HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Would you order food with others nearby to save on delivery costs?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PrincZe
  • 1 Post By Taloona

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #1

Would you order food with others nearby to save on delivery costs?

I have ordered a few times from apps since wfh but the delivery fee is so painful, I've taken up cooking, but let's just say rice and sauce everyday gets old fast. Instead of trying to shift the additional cost around riders/stalls/app, why not just spread it among the people ordering?

A bit of coordination among strangers / neighbours can result in a win-win-win situation, you might even get to meet your neighbours for the first time!

If enough people think this is a good idea, I'll make an app or something.
SplitDiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #2

I have ordered a few times from apps since wfh but the delivery fee is so painful, I've taken up cooking, but let's just say rice and sauce everyday gets old fast. Instead of trying to shift the additional cost around riders/stalls/app, why not just spread it among the people ordering?

A bit of coordination among strangers / neighbours can result in a win-win-win situation, you might even get to meet your neighbours for the first time!

If enough people think this is a good idea, I'll make an app or something.
yes, that will be good. but you have to think about if the neighbours suddenly cancel.

and search around who to want to order food
SplitDiscount likes this.
PrincZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #4

We have group buy for lunch, dinner and snacks in my condo since April.

One resident started the chat group and she was the main organiser for the first few rounds. Subsequently, other residents also chipped in to be the organisers.

We had the opportunity to try different food and save on delivery fees, some suppliers even gave us group discount.

There were a few occasions when some residents cancelled their order at the last minute and they were quickly warned not to do it again. Luckily, their orders were taken over by others in the group.

So far, we had ordered hawker food, artisan soup stock from a chef (for those who cook at home),lots of cakes, snacks and pastries, eggs, durians, dessert, roast chicken and duck and even household appliances.

I got to know some of the residents in the process and we now exchange food regularly with each other.

All in, a win-win win solution.
Habrosus likes this.
Taloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Update: created the thing!

Hey so I built a webapp collectnearby(.com). You can find group-buy groups with the map location.

Edit: Actually not sure if this is considered advertising lol, will delete post if it is

Last edited by SplitDiscount; 12-07-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Old 13-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Hi, I think this is a good idea, as delivery fee could be $5-8 on grab. If delivery fee could be reduced even by half, it would so interesting to have.
Successor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

would be great if you can post your chat group / fb group on the site, or join mine if you're in bishan lol if you live close enough I can buy with you.
Old 14-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #8

Hey so I built a webapp collectnearby(.com). You can find group-buy groups with the map location.

Edit: Actually not sure if this is considered advertising lol, will delete post if it is
can teach how you create such app?
PrincZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

abit hard to share.. need to same craving to share delivery.. very tough
jasoncue is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.