Advice on Penang

Vismark

Reaction score
u will be surprise how close Sunway hotel is near to the street food. Its just like the coffeeshop under your HDB block...:s13::s13:.

That is why i always stay there when i am in Penang

Wow..like this I this time go there confirm fat liao,haha.
I see the taiwan food show,they say got a ying guo shi hotel there got buffet.For rm42 nia per pax.You got go before?

I travel by jetstar from 16-19 Nov and booked Tune hotel. It's cheaper and less crowded to travel during weekdays. I plan to explore the island for a few places like Penang hill, Kek Lock Si, spice garden and fruit farm. At night, can stroll at Pasir malam and gerney drive hawker fair. It's just for food and relax at this destination.

Haha,I is go on 19nov :)
I think I will also go those place you going,cause I check internet those are some of the place where tourist will go.

weehong21

Reaction score
Vismark,
are u talking about that buffet at one of the hotels at Batu Ferringhi on the show 食尚玩家? I only know its a hotel along the batu ferringhi beach. Cant remember the hotel name.

In my opinion, i dun think batu ferringhi is a nice place to go just for the buffet. You will get much better food ard komtar and chinatown area. First, we have to take a cab to batu ferringhi which prob cost RM30-40 per way, then there is nothing really much to walk there. Second, the pasar malam is really too touristy. selling on counterfiet DVD and bag.

hl-yeo,
if you are going to Kek Lock Si, remember to try the famous penang laksa at the bottom of the Kek Lock Si. Its superb...I feel that gurney drive hawker is over-priced and not as nice. I would strongly recommend that you try the hawker below Sunway hotel george town. There are much more locals there + food is nicer and cheaper

Last edited:

hl_yeo

Reaction score
hl-yeo,
if you are going to Kek Lock Si, remember to try the famous penang laksa at the bottom of the Kek Lock Si. Its superb...I feel that gurney drive hawker is over-priced and not as nice. I would strongly recommend that you try the hawker below Sunway hotel george town. There are much more locals there + food is nicer and cheaper[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. My Penang colleague told me to walk further up away from the shopping centre at Gurney drive as the food standard is better there.:s12::s12::s12:
I agree that the local hawker food near Sunway hotel is of great choices and offers with wide varieties.

Vismark

Reaction score
Vismark,
are u talking about that buffet at one of the hotels at Batu Ferringhi on the show 食尚玩家? I only know its a hotel along the batu ferringhi beach. Cant remember the hotel name.

In my opinion, i dun think batu ferringhi is a nice place to go just for the buffet. You will get much better food ard komtar and chinatown area. First, we have to take a cab to batu ferringhi which prob cost RM30-40 per way, then there is nothing really much to walk there. Second, the pasar malam is really too touristy. selling on counterfiet DVD and bag.

hl-yeo,
if you are going to Kek Lock Si, remember to try the famous penang laksa at the bottom of the Kek Lock Si. Its superb...I feel that gurney drive hawker is over-priced and not as nice. I would strongly recommend that you try the hawker below Sunway hotel george town. There are much more locals there + food is nicer and cheaper

Ya,I saw it on 食尚玩家 de.
So its not worth to go there ar.
Then I think maybe will just eat around my hotel there ba.
Then still got the bukit tambun the seafood,you got go there eat before?

tyroe1

Reaction score
Hi, anyone knows what are the best rates available for car rental in penang?

weehong21

Reaction score
Ya,I saw it on 食尚玩家 de.
So its not worth to go there ar.
Then I think maybe will just eat around my hotel there ba.
Then still got the bukit tambun the seafood,you got go there eat before?

Nope, not went there before...I am happy enuf with the food near Sunway...too much food, 2 night also cannot finish...:s13::s13:..

I think there is also a seafood resturant near Sunway. but not sure how good it is. Bascially, unless u have a car to drive you ard, it may not be too worthwhile going too far away for food:) The taxi will not take you for anything less than RM20 per trip

Last edited:

Vismark

Reaction score
Nope, not went there before...I am happy enuf with the food near Sunway...too much food, 2 night also cannot finish...:s13::s13:..

I think there is also a seafood resturant near Sunway. but not sure how good it is. Bascially, unless u have a car to drive you ard, it may not be too worthwhile going too far away for food:) The taxi will not take you for anything less than RM20 per trip

Oh..I think we will be booking a mini bus for us to go around.
Because I will be going with my relatives,total about 12 person.
Anyway,you know if there is any prawning shop at penang?
Or is there any relaxation place at penang.

weehong21

Reaction score
Oh, u got a mini bus, then can go its okie to hope ard. What places of relaxtion you are looking at?? I not sure if there is any prawning places in penang

I know that there is a couple of massage shop in the shopping centre near komtar (cant remember the name of the shopping centre)

U can go Gurney drive and walk along the sea-side & see people fishing. Or if you have your own transportation, u can consider a evening leisure walk at batu ferringhi. The amosphere there is quite relaxing to just see see walk walk. But like i say, i dun think its worth while to go if you need to go there by cab..

Vismark

Reaction score
Hmm..okay.
Actually still not sure whether will get the mini bus,cost don know the price yet.
Will go there and ask again.

hl_yeo

Reaction score
Just back from Penang. The public transport (Rapid Penang) is so convenient to go most tourist spots like Gurney drive (bus 101, 103 & 304), Kek Lok si (502, 204), Penang Hill (204), Queensbay (304), Airport to Comtar (401E), Chinatown (most buses), Sleeping buddha near pulau Tekus (101), Batu ferringi beach (101), Toy museum (101) plying from 6am to 11pm. Penang hil last bus 9pm. Most bus start from Weld quay and pass thru Comtar bus terminal. Bus interval 15-30 minutes depend on time and location.

For food choice, coffee shops near Red Rock Hotel (near comtar & sunway hotel) offered more than 40 stalls of popular penang food like BBQ seafood, Pizza, Penang kuay teow, Porridge, chee cheong fun, Hong kong noodles, Braised duck, BBQ chicken, Oyster Omelette, double boiled soup, kueh, Hay mee, wanton mee, lor bak, emperor noodles and sar hor fun.

Other places offer nice penang foods are Penang hill food centre near the round about junction leading to penang hill, gurney drive hawker centre, New world (next to tune hotel, Jalan Burma). The Penang road famous teo chew chendol at the back lane will be relocated. They opened an outlet at eatery street near Pacific Mall opposite the bridge.

For shopping, Queensbay is the largest shopping centre located near Penang bridge. The standard and size similar to KLCC, with lower price tag. Other recommended shopping centres are Gurney Plaza and Pacific Mall near Comtar.

We stayed at Tune Hotel, really value for money (less than S$20 per room per day), clean and comfortable. The location is centrally located, near comtar (12 min walking distance) and many eatery hawker stalls.

Last edited:

theclubmed

Reaction score
hi guys, i seen that some bros here asked about park royal hotel but it was quite awhile ago.
i myself had visited penang about 10years ago and park royal hotel was very good at tat time.
anyone have latest experience with them recently?

looking to rest and relax there. than dont mind taking transport to not so far places for good food.
any nice beach hotel near george town? budget not very tight. looking at april period.

by the way, any comments on G hotel? its not beside the beach right? from the map i see its like 1 street inbtween. thanks!

hl_yeo

Reaction score
hi guys, i seen that some bros here asked about park royal hotel but it was quite awhile ago.
i myself had visited penang about 10years ago and park royal hotel was very good at tat time.
anyone have latest experience with them recently?

looking to rest and relax there. than dont mind taking transport to not so far places for good food.
any nice beach hotel near george town? budget not very tight. looking at april period.

by the way, any comments on G hotel? its not beside the beach right? from the map i see its like 1 street inbtween. thanks!

G Hotel is next to Gurney drive plaza and near to the hawker centre. It is facing the sea, no seasport or activity along seaside.

Parkroyal is great for R & R along the beach with nice room. Food is average. Many other choices along the beach, there is food centre serving hawker food and seafood restaurant nearby.

theclubmed

Reaction score
Tks for the reply. Is the rms there clean n nice? Not rundown? My previous visit 10yrs ago park royal was v nice n new. Frm parkroyal to george town isit v far? If i wan clean nice beach for relax n sports only park royal area?

hl_yeo

Reaction score
Tks for the reply. Is the rms there clean n nice? Not rundown? My previous visit 10yrs ago park royal was v nice n new. Frm parkroyal to george town isit v far? If i wan clean nice beach for relax n sports only park royal area?

Parkroyal has been renovated with modern facilities and rooms. You can take rapid penang bus no. 101 to george town, it take around 40 minutes. There are many hotels along beach front of Batu ferringi.

come_5

Reaction score
cheapest is Mingood hotel
need to walk 10-15mins from Komtar to the hotel

very cheap
last time go with 3 frens
they got a room with 4 single beds
we stay 3nites only cost us less than SG$50 per head
:D

Hi is the area around Mingood hotel very quiet and dark at nite? am worry about safety especially when returning to the hotel at nite.

SPEED

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi is the area around Mingood hotel very quiet and dark at nite? am worry about safety especially when returning to the hotel at nite.

hmm quite since its not at the main road

but go in groups is ok.
i thk penang much safer than JB

Vismark

Reaction score
Just came back last night from Penang :)
Quite fun,my hotel down stair at night got many those da pai dang,and also got a lok lok stall.
Went there to eat for 2 night,the hokkien mee there is soup de,like prawn noodle soup,very nice,you can request for maggi mee noodles too,I ate that for both night :D
And the lok lok stall too,also not bad.
From 80cents to 1.40 RM.
I stay at Sunway Hotel at george town,near by there got a new shopping mall,think will complete by december.
There got quite alot of restaurant and shop open le.
We went there eat the Swensons,new open so got 30% discount.
We went there for 2 days of lunch too,and the 2nd day the waitress there gave us 3 cup of coke free with free refill,cause she say we go there eat for 2 days so treat us :D
And at 2nd floor there got 2 souvenir shop,1 of it sell those toys and plushie,the other one sell those clocks and decorations and watch.
They also got sell a miniature slot machine,1 big 1 small.
Eventually wanna buy the small de,but play for a while also never tio any winning =x
The staff try once also never tio.
Now there newly open,so got many shops have discount.
The shopping mall name is Penang Times Square,on top of it is condo,very nice design.

Motormouth

Reaction score
Penang is a food paradise. the hawker centre is called New Lane, in front of Sunway Hotel.
There are so many nice street food in Penang, its almost impossible to try them all.

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks...

Just uploaded my pics and write-up my recent trip to Penang

Just click on the titlebar to access, thank you:D:D:D

e51wizard

Reaction score
Taxi fare fr airport to Georgetown

Just returned fr Penang. The coupon fare fr airport to Georgetown is RM42. It claimed to be limousine but driver had problem in engaging to 3rd & 4th gear.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.