 friends, it's cheap and it's a fun way to spend a sat or a sunday.

there are many many good vineyards out there which are small and only sell at cellar doors. and you also get to taste before you buy. and generally, the bottles are quite nicely priced.

I went to the hunter valley area while I was there. Didn't do the Yarra or the mornington peninsular side so I don't know which of the vineyards there are worth going to. But they are normally quite close together in clusters, so just drive from one to the next and taste away.

and if you are just starting out, don't buy expensive wines yet because price increases exponentially when compared to quality. stick to something in the $20-50 range and find out what you like by experimenting with various grapes, area and vineyard. you can do that a lot more cost efficiently by trying the entry level wines.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just a heads up:

This weekend at the Suntec Convention Centre there will be the Food Safari and there will also be wine. I will be there to see what wines they have in store. But I know for sure one of the distributors/importers of Spanish wines will be there, Solymer Asia. Do go around and explore and try out the different wines from different countries other than France and Australia. Expand your palate. Spain is the 3rd largest producer of wines in the world and do try their native grape 'Tempranillo', it's delicious. And also their Spanish 'champagne' called Cava.

There will also be other Spanish food there as well, they informed me they are also show casing Spanish cheese and Iberico Jamon (pronounced HA-MON). it's cured ham that's soooo delicious, but expensive.

On a side note, I'll be updating the wine blog today (address is on the first post) for a new entry I tried on Sunday.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #40
Supremacy Member

ikileo, i'm looking for a red wine which has got fruity taste and also a bit of
sweet taste..what do u recommend ?

thks !
Jo_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

since u're in Australia, why don't you just get some friends, rent a car for a day, drive out to the vineyards and go tasting at the various cellar doors. renting a car plus fuel for a day should be less than AUD100 - if you split it amongst 4 friends, it's cheap and it's a fun way to spend a sat or a sunday.

there are many many good vineyards out there which are small and only sell at cellar doors. and you also get to taste before you buy. and generally, the bottles are quite nicely priced.

I went to the hunter valley area while I was there. Didn't do the Yarra or the mornington peninsular side so I don't know which of the vineyards there are worth going to. But they are normally quite close together in clusters, so just drive from one to the next and taste away.

and if you are just starting out, don't buy expensive wines yet because price increases exponentially when compared to quality. stick to something in the $20-50 range and find out what you like by experimenting with various grapes, area and vineyard. you can do that a lot more cost efficiently by trying the entry level wines.
don't many PR living in OZ like smallkuku have a car. can just drive their car to winery get wines, that is if the city he is in are close to vineyards.

its great living in countries like OZ that produce wine. envy those living near winery. the closest winery is like 4-6hrs away from me.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

ikileo, i'm looking for a red wine which has got fruity taste and also a bit of
sweet taste..what do u recommend ?

thks !
i assume you're looking for something more 'new world' with some bold fruit on the palate. Then you can just try Shiraz from Australia. Look for wines from the Barossa Valley, those tend to be more of a 'fruit bomb' as they call it.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

i assume you're looking for something more 'new world' with some bold fruit on the palate. Then you can just try Shiraz from Australia. Look for wines from the Barossa Valley, those tend to be more of a 'fruit bomb' as they call it.
thank u guru !
Jo_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

not guru...just a fan of wine. we're all learning and expanding our wine palates together.

on another note, i'm curious if i were to organize a wine tasting sessios sometime in december (after my exams) how many of you would be interested?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #45
High Supremacy Member

after the pics at your blog. i feel like having some wine as well
fakeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.