Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbmars1128

Reaction score
Whoa! Can share what you normally buy?

I also started buying groceries which has always been left to my mum. Titbits too(mum don't eat). For example we consume Kimball Thai chilli sauce.

I notice in sg only the smallest 300ml is sold in local supermkts. Biggest bottle is in supermarkets in Malaysia. Though the medium version is available locally it is not common (only saw in Sheng Siong).

KimBallChilliSauce.jpg

All 3 bottles originate from Malaysia in same factory. Is just packaged differently.

No prize for guessing why the smallest bottle is sold in sg- least value in terms of price/gram.

Smallest bottle price range from S$1.15(ntuc, sheng siong) to S$1.40(shop & save). Smallest bottle not sold in Msia mkt.

Just saw teh middle bottle sold at my work place, 335ml for $1.2 which is quite similar in pricing for the smallest bottle. How much it cost in MY? I would prefer TESCO's pricing as they are more competitive unless Jusco has promotional offers. But just frankly, I don't buy such item because it isn't really significant in saving and also heavy due to glass bottle

bbmars1128

Reaction score
I buy following from JB on regular basis:

1. Daily contact lens from wifey for about 50% price difference
2. Anlene milk powder 37RM for 1.2kg but sold for 23SGD in SG
3. Snacks from Kapitan

And watch movie (about 50% cheaper) and makan too...

Snacks from Kapitan? Why buy there? That place I would avoid because stuff sold there are generally either same price or marginally cheaper than SG or sometimes cost more especially grocery items and sometimes, even MY local produce which I had encountered.

bbmars1128

Reaction score
Dutch lady milk also cheaper in MY.
Same goes for tuna.

Dutch Lady milk, 1L pack currently SG having promotion, twin pack is cheaper than MY. I bought few times already. Without promotion is indeed cheaper by ~40c-50c, Bought from few places in SG not sure promotion still on, 2 for $2.95. Ayam Tuna, lots depends, bearly margainally cheaper 5-10c. Promotional price in SG would be cheaper. So not worth bring back.

I had all these items check prior to my 1st few trips over there, then I mainly buy from TESCO unless Jusco has promotion. Unless no choice, Jusco isn't my choice.

bbmars1128

Reaction score
Anyway, other items that I buy:

1. Juliet sandwich biscuit, at UO store ~$2.4 NTUC 4.2 (price just went up past few weeks)
2. Toothbrush & paste, Colgate sensitive, etc.. UO store. Not even TESCO, forget about JUSCO. However, recently I started buying from Chinatown as I go for TCM every Saturday, even cheaper
3. Cashew nuts snack pack (~120g) - UO store, TESCO cost more, JUSCO even more. SG price, Sheng Siong, NUTC, cost ~ $1 or more.
4. some candies like jelly, UO store.
5. Knorr seafood soup base - UO store. light weight, ~40c
6. Knoor instant porridge TESCO 3 in 1 pack RM3.5 NTUC current promotion, buy 1 get 1 free $1.5
7. Cali-yum, cup yakult by fernleave - twin tray pk RM7.99 SG prices $2.5/tray

idone2u

Reaction score
Watch movies at tebrau with citibank card only rm10. Less than $5.

some other stuff, auntie Anne's pretzels
you do not want to use your credit card in Malaysia - for items like these...
reason: the credit card company covert RM to USD then to SGD before billing you.
So you end up paying more than the normal exchange rate.

I booked Dorsette Rooms in KL during the Singapore visit Malaysia fair for SGD99 per nite. I signed with credit card in Singapore.... but then the Dorsette uses Malaysia Credit card - send to Malaysia and then charged back to me in Spore. My bill was SGD110 or something like that ! I screamed and shouted... and finally - the DBS Bank offset my difference with some vouchers of something (movies etc)

If you are booking Malaysia hotels in Singapore during the Visit Malaysia Fair - please pay in cash - better in RM (go to money changer and change ) then you will truely enjoy the savings....

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, which I do not understand, tesco does allow sgd to be used. And the thing is, they give a higher exchange rate. eg money changer in Malaysia gives 2.43, tesco gives 2.46.

Anyone got an idea why? Been thinking, might as well use sgd instead cause higher exchange. Any differences, they will refund in ringgit.

idone2u

Reaction score
Surprisingly, which I do not understand, tesco does allow sgd to be used. And the thing is, they give a higher exchange rate. eg money changer in Malaysia gives 2.43, tesco gives 2.46.

Anyone got an idea why? Been thinking, might as well use sgd instead cause higher exchange. Any differences, they will refund in ringgit.
actually the money changer also give higher than displayed rates - you need to ask.. and of course change like SGD500 like that..

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually the money changer also give higher than displayed rates - you need to ask.. and of course change like SGD500 like that..

This one no need ask le. I bought a set of batteries, rm1.90, used sgd10. Don't even need to ask or beg them to give me more.

Don't even need sgd500.

bbmars1128

Reaction score

Just my guess, there arew few reasons why they want to do so. Of cousre, only they know.

Hedging purposes, probably realise that SG$ is still going to rise up to RM. I believe they can get even better rates for offering such rate. I don't think they are authorise money changer. therefore it make sense to them to do besides, most establishment does that like hotels every where. Even JUSCO has it, but not at very favourable rate. Besides, it would be good when paying for products imported from SG. Cheaper paying for in SG without paying commission just by collecting from their own customers. Not sure how much they have collected, but many of my colleagues are now paying in SG$ and even paying extra in order to exchange for RM at the counter.

You don't find such services available in KL TESCO only in JB as I found out. Anyway, SG$ is making new higher against RM again I think. CNA on TV rate was 2.466 last night, seems like may even hit 250 as someone suggested in financial news. any true?

Last edited:

idone2u

Reaction score
This one no need ask le. I bought a set of batteries, rm1.90, used sgd10. Don't even need to ask or beg them to give me more.

Don't even need sgd500.
you ah - buy SGD 0.80 then expect them to change like RM 20 plus...

bloodymiko

Reaction score
sorry - depavali holiday is wed... got jam or not?

just my 2'cents worth.... previously on many occassions i'd tried entering jb on PH ard 8am at the woodlands custom and it's already having massive jams... unless u might want to go earlier than 8am..... if not, probably the jam will hold u back for ard 2-3 hrs....

writetodonkey

Master Member
Reaction score

Don't even need sgd500.

tekster, did you count the amount of change they return you?
I have a friend that told me, they will give you the balance change in RM 1 for 1 so you will actually lose out. Not unless you always give exact SGD. I do not know if it is a one off mistake by the cashier or a policy.

I always give exact so i never encounter before.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tekster, did you count the amount of change they return you?
I have a friend that told me, they will give you the balance change in RM 1 for 1 so you will actually lose out. Not unless you always give exact SGD. I do not know if it is a one off mistake by the cashier or a policy.

I always give exact so i never encounter before.

Never lose out le. Say u take sgd10. In rm will be 24.60 (exchange at that time 2.46 @ tesco while Money changer was 2.43}. They deduct the product amount then give u back the change le.

idone2u

Reaction score
just my 2'cents worth.... previously on many occassions i'd tried entering jb on PH ard 8am at the woodlands custom and it's already having massive jams... unless u might want to go earlier than 8am..... if not, probably the jam will hold u back for ard 2-3 hrs....
Thanks

- the plans are now off - cos my Latio gear box died - warded - no car until thurs nite!

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
My frd likes to buy DVD, ciggarette, sugar, oil, chewing gum and condoms, some facial stuff and some gels and lotion as they cost much lesser there, but small qty as the first few five items are prohibited/ controlled items

bkmailsg

Reaction score
Condoms??? :s31:
My frd likes to buy DVD, ciggarette, sugar, oil, chewing gum and condoms, some facial stuff and some gels and lotion as they cost much lesser there, but small qty as the first few five items are prohibited/ controlled items

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

with public holiday on Wednesday, there's 2 scenarios.

1) people take mon.and tues leave so they can go long trip from sat
2) people take leave on thurs Fri so can do long trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.