LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #31
High Supremacy Member

bookmarked.....
~Dragonite~ likes this.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #32
Junior Moderator

Since this thread came up, I'd like to give a review of Wahdah. The reservation process was simple enough, although I was prompted to scan my driving license and provide my credit card details online. Using the pick-up and return point at Sentral entails a RM60 surcharge, but the convenience was essential. However, they forgot about my child seat and as a result I had to follow the representative to their office near Angsana Mall to pick it up. What ensued was another half hour of expended time as we struggled with the seat, trying to secure it in the car. The representative I had was clueless, but he tried his best, and there was nobody else in office.
The car I got was the Proton Preve. Very thirsty for fuel, in my opinion, and the car could be cleaner.
Returning the car at the Caltex at Sentral was easy enough. I dropped the key into a box located on the wall. The RM300 deposit was returned to me a few weeks later.
I prefer Europcar at Baguss Hotel still. It is not so far a walk away from the CIQ, and their representative was knowledgeable in my previous 2 encounters with them.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #33

Thank you beanstalk6 for your post. I recently rented a car from Wahdah.

I have checked out Europcar, EconomyCarRentals, Wahdah.

So here's a summary of my findings.

Europcar
Location: Seems to be the best. 10mins walk from CIQ aka custom. Right behind City Square
Price: About the same among the rest
Deposit: Credit card. They will block around 1500SGD on your card

EconomyCarRentals
Location: Looks like a 20-30mins walk from map. Probably 10RM cab to the office. Not exactly sure though.
Deposit: Credit card. They will block around 1500SGD on your card

WahDah
Location: Looks like a 20-30mins walk from map. Probably 10RM to the JB Parking Area.
Pick-up: I paid 60RM more to collect at Caltex petrol station, right outside CIQ. If I knew collecting from Parking Area is FOC, I would have done that.
Deposit: 300RM, I paid via Paypal.

I wanted to go with Europcar but because I do not have a Credit Card, so I went with Wahdah instead. So here's my experience with Wahdah...

0830. Was there at Caltex, called assigned CSR. He was about 10mins late. Then later he advised the car I rented is in the Parking Area. He drove me to the parking area. Told me the car I rented just went for engine servicing, not advisable to drive deep into Malaysia. So he upgraded to another car for me FOC. I thought it was nice of him to think ahead for the customer. Petrol was not full, drove together to petrol station and he topped it up. By the time everything was settled, it was 0915.

I wasn't in a hurry so all the hassle was alright. But I think since I paid extra 60RM for collection at Caltex, they should have arranged everything beforehand. I was expecting a car to be there and 0830 and driving off after 15mins check. But oh well.

Here's the full breakdown of cost for my 48hrs trip from JB Sentral to Muar area.
Total cost:
352RM (rental 48hrs) +
60RM (pick up at caltex) +
44RM (toll) +
56RM (petrol 400KM mileage)
= 512RM

Anyway I created a thread asking about Grab/Uber vs Car Rental. If you have any info taking Grab/Uber from JB Sentral to other parts of Malaysia, do let me know. Thanks! Link here.
(http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ma...r-5660809.html)

Since this thread came up, I'd like to give a review of Wahdah. The reservation process was simple enough, although I was prompted to scan my driving license and provide my credit card details online. Using the pick-up and return point at Sentral entails a RM60 surcharge, but the convenience was essential. However, they forgot about my child seat and as a result I had to follow the representative to their office near Angsana Mall to pick it up. What ensued was another half hour of expended time as we struggled with the seat, trying to secure it in the car. The representative I had was clueless, but he tried his best, and there was nobody else in office.
The car I got was the Proton Preve. Very thirsty for fuel, in my opinion, and the car could be cleaner.
Returning the car at the Caltex at Sentral was easy enough. I dropped the key into a box located on the wall. The RM300 deposit was returned to me a few weeks later.
I prefer Europcar at Baguss Hotel still. It is not so far a walk away from the CIQ, and their representative was knowledgeable in my previous 2 encounters with them.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by vhungryy; 24-07-2017 at 02:50 PM..
vhungryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #34
Junior Moderator

To be precise, Europcar is at the Baguss Hotel, formerly known as the Amansari. From Komtar JBCC, simply cross Jln Wong Ah Fook outside the Metrojaya entrance on the ground floor. Europcar has tie-ins with Krisflyer for points. From my previous experience, the service representative is also more professional.

vhungryy do you know where is the parking area for Wahdah? Looks like Wahdah has a tendency to give the customer a late start.

I checked the location for EconomyCarRentals on Google Map and there does not appear to be any car rental establishment at that location.

Just to share, I have also rented from Hertz which is located at Menara Ansar, next to Kotaraya II.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 24-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #35

Here's the Wahdah Parking Area which is FOC if collect from there. https://goo.gl/maps/SizMUJboDD22

From CIQ/Custom..
1.9KM Drive.. (6mins based on Google Map)
1.2KM Walk.. (16mins based on Google Map)

To be precise, Europcar is at the Baguss Hotel, formerly known as the Amansari. From Komtar JBCC, simply cross Jln Wong Ah Fook outside the Metrojaya entrance on the ground floor. Europcar has tie-ins with Krisflyer for points. From my previous experience, the service representative is also more professional.

vhungryy do you know where is the parking area for Wahdah? Looks like Wahdah has a tendency to give the customer a late start.

I checked the location for EconomyCarRentals on Google Map and there does not appear to be any car rental establishment at that location.

Just to share, I have also rented from Hertz which is located at Menara Ansar, next to Kotaraya II.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 24-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #36

Economy Car Rental - JB Office Map
http://www.economycarrentals.com/go/...a/johor-bahru/

From CIQ/Custom..
3.1KM Drive.. (8mins based on Google Map, have to route a big round because of one-way street)
1.0KM Walk.. (14mins based on Google Map)
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by vhungryy; 24-07-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 28-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #37

i recently rented a Proton Iriz from Wahda. Collected from JB Sentral and drove up to Kuantan. Car is quite new with around 70k mileage. It's not a full tank when i collected, so i just top up at Mersing when drove all the way back to return. Just got my deposit refunded. Fuss free rental.
uncletakumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #38

i recently rented a Proton Iriz from Wahda. Collected from JB Sentral and drove up to Kuantan. Car is quite new with around 70k mileage. It's not a full tank when i collected, so i just top up at Mersing when drove all the way back to return. Just got my deposit refunded. Fuss free rental.
Hi,

May i ask what's the condition of the car you rented from Wahda? cigarette smell? clean interior? tires & brakes good?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #39

Can a Proton Saga FL 1.3 drive all the way to Penang?

Asking a noob qn. Can a Proton Saga FL 1.3 drive all the way to Penang? Or should I get a bigger engine car?
tian_cai007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #40
Junior Moderator

Asking a noob qn. Can a Proton Saga FL 1.3 drive all the way to Penang? Or should I get a bigger engine car?
Our friends up north do this all the time. By all means get something with greater capacity if you want a stable drive.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #41
Junior Moderator

Another opportunity to post in this thread comes from recent experience last weekend. This time I picked up a Proton Persona from Europcar on Thursday and returned it on Saturday. The vehicle was clean enough and only the remote key did not work. The service at Europcar is as pleasant as ever. I'm nitpicking by saying that they haven't fixed the gap between the flight of stairs between the Europcar office and the road.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #42
PC
Supremacy Member

Another opportunity to post in this thread comes from recent experience last weekend. This time I picked up a Proton Persona from Europcar on Thursday and returned it on Saturday. The vehicle was clean enough and only the remote key did not work. The service at Europcar is as pleasant as ever. I'm nitpicking by saying that they haven't fixed the gap between the flight of stairs between the Europcar office and the road.
i intend to rent from Europcar, can i ask if their car park is near their office and when u return car, is it just drop off key and go off?

i'm asking as i notice they close at 530pm, i intend to get the car first and leave it there while i go have dinner at city sq. then i'll return the car on a sunday which i saw they are not open. thanks in advance
PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
Junior Moderator

i intend to rent from Europcar, can i ask if their car park is near their office and when u return car, is it just drop off key and go off?

i'm asking as i notice they close at 530pm, i intend to get the car first and leave it there while i go have dinner at city sq. then i'll return the car on a sunday which i saw they are not open. thanks in advance
There is a car park near their office and it is possible to drop the key, though I have never done that myself. Call them to confirm.
Old 13-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #44

Last month i rented car from Hicars in JB. Their office is not based in city but they willing to send the car for me to pickup in JBCC without charges. The rates was pretty decent and Im quite satisfied with car condition too. They even provide discounted rate for returning customer.
LiyaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #45

Last month i rented car from Hicars in JB. Their office is not based in city but they willing to send the car for me to pickup in JBCC without charges. The rates was pretty decent and Im quite satisfied with car condition too. They even provide discounted rate for returning customer.
How much did you pay? Thanks
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.