Advice on Penang

studmufn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if they sell prepaid data sim card at the penang airport? i'm renting a car from the airport and driving to georgetown. but i will need data for google maps navigation.

without gps navigation, is it very difficult to find my way to georgetown? tried googling but couldn't find anything helpful.

withluck

Reaction score
anyone knows if they sell prepaid data sim card at the penang airport? i'm renting a car from the airport and driving to georgetown. but i will need data for google maps navigation.

without gps navigation, is it very difficult to find my way to georgetown? tried googling but couldn't find anything helpful.

At the airport, you can get Maxis, Celcom and Digi sim card. You will not get lost in Penang island and is easy to drive to George Town.

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

from airport to georgetown, take expressway all the way and you will be safe.very easy to drive.

my experience with google maps is it is very slow to response (iphone4). many times, if I were to follow it, I would have missed the turn. its better to check the map route before hand and use the gps as a backup.

Last edited:

Poryongming

Reaction score
Where to go for hawker food?

And which shopping mall to shop?
Just a few suggestions-Pulau Tikus market, Gottlieb Road Laksa, Lorong Selamat, Penang Road Chendol, Kimberley Street fried oysters...the list can go on forever.

For shopping mall, Gurney plaza or Queensbay mall further south

Last edited:

grumpyy

Reaction score
Hi all need some last min advise on Penang. Will be visiting this tuesday but still haven't plan on where to go :vijayadmin:.

I will be staying at Sunway Hotel. Main purpose will probably be to try the penang food, some shopping or visiting tourist spots.

• Is it very expensive to travel ard in taxis? How much will it costs from my hotel to Gurney Plaza?
  • Thinking of visiting Penang Hill. Is it worth the time to go? What is interesting there besides the view?
  • Any must try foods that I can walk to from my hotel? Dim sum and local food?
  • Will probably try use the CAT Free Shuttle service to explore ard? Any stops worth stopping?

Hope experts can help me out.

cherlynisin

Reaction score
  • Is it very expensive to travel ard in taxis? How much will it costs from my hotel to Gurney Plaza?
  • Thinking of visiting Penang Hill. Is it worth the time to go? What is interesting there besides the view?
  • Any must try foods that I can walk to from my hotel? Dim sum and local food?
  • Will probably try use the CAT Free Shuttle service to explore ard? Any stops worth stopping?

Hope experts can help me out.

Taxi- they don't use meter, so agree on a price before you go! A little on the pricey side but most places within Georgetown would cost RM10-15

Penang Hill- more for nature & the views. Don't need to go unless u like the funicular train and hiking

Food- Lorong Selamat Char kuay teow, Penang Rd asam laksa & teochew chendol (Joo Hooi cafe/ Keng Kwee street). Further- corner of Malay St/Carnarvon duck meat kway teo thng (soup)

CAT bus- only if you need to visit fort cornwallis, esplanade. most areas in town are walkable

studmufn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
from airport to georgetown, take expressway all the way and you will be safe.very easy to drive.

my experience with google maps is it is very slow to response (iphone4). many times, if I were to follow it, I would have missed the turn. its better to check the map route before hand and use the gps as a backup.

At the airport, you can get Maxis, Celcom and Digi sim card. You will not get lost in Penang island and is easy to drive to George Town.

Thanks! I picked up a digi prepaid sim and google maps worked well, navigated around quite easily.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at penang G hotel nw. just nw went hin heung to grab some tao sa pia, really damn crowded.. luckily made in before 5pm.

went to heng huat char kway teow but was too crowded... dint manage to eat. :(

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
our driver brought us to this market called lancang, all chinese food like a hawker center, the penang char kway teow is v nice...

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at penang G hotel nw. just nw went hin heung to grab some tao sa pia, really damn crowded.. luckily made in before 5pm.

went to heng huat char kway teow but was too crowded... dint manage to eat. :(

few shop house down the same street (10m?), directly opp the famous sell medical oil one, the ckt is on par or better than heng huat and the crowd is not so much.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
few shop house down the same street (10m?), directly opp the famous sell medical oil one, the ckt is on par or better than heng huat and the crowd is not so much.

i went further down abit but the ckt dint open... end up ate some other misc stuffs.. the oyster omelette is quite nice surprisingly.. the oyster quite big.

i feel that bringing small kids abit hard to go those popular places.. always crowded and its damn hot and warm.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to book your driver? How much?

was recommended by my hotel concierge, he charged us 50rm per hr, after 4hrs its 40rm per hour. 7 seater mpv...

find the charges okay so took it.. i got a toddler with me so its easier.

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was recommended by my hotel concierge, he charged us 50rm per hr, after 4hrs its 40rm per hour. 7 seater mpv...

find the charges okay so took it.. i got a toddler with me so its easier.

so 1 day nearly 500rm? wow very expensive. but if u dun mind paying for convenience, I guess is okie.

hope you enjoyed yourself.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.