Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
had a Christmas dinner with my family's church friends last night at home. cooked up a storm.
someone brought a 2005 Chapel Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, McLaren Vale, Australia.

maybe it wasn't allowed to aereate that much but overall i didn't feel this was a very good wine, considering that Chapel Hill is a good producer. I felt a lack of concentration on the palate, but tasted better with the food. good thing i didn't pay for it haha....

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick question. Want a wine for a christmas party. What to buy? At taka now. Below 50 dollars preferred

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if it's not too late, go to Enoteca at the basement in front of Cold Storage. get the bottle of Torrontes. or a sparkling wine from burgundy

kangzkangz

Reaction score
ikileo, totally agree with you that one has to taste the wine to assess its value.

Had a Mavrathiro on Christmas eve with friends. FYI, Mavrathiro is a native Greek varietal which is sun-dried before going through the wine press and vinification. We love the charming sweetness of the wine and its well-balanced structure.

My friends and I filtered out the sediments before drinking... guess what? We got more than 4 teaspoons of jammy sediments. Out of fun, we tried the wine sediments crackers and even turkey ham... it turned out the sweetness of the sediments tasted well with the 'savouriness' of the ham.

It was the most interesting drinking session I had for 2010! haha

Last edited:

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not a wine drinker but picked up wine recently and thought it tastes quite good. Its called "Aleatica Sovana Denominazione Di Origine Controllata Superiore 2008 Fattoria Aldobrandesca" (sorry, no idea whats the name so typed everything on the label :) )

Its ard 90bucks at duty free shop. Am wondering if there are cheaper alternative that tastes similar (abit sweet and very smooth) or where can I find it in local stores?

kangzkangz

Reaction score
Hi hoks,

Not sure it will taste similar but a Rosemount Traminer Riesling from local supermarkets is always a crowd-pleaser. It is slightly sweet with loads of fruit aromas. Should cost less than 30 bucks now.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not a wine drinker but picked up wine recently and thought it tastes quite good. Its called "Aleatica Sovana Denominazione Di Origine Controllata Superiore 2008 Fattoria Aldobrandesca" (sorry, no idea whats the name so typed everything on the label :) )

Its ard 90bucks at duty free shop. Am wondering if there are cheaper alternative that tastes similar (abit sweet and very smooth) or where can I find it in local stores?

the wine you had is produced by 'Fattoria Aldobrandesca' of the Sovana region. It is made from 100% Aleatica grapes, a native species. the Denominazione etc... is just to indicate that this region is protected by wine laws and regulation. This producer/vineyard is owned by the famous italian wine making company: Antinori, which makes some of the best wines in Tuscany.

the reason why it is sweet is due to the fact that these grapes are left on the branch until they are very ripe, then half of them gets fermented while the other half get sun dried to intensify the sugar concentration in the wines.

there are other styles of wine similar to this, most famously are the italian wines from the veneto region such as Valpolicella and Amarone, but the latter can easily cost more than your Fattoria Aldobrandesca.

there are some new world wines made in that style, such as those produced by the australian producer: Mitolo. The Mitolo Jester Shiraz and the more expensive Mitolo Serpico have a portion of their grapes dried before fermentation. The Jester is around $50 and the Serpico is about $90. If you have the money, go for the Serpico. THey can be found at Crystal Wines.

Or if u want, just search around for Amarone wines.

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight and advice, will give the recommendations a try once I finish my 2 bottles :)

Went to Crystal Wine website n there are like one million types of different wines....

reign

Reaction score
Hi Bro Nautilus,

Today went to TOTT at Bukit Timah (same building to Perfomance motor), saw the Argon Container at $38.00. This Might be the one u might be looking for extending the life of the wine after opening. WINESaVE.

Sorry not sure how to insert the pic.

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what did u guys drink over the Christmas weekend and what do you intend to drink to usher in the new year?

i draw plonk during Christmas haha...2008 Jacob's Creek Cabernet Sauvignon and a sub-par red burgundy. Only the 2005 Chapel Hill Cabernet from Australia was not bad. All these were wines that people brought to the various gathering i attended.

for my belated anniversary dinner with my gf we had both half bottles of NV Pierre Peters Blanc des Blancs Grand Cru Cuvee Reserve Champagne and a 2001 Chateau Chasse-Spleen.

going to watch Tron now. Meeting my friend for dinner at Plaza Sing first, going to pop by C4 to see what wine to buy for dinner.

I haven't planned what I want to drink for my family New Years gathering. Probably use one of the Piper Heidseck champagnes that someone bought for my family.

but more importantly: what about YOU?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did not go to C4 in the end. went to 1855 at Triple One, cos watched movie at Cineleisure.

had a nice cheap and filling dinner at the Imperial Treasure Hong Kong casual eatery at Tripe One. Bought a bottle of 2009 Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand. You can drink at the eatery but I think you have to bring your own glasses, which is what I did.

very nice sauv blanc, rich, vibrant, layers of flavours and good mouthfeel. went well with the baked rice. If you want a nice and relatively affordable sauv blanc, this is a very good choice at the low $30s. 13.5% alc but no trace of the heat despite drinking it unchilled.

Delusion_Disorder

Reaction score
did not go to C4 in the end. went to 1855 at Triple One, cos watched movie at Cineleisure.

had a nice cheap and filling dinner at the Imperial Treasure Hong Kong casual eatery at Tripe One. Bought a bottle of 2009 Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand. You can drink at the eatery but I think you have to bring your own glasses, which is what I did.

very nice sauv blanc, rich, vibrant, layers of flavours and good mouthfeel. went well with the baked rice. If you want a nice and relatively affordable sauv blanc, this is a very good choice at the low $30s. 13.5% alc but no trace of the heat despite drinking it unchilled.
You must be VIP in Imp.Treasure as you can even bring your own bottle / glass & drinking wine in the fast food section...

Might I know if any issue ie. any auntie or manager came to you on this ? :)

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You must be VIP in Imp.Treasure as you can even bring your own bottle / glass & drinking wine in the fast food section...

Might I know if any issue ie. any auntie or manager came to you on this ? :)

no..no issue. and not vip lah.

imperial treasure group of restaurants carry the same no-corkage policy from the no-frills 'Windows of Hong Kong' to their upmarket 'Super Peking Duck' at Paragon. My only worry for the 'Windows of Hong Kong' was that they may not have wine glasses on hand (although they could easily borrow from the Imperial Treasure Steamboat just adjacent to them). that's why i brought my glasses just in case.

but my friend and i checked with the staff first before proceeding to buy the wine and drinking it there. next time you can all try. very nice to drink wine with baked rice.

Delusion_Disorder

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind advice.
Would think they might be more relax in the non-rush hours for the fastfood section....

Might not be the same in those rush hours like weekdays lunch time... :)

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah i went to the hong kong one around 7+, close to 8pm. about 60%-70% full, so no problem. placed our order, sat down and cracked open a bottle of wine.

if you want to try something different to celebrate the new year, head over to the store/restaurant with the best selection of German wines: MAGMA at Bukit Pasoh Road (opp Outram Park MRT) and try their German Sparkling Wine!

I am on their mailing list and one of their wines won Best Sparkling under $30 at the LianHe Wine Asia Competition. It costs $28 and I think that should be a very accessible price for all of us to try sparkling wine that is NOT champagne.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ooh...nice wine. the Bahans should be right for drinking about now.
Which Robert Weil Riesling did you drink? Spatlese? Auslese? or even sweeter?

my new years dim sum brunch today with family and family friends was your regular Piper Heidseck non vintage champagne that my uncle gave my family for Christmas. Nice tasting, but nothing profound.

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
@delusion_disorder: How was the Bahans? Did you take any notes of the wine?

Delusion_Disorder

Reaction score
@ikileo
It was a 2006 KG Auslese, even the vintage is just so so / a bit too young , still have nice balance with mineral (nose smells like gasoline ) / sweetness / acidity. I still have few bottles (HV) ...so really tried to see how it is / aging potential .

DSCF6393-1.jpg

The bubblies was interesting...it tasted much better than any brut vintage / brut NV before. I was told that ....2003 was a very difficult vintage for champagne but Louis Roederer still managed to produce vintage champagne for 2003. As there is no Cristal (their flagship with price tag close to S$500 each ) for 2003, all the best cru gone to the 2003 vintage champagne....I tried to google any similar story / gossip about this bottle but no luck so far. :)

@ nautilus
99 Bahans my brief TN
The nose was stunning, complex, powerful with all typical Pessac Leognon : earthy / mineral / tobacco / red fruit.
Medium body , on palate and aftertast was very smooth
I would say it is not fully opened yet even this 99 vintage is ready to drink now but as per the colour / rim , it can be even better next 18-36 months. :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.