HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Duty free

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Duty free

Iím travelling to KL by Scoot next week. As stated on the ICA website, thereís no duty-free concession on liquor products for people arriving from Malaysia.

Since this is specific to on arrival from Malaysia, how about on departure to Malaysia? Can I buy at the departure hall? If yes, is it with tax or without tax?
ohmyglob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

You may be able to buy duty-free at Changi or at the Malaysian airport of your arrival. This is subject to Malaysian customs regulation, and not Singapore.
http://www.customs.gov.my/en/tp/Pages/tp_tg.aspx
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

You may be able to buy duty-free at Changi or at the Malaysian airport of your arrival. This is subject to Malaysian customs regulation, and not Singapore.
http://www.customs.gov.my/en/tp/Pages/tp_tg.aspx
Thanks! Iím planning to buy at Changi before the flight if itís allowed, regardless with tax or not. Need to redeem points on my DFS Loyal T card...
Old 16-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

The questions to ask: 1) are you staying over 72 hours in Malaysia? 2) are you going to bring the item back here?
Old 16-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Master Member

Yeah. I always wondered about the Green/Red Lane at the customs check.

eg. if I'm travelling into M'sia for >72 hrs, I'm entitled to Wine/spirit/malt/liquor not exceeding 1 liter. So if I buy my entitlement on arrival, do I go to the Green or Red lane?

And let's say I bought a litre of whiskey into M'sia, finish half of it. Am I allowed to bring in the remaining 500ml back to Singapore?

Based on my understanding, the answer is no but can you declare it on arrival in Singapore and pay the prevailing duties on the remaining 500ml?
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

My opinion is based on https://www.customs.gov.sg/individua...elief#DutyFree
1) You can go onto the Green Lane in Malaysia, since you are within your limits and thus you have nothing to declare and pay duties for.
2) You have no duty-free entitlement since you are coming in from Malaysia and it is the Red Lane for you to declare and pay duties (including GST) for the 500ml.
Old 16-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

there is no duty free allowance for passenger coming in from malaysia.

if you want to bring in your remaining liquor, go to counter and pay your duties.

if you ignore and go via green, we will see your story in newspaper.
BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #8

I don't think 500ml gets you face time in the news for misusing the Green Lane.
Old 16-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #9

The questions to ask: 1) are you staying over 72 hours in Malaysia? 2) are you going to bring the item back here?
About 54 hours from departure from Singapore to arrival in Singapore and I have no intention to bring the 200ml bottle back. Buy at Changi, bring over to KL and finish at the hotel. Just need to utilise the DFS Loyal T points before it all expires.

Anyone knows if I can buy from DFS before my flight? I donít mind even if itís not tax free

Last edited by ohmyglob; 16-09-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Old 17-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

About 54 hours from departure from Singapore to arrival in Singapore and I have no intention to bring the 200ml bottle back. Buy at Changi, bring over to KL and finish at the hotel. Just need to utilise the DFS Loyal T points before it all expires.

Anyone knows if I can buy from DFS before my flight? I donít mind even if itís not tax free
before you complete the purchase, the cashier will ask for boarding pass and passport. at that point, they will determine if you are eligible to buy.

Last edited by BigMonkey; 17-09-2019 at 11:05 AM..
BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #11

Yeah. I always wondered about the Green/Red Lane at the customs check.

eg. if I'm travelling into M'sia for >72 hrs, I'm entitled to Wine/spirit/malt/liquor not exceeding 1 liter. So if I buy my entitlement on arrival, do I go to the Green or Red lane?

And let's say I bought a litre of whiskey into M'sia, finish half of it. Am I allowed to bring in the remaining 500ml back to Singapore?

Based on my understanding, the answer is no but can you declare it on arrival in Singapore and pay the prevailing duties on the remaining 500ml?
First point might already be wrong as I recall, no buying of duty free alcohol into singapore if you are travelling from West malaysia
jt2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
Master Member

First point might already be wrong as I recall, no buying of duty free alcohol into singapore if you are travelling from West malaysia
Yeah. Everyone knows that.

But I did say I was buying it in M'sia DFS and bringing it back to Spore an half-finished 1-litre bottle of whiskey.
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #13

before you complete the purchase, the cashier will ask for boarding pass and passport. at that point, they will determine if you are eligible to buy.
Yeah, up to 1 litre per passenger for departure to KL
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.